Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Who else loves Star Wars and Mythras?

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Who else loves Star Wars and Mythras?

Postby Icefield » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:57 pm

I have started a Star Wars game and used my Mythras Rule Book as the basis for a rule set for Star Wars. I have run Star Wars games in other systems in the past, and the game has always felt kind of simplistic and meatless to me. But my first Mythras Star Wars has been going strong for a while now.

Anyone else had fantastic results from using Mythras (or RQ6) in a Galaxy Far Far Away...?
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Re: Who else loves Star Wars and Mythras?

Postby Clarence Redd » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:31 am

While not exactly Star Wars, my M-SPACE games tend to be very close to "mythic sci-fi" (as I sometimes call SW, after reading A Hero with a Thousand Faces). It works perfectly. I haven't played much official SW, other than trying WEG's version, but to me BRP/Mythras is flexible enough to accomodate both epic/heroic/pulpy sci-fi, as well as gritty near-future settings. It just works.

One of the tropes I'm not using is Light side/Dark side forces. How do you emulate that in your games?
Clarence Redd

Postby soltakss » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Did you know that Once Upon a Time in a galaxy far, far away, there was a Star Wars supplement for a certain D100-styled game that changed its name fairly recently?

Apparently, sending a PM to someone who may, or may not, have a copy of said supplement may, or may not, result in an email being sent with the supplement as an attachment.

Just saying ...
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby Icefield » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:44 pm

Clarence Redd wrote:While not exactly Star Wars, my M-SPACE games tend to be very close to "mythic sci-fi" (as I sometimes call SW, after reading A Hero with a Thousand Faces). It works perfectly. I haven't played much official SW, other than trying WEG's version, but to me BRP/Mythras is flexible enough to accomodate both epic/heroic/pulpy sci-fi, as well as gritty near-future settings. It just works.

One of the tropes I'm not using is Light side/Dark side forces. How do you emulate that in your games?

I think that sounds like a great way to do it, M-Space that is. What a great rule book.

For the whole Force dichotomy, and mental state I use two mechanics. I have my own home brew hack guide which I made, in which I use a stat called Psyche that is like Sanity in that it uses the POW stat as its value. Psyche is the character's mental status, and for characters who are Light Side doing things that are cruel, or aggressively selfish (I benefit from your loss) will lose Psyche, whereas Dark Side characters lose Psyche from being defeated, or subjugated, or having to use will to keep from acting aggressively. Psyche gets low enough and the character takes difficulty grade penalties. Psyche is also useful for the non-Force game because the universe itself has this thing called the Force and so its appropriate I think to gauge actions based on this standard.

For dichotomy Characters have a slider that I monitor which looks like a number line with 0 in the middle and 1-10 on either side. Hitting the 6th integer on the dark side indicates Dark Side corruption, which is hard to recover from if you are not trying to be evil. Some Force Powers or force powers used in certain ways (as well as mundane actions) can garner either a Psyche penalty (or boost), a move on the Force Dichotomy scale, or both. Some force powers like Transcend require a certain position on the scale to attempt or to attempt at Standard difficulty.

I originally had no mechanism for this but I found that players tended to do whatever actions that had utility without really considering the moral stance, and there was no feel to the game. At one point in an earlier game I felt the players had made characters that were supposed to be good guys but had looked too closely into the void and decided to be space murder hobos. I let that game play out but decided that in the future I needed some context for stuff to make it feel like a Japanese space western faerie tale :)
Icefield

Postby Matt_E » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:31 pm

It sounds like your dichotomy slider could be handily converted into a Passion (Light Side) or Passion (Dark Side) by multiplying the slider's position by 10 to get a percentage, then assigning it to the appropriate Passion. This would integrate it more tightly with the core rules, such that it becomes obvious how to use the score to make skill attempts harder or easier.

Personally, I think I would use the rules for Mysticism to model the Path of the Jedi and of the Sith. Then this Passion would become a Mysticism score, and it still could be used as a Passion when needed. The slider effect could be duplicated by having the Paths be mutually exclusive; you can't be a Jedi and a Sith (although your Meditation score would carry over, if you flipped sides).
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Icefield » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Matt_E wrote:It sounds like your dichotomy slider could be handily converted into a Passion (Light Side) or Passion (Dark Side) by multiplying the slider's position by 10 to get a percentage, then assigning it to the appropriate Passion. This would integrate it more tightly with the core rules, such that it becomes obvious how to use the score to make skill attempts harder or easier.

Personally, I think I would use the rules for Mysticism to model the Path of the Jedi and of the Sith. Then this Passion would become a Mysticism score, and it still could be used as a Passion when needed. The slider effect could be duplicated by having the Paths be mutually exclusive; you can't be a Jedi and a Sith (although your Meditation score would carry over, if you flipped sides).

I think I did make a big clunky thing there lol. I wanted it to be something that the players had a sense of, but not have a clear mechanical measure. I'm gonna alter it to be more like what you are saying though because that is a great idea that gives the scale more purpose, as well as making it line up with the rules better. Thank you very much Matt :)
Icefield

Postby Clarence Redd » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:51 pm

The good thing with a slider is that you get an either/or value. Characters are either good or bad, not a little bit of both. With two values, some way to link them might be necessary. Or are characters on the light side as long as Passion (Light side) is the highest value?

I've been experimenting with both of these concepts for my next game (Odd Soot, more CoC than SW though). So far, I'm leaning towards a slider, as it's really simple to grasp: EGO at -20 and SELF at +20. Contrary to SW, characters will become more and more "broken" the lower the value, having Weaknesses taking over (like drug abuse, cleptomacy, compulsive lying etcetera). There are no clear benefits with a negative value, only tragedy. And Odd Soot is meant to produce tragic heroes : )
Clarence Redd

Postby Icefield » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Clarence Redd wrote:The good thing with a slider is that you get an either/or value. Characters are either good or bad, not a little bit of both. With two values, some way to link them might be necessary. Or are characters on the light side as long as Passion (Light side) is the highest value?

I've been experimenting with both of these concepts for my next game (Odd Soot, more CoC than SW though). So far, I'm leaning towards a slider, as it's really simple to grasp: EGO at -20 and SELF at +20. Contrary to SW, characters will become more and more "broken" the lower the value, having Weaknesses taking over (like drug abuse, cleptomacy, compulsive lying etcetera). There are no clear benefits with a negative value, only tragedy. And Odd Soot is meant to produce tragic heroes : )

Yeah good points. I think I will keep the slider but the passion idea is good too because by taking his suggestion and applying it to a multiple of 10 (not a math genius so forgive if wrong) I can now roll against their Dark Side/Light Side like a passion. So the deeper you go the more it affects you, which is pretty cool. I mean Yoda would be pretty damn hard to tempt into doing something crappy (other than lying to Luke) lol.
Icefield

Postby Matt_E » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Clarence Redd wrote: The good thing with a slider is that you get an either/or value. Characters are either good or bad, not a little bit of both

Yeah, I realized that after I started going down that road. But I did try to fix it: :-)

Matt_E wrote: The slider effect could be duplicated by having the Paths be mutually exclusive; you can't be a Jedi and a Sith (although your Meditation score would carry over, if you flipped sides).
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Clarence Redd » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:31 am

Yes, using a percentage value should simplify things. And the Passion mechanics are a very neat system. Having the dark side/light side Passions mutually exclusive also sounds like good idea. Hmm, a Passion slider?
Clarence Redd

Next

Return to General Gaming & Discussion