Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

What is Classic Fantasy and how does it compare to...

For information on Design Mechanism's rules and supplements

What is Classic Fantasy and how does it compare to...

Postby threedeesix » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:08 pm

When it comes to Classic Fantasy, I get a lot of questions as to just what it is and how it plays. Well, since the books release, I have stumbled across a gentlemen by the name of Peter Webster and his website, the UbiquitousRat. His first post covers just what Classic Fantasy is in more detail then I could, and the next two posts are spent creating a couple characters. Finally, his remaining posts are spent testing the game in play, running an adventure found in the red boxed set that many of us old timers will really appreciate. All of his posts feature detailed game play examples that go a long way towards explaining just what Classic Fantasy is attempting to accomplish.

The current posts are detailed below and I'll continue linking to them (with his permission) for as long as Peter continues to post them.

Mythras Classic Fantasy http://ubiquitousrat.net/?p=3285
Classic Fantasy: Creating Characters (Part 1) http://ubiquitousrat.net/?p=3299
Classic Fantasy: Creating Characters (Part 2) http://ubiquitousrat.net/?p=3321
Classic Fantasy: Mistamere (Episode 1) http://ubiquitousrat.net/?p=3331
Classic Fantasy: Mistamere (Episode 2) http://ubiquitousrat.net/?p=3340
Classic Fantasy: Mistamere (Episode 3) http://ubiquitousrat.net/?p=3367
Classic Fantasy: Mistamere (Episode 4) http://ubiquitousrat.net/?p=3419
Last edited by threedeesix on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
threedeesix

Re: What is Classic Fantasy and how does it compare to...

Postby Jefferiot » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:03 am

It's a good introduction to Classic Fantasy.

I think the first session could play out differently, though.

The carrion crawler would have poisoned an ordinary* dwarf so easily, yes, but Itomas is favored** of the gods. I think the castle wouldn't necessarily repel an Itomas and a Sven quite so quickly were both of the characters to remember just who they are--heroes! Sven remembered***, but Itomas seems to have forgotten without even an appropriate passion**** to excuse his oversight. :?:

* Ordinary dwarves have 0 luck points. Their D&D equivalent level is 0th.
** At even only three luck points Itomas is still somewhat favored over that of normal dwarves. His equivalent D&D level may be around 1st or higher.
*** At five luck points Sven is rather well favored of the gods. His D&D equivalent level may be around 2nd or higher.
**** Passion(never cheat fate from tentacles or poison)
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby UbiquitousRat » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:28 pm

Regarding Itomas - Basically, I forgot about Luck Points until after Itomas collapsed. When Sven went crazy to save his friend, I remembered... but, even in a solo game, I have a "no retcons" rule. But I did learn that Luck Points needed to be spent.

Forgive me, I am still learning the game. ;)

Huge thanks for all the positive encouragement, and also for the share on here. Somewhat glad you find it useful / interesting.
UbiquitousRat

Postby Pentallion » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:47 pm

UbiquitousRat wrote:Regarding Itomas - Basically, I forgot about Luck Points until after Itomas collapsed. When Sven went crazy to save his friend, I remembered... but, even in a solo game, I have a "no retcons" rule. But I did learn that Luck Points needed to be spent.

Forgive me, I am still learning the game. ;)

Huge thanks for all the positive encouragement, and also for the share on here. Somewhat glad you find it useful / interesting.

It was a very enjoyable read. Thank YOU.
Pentallion

Postby Tathas » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks for those links. The referenced Mythic rules he's using there will be quite helpful for me. On the rare occasions I can actually get some friends together to game, there's maybe 2 or 3 of us. Having a nice framework like that for solo/GMless play will help us.
Tathas

Postby Bilharzia » Wed May 04, 2016 1:21 am

I had a question Rodney stemming from this excellent series by Ubiquitous - why are the kobolds nerfing themselves with bows when they could be using slings? Surely it makes more sense for puny creatures to use weapons that as far as possible, don't give them negative damage modifiers? since they are weak and small...
Bilharzia

Postby threedeesix » Wed May 04, 2016 5:19 am

Bilharzia wrote:I had a question Rodney stemming from this excellent series by Ubiquitous - why are the kobolds nerfing themselves with bows when they could be using slings? Surely it makes more sense for puny creatures to use weapons that as far as possible, don't give them negative damage modifiers? since they are weak and small...

Peter is simply using the weapons the kobolds were using in the original adventure. For what its worth though, I didn't give them slings either as I based their Combat Style on the weapons they used in 1st ed. AD&D, which was the Club, Javelin, Shield, Shortsword, and Spear. I personally like the fact that they don't have slings as I can throw larger numbers of them against the players then I really could otherwise. Which is important when attempting to imitate AD&D.

Rod
threedeesix

Postby Bilharzia » Sat May 07, 2016 5:32 am

threedeesix wrote: I personally like the fact that they don't have slings as I can throw larger numbers of them against the players then I really could otherwise. Which is important when attempting to imitate AD&D.

Rod

I caved and bought the PDF, I saw you actually address this on p.190. It's a mammoth tome, bravo Rod.
Bilharzia

Postby threedeesix » Sat May 07, 2016 6:15 am

Bilharzia wrote:
threedeesix wrote: I personally like the fact that they don't have slings as I can throw larger numbers of them against the players then I really could otherwise. Which is important when attempting to imitate AD&D.

Rod

I caved and bought the PDF, I saw you actually address this on p.190.

Ya, the last paragraph...

"So don’t underestimate massed attacks by small, seemingly weak creatures; it only takes one kobold’s short spear bypassing armour and maximising damage to pin a paladin to a wall...

...is actually razzing my brother Mark who plays Valamir Drake. If you ever meet him at a convention ask him about it. :twisted:

Bilharzia wrote:It's a mammoth tome, bravo Rod.

Thanks, It would have actually been bigger if Loz didn't get me under control. :D
threedeesix

Postby threedeesix » Sun May 08, 2016 9:17 am

Just a notification that Peter has uploaded the next episode in his Mistamere play through. It can be found here...

Classic Fantasy: Mistamere (Episode 3) http://ubiquitousrat.net/?p=3367

I have to admit I'm interested in learning more about the Gamemaster’s Apprentice Cards that he uses and will be checking into them later.

Thanks Peter,

Rod
threedeesix

Next

Return to Products and Releases