Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

When PCs bring many NPCs to the party

Re: When PCs bring many NPCs to the party

Postby Pat_Henry » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:07 pm

Runeblogger wrote:the PC doing the hiring does not want to tell the mercenaries what they expect to face. So, does anyone have any suggestions for morale rules for the bandits/ronin? I feel that if I handwave that, some of my players may complain.

Going off the Shield Wall rules, I would treat any attempt to deliberately deceive or mislead an army as an automatic failure to the "Stirring Speech" aspect as it pertains to morale, serving as pretty much the opposite of stirring--"temporary reduction to morale checks for the first 1d3+3 Battle Rounds, making them one Difficulty Grade harder."
Pat_Henry

Postby Runeblogger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Pat_Henry wrote:Going off the Shield Wall rules, I would treat any attempt to deliberately deceive or mislead an army as an automatic failure to the "Stirring Speech" aspect as it pertains to morale, serving as pretty much the opposite of stirring--"temporary reduction to morale checks for the first 1d3+3 Battle Rounds, making them one Difficulty Grade harder."

Thanks a lot Pat, that's what I did in the end. And I assumed that, for these unseasoned NPCs, they would need to roll for Morale every time they encountered some supernatural horror.

If anyone is interested to know, this is more or less what happened last Sunday as far as the NPCs go:

- The 2 samurai accompanying the party argued they didn't want to delay the trip to the valley too much, for the corpse of their lord is rotting in the mountains, of course. Although the players tried to convince these samurai of the fact that they needed as many reinforcements as they could get, the players finally settled for looking for recruits only two days. If they had managed to recruit ronin/bandits for 5 days or longer, I had in mind to make the samurai of the local lord show up and arrest them.
- To begin with, I informed them that a ronin showed up just like that (there was an unexpected new player coming to that particular session!).
- Then I told them (on the fly) that they had a 65% chance of finding 1D3 recruits per day. First day: success = 1 recruit. Second day: failure.
- Then the player who had instigated all this arrived. He said he wanted to stay one day longer in town, and had his PC tell the two recruits to stay with him and look for any friends who might like to join the party. After this day, they would walk quicker to reach the rest of the party. I told them I would roll again this time with a 80% chance. It was a success, and one more recruit.
- So a total of 3 recruits, 1 new PC, and 2 other NPCs = 6 more people! Not as bad as I had feared, so I was satisfied.
- Then they wanted to buy an insanely amount of food (there isn't any game in the valley), so they had to hire two bearers (8 people now).
- Then I tried the guerrilla warfare that someone suggested in this thread. I mostly narrated how the monsters this time seemed to be just observing the party from beyond the mists. But the players were extremely careful (their level of paranoia in a valley where they've found many shapechangers was already very high). So when night came, they took turns to guard the encampment, but making sure each of the PCs did their turn with another of the NPCs. They didn't let them wander away.
- Now the most surprising part: twice during the session, one or two NPCs failed the Morale roll and ran away screaming. But then, the ainu player decided this was not going to happen and, to teach the others, he just shot the running bandit! O_O; Yes, even while the party was facing some monsters! :roll:
Runeblogger

Postby Matt_E » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am

Hard core. :-D

That sounds like a good, plausible outcome, and manageable. Nicely done.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Previous

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences