Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Which crazy worlds?

Re: Which crazy worlds?

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Pete wrote:
Icefield wrote:Iain M. Banks?

Of course. There can be no other.

I must rectify my ignorance in this matter :)
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Postby rust » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Icefield wrote: Is Thalassa a Space Opera game, or a Space Dark Age game where the technology is not working/available, but exists?

I think it is closer to hard science fiction than to space opera, because starships are the only "miracle technology" in this setting, all other technology of the setting does already exist in our real world, at least at a prototype stage. The characters are colonists on a recently colonized water world and almost all of their adventures will happen there, on and mostly under the ocean. The "space opera part" is only required to get the colonists to Thalassa, supply them with goods and enable them to visit other inhabited planets now and then, but the characters are not spacefarers.
rust

Postby Pentallion » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:07 pm

I think my craziest setting was my Already Dead campaign set at the very end of the Gods War in Glorantha as the last of the I Fought, We Won war was reaching its climax. The adventures start with the heroes hanging by nooses. They've been there for days and are Already Dead when the adventure begins. They are now undead. They retain all their skills in their previous life, but have no idea who they were or where they are. So the players have no idea they're even in Glorantha and that it's the end of the I Fought, We Won war. How'd they become undead? What necromancy caused this and why? They even have to discover what skills they possess.

To make matters more interesting, unknown to them, in their previous lives they were all part of a cult of Trickster Assassins. It's the one clue they have to their identity, they each have a tattoo of a bloody clown on their, ahem, "daggers".

The whole thing turns out to be an origin story for Arachne Solara and how she creates Time.
Pentallion

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:32 pm

rust wrote:
Icefield wrote: Is Thalassa a Space Opera game, or a Space Dark Age game where the technology is not working/available, but exists?

I think it is closer to hard science fiction than to space opera, because starships are the only "miracle technology" in this setting, all other technology of the setting does already exist in our real world, at least at a prototype stage. The characters are colonists on a recently colonized water world and almost all of their adventures will happen there, on and mostly under the ocean. The "space opera part" is only required to get the colonists to Thalassa, supply them with goods and enable them to visit other inhabited planets now and then, but the characters are not spacefarers.

Nice! Is it focused on survival with limited means?
Icefield

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Pentallion wrote:I think my craziest setting was my Already Dead campaign set at the very end of the Gods War in Glorantha as the last of the I Fought, We Won war was reaching its climax. The adventures start with the heroes hanging by nooses. They've been there for days and are Already Dead when the adventure begins. They are now undead. They retain all their skills in their previous life, but have no idea who they were or where they are. So the players have no idea they're even in Glorantha and that it's the end of the I Fought, We Won war. How'd they become undead? What necromancy caused this and why? They even have to discover what skills they possess.

To make matters more interesting, unknown to them, in their previous lives they were all part of a cult of Trickster Assassins. It's the one clue they have to their identity, they each have a tattoo of a bloody clown on their, ahem, "daggers".

The whole thing turns out to be an origin story for Arachne Solara and how she creates Time.

That is a very interesting way to start a game. Did they have problems interacting with the living?
Icefield

Postby Pentallion » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:50 pm

Icefield wrote:
Pentallion wrote:I think my craziest setting was my Already Dead campaign set at the very end of the Gods War in Glorantha as the last of the I Fought, We Won war was reaching its climax. The adventures start with the heroes hanging by nooses. They've been there for days and are Already Dead when the adventure begins. They are now undead. They retain all their skills in their previous life, but have no idea who they were or where they are. So the players have no idea they're even in Glorantha and that it's the end of the I Fought, We Won war. How'd they become undead? What necromancy caused this and why? They even have to discover what skills they possess.

That is a very interesting way to start a game. Did they have problems interacting with the living?

At times it was,, but it wasn't readily apparent they were dead once they realized one of them was really good at the disguise skill.
Pentallion

Postby rust » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:54 am

Icefield wrote: Is it focused on survival with limited means?

In a way, yes, although at the moment the focus is more on exploration and development with limited means - "get to know your new home and turn it into something you can like".
rust

Postby Jefferiot » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:06 pm

Icefield wrote:I read the material on the Hussites setting. Very interesting. Can I ask how you came to be interested in this particular place and time in History?

I wanted switch the focus of my learning back to the medieval era, but without the D&D approoach, this time. My focus had been in the bronze age for decades. And I wanted to learn about the politics and the manner of war that depended less on massive blocks of infantry. I have rules for black powder weapons that I can put to good use, including cannons and was curious about how war wagon tactics might relate to colonial American settler wagon train circles used to defend against hostile "Indians." I also wanted to learn about the religion that chased settlers to America. There may be two dozen reasons, so these are just some of them.
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby hkokko » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Glorantha - currently my Gloranthan campaign is in Monster Island with Afadjanni and friends. Used to be for longest time in Pavis/Prax, Balazar, Sartar (Whitewall) for a bit.
hkokko

Postby Matt_E » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:53 am

Icefield wrote:
Matt_E wrote:Simple homebrew campaign that to me is Low Fantasy (but I suspect others might say it has some slight flavors of High Fantasy)

Are there Great Old Ones in this Campaign?

There have been none yet, but that is not to say that there could never be any. I don't have everything all plotted out.

If you are looking for Cthulhu-esque flavor, I have a project in the works that might fit the bill. It's about aAAAAUGHRT HLP

THERE IS NO CAUSE FOR ALARM. THE BEING KNOWN AS MATT IS WELL. RESUME GAMING DISCUSSION.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

PreviousNext

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences