Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Which crazy worlds?

Re: Which crazy worlds?

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:49 am

Amazing stuff. I think the inherent attention to detail that Mythras requires results in interesting choices. I see that there is a lot of Historical and S&S use of the system, but there are also some very ambitious mod setups (how in the hell did you run Dune? The mere thought of trying to emulate the Bene Gesserit without it being ridiculously overpowered is my gom jabbar). Someone mentioned Star Wars, and I can't wait to run a Mythras game in the SWU.

Eberron was a bit of a surprise to me, but I think that a Mythras Eberron that was not converted to the new Fantasy rules might actually be superior. I felt like the Eberron setting was constrained by the D&D rules in a lot of ways.

Pete mentioned a James Bond game in Cuba, which is amazing. That you guys played a game while on a trip to Cuba is just plain badass. Makes me feel like less of a weirdo to know that others would do such a thing. I go to amazing places and enjoy them, but I spend half the time storing the visuals and thinking up ways to use that experience in storytelling.

Thank you all for sharing this information. It is inspiring to imagine your fantastic worlds.
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:52 am

Pete wrote:I have run numerous games in a wide variety of settings. Julian May's Many Coloured Land, Conan's Hyborian Age, Arakis of Dune fame, a week-long 007 Bond adventure I ran in Cuba (seemed fitting), a hard sci-fi Space Marines campaign which the players just finished on Monday, the lands of Prydain (which was the in-house play-testing campaign), Monster Island of course being my own personal S&S setting, and Loz's favourite - an occasional Special Circumstances game set in Banks' Culture.

In addition I've also run a few historical one-offs set during the British Raj and 1920's Egypt. But I am rather eclectic in my tastes.

Iain M. Banks?
Icefield

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:55 am

raleel wrote:I've done a Hyborian age game and am starting a Greyhawk one here on Friday. I can see a Star Wars one in my future as well

Hyborian Game, Star Wars, and Greyhawk in the same post. Overload of greatness :) Please post any details of your Star Wars game, I would love to read about your D100 adventures in a Galaxy Far Far Away. Also for the Greyhawk Game where in Greyhawk did it start?
Icefield

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:56 am

loz wrote:Oh, I almost forgot.

Tudor England.

Henry VIII era?
Icefield

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:59 am

rust wrote:At the moment I am working on two campaigns which use the Mythras rules. Bhotana is an alternate history / pulp campaign about a version of Bhutan in the 1920s and Thalassa is a science fiction campaign about the development of a remote water world colony.

These sound great. I think it is a testament to the system that it is so readily used for historically inspired games. Is Thalassa a Space Opera game, or a Space Dark Age game where the technology is not working/available, but exists?
Icefield

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:01 pm

Matt_E wrote:Simple homebrew campaign that to me is Low Fantasy (but I suspect others might say it has some slight flavors of High Fantasy)

Are there Great Old Ones in this Campaign?
Icefield

Postby raleel » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:10 pm

Icefield wrote:
raleel wrote:I've done a Hyborian age game and am starting a Greyhawk one here on Friday. I can see a Star Wars one in my future as well

Hyborian Game, Star Wars, and Greyhawk in the same post. Overload of greatness :) Please post any details of your Star Wars game, I would love to read about your D100 adventures in a Galaxy Far Far Away. Also for the Greyhawk Game where in Greyhawk did it start?

Star Wars doesn't exist yet, but I can see it happening.

Greyhawk starts this Friday with Hommlet, because This Is The Way Campaigns Are Supposed To Start™. I am breaking convention by skipping the intro to Hommlet and doing an in media res start with the brigands in the moathouse and having them already know Elmo, Burne, Terjon, and Rufus.

I wanted to do a very classic fantasy game, and I can run a lot of T1-4 off the top of my head. It also leads nicely into A1-4, which I've never run. Aspirationally, I'd like to go through the whole damn thing. I would be happy with that :)

Currently we have a Gnome Cleric of Garl Glittergold (aka Biljin from CF) who has the single highest set of stats I've ever seen, an elf fighter/magic user with a glaive (I allow you to remove and replace your hand for spellcasting without requiring you to "draw" your weapon again, but you can't parry well with it in the middle of spellcasting) who is an agent of the Viscount of Verbobanc, and a half-orc (civilized culture) barbarian who is the adopted son of a wealthy merchant in Verbobanc.

The elf hates orcs, the half-orc hates magic. The gnome has a beertie-koozy from a paramour in Kron Hills 90210. I expect a thief and a paladin or cavalier will join the motley crew.
raleel

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:20 pm

Jefferiot wrote:I like to use worlds from video games and commercial setting packs sometimes, but usually I make my own from history and from prophecy.

To professional historians and professional theologians the real history and prophecy usually sounds crazy, in my opinion.

My active campaign is set in early fifteenth century Bohemia and environs. The church has martyred Jan Huss and the Hussites are preparing war wagon and blunderbuss tactics to resist the inevitable crusade against their religious freedom.

The following link has more background on the setting.

http://www.warfareeast.co.uk/main/Hussites.htm

I read the material on the Hussites setting. Very interesting. Can I ask how you came to be interested in this particular place and time in History?
Icefield

Postby Pete » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Icefield wrote:Iain M. Banks?

Of course. There can be no other.
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:32 pm

raleel wrote:
Icefield wrote:

Star Wars doesn't exist yet, but I can see it happening.

Greyhawk starts this Friday with Hommlet, because This Is The Way Campaigns Are Supposed To Start™. I am breaking convention by skipping the intro to Hommlet and doing an in media res start with the brigands in the moathouse and having them already know Elmo, Burne, Terjon, and Rufus.

I wanted to do a very classic fantasy game, and I can run a lot of T1-4 off the top of my head. It also leads nicely into A1-4, which I've never run. Aspirationally, I'd like to go through the whole damn thing. I would be happy with that :)

Currently we have a Gnome Cleric of Garl Glittergold (aka Biljin from CF) who has the single highest set of stats I've ever seen, an elf fighter/magic user with a glaive (I allow you to remove and replace your hand for spellcasting without requiring you to "draw" your weapon again, but you can't parry well with it in the middle of spellcasting) who is an agent of the Viscount of Verbobanc, and a half-orc (civilized culture) barbarian who is the adopted son of a wealthy merchant in Verbobanc.

The elf hates orcs, the half-orc hates magic. The gnome has a beertie-koozy from a paramour in Kron Hills 90210. I expect a thief and a paladin or cavalier will join the motley crew.

So cool. I like the way you handle the glaive btw. The only thing that would make Greyhawk better to me is to remove the D&D stuff so that the place can acquire an identity that is more intuitive. I also like that you have this crazy party starting in the starting location of all starting locations lol. Good luck to you on your Greyhawk Campaign, and may Istus not remain aloof to your efforts.
Icefield

PreviousNext

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences