Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Weapons in Glorantha

Weapons in Glorantha

Postby hkokko » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Started to contemplate a bit: Glorantha is in some sense bronze age world but there are mixtures of other age weapons mentioned for the entire RQ history.

Have you in your campaign limited the set of weapons that are allowed from the set that RQ6 provides. For example pg 94-96 in the RAW mention that weapons that are NOT available in Ancient (defined earlier as Bronze age)
- Ball and Chain
- Longsword
- Main Gauche
- Military Pick
- Rapier
- Sabre

AiG mentions that Scimitar is available for Sable riders

Only Hoplite, Peltast, Scutum and Target shield would be available. AiG states other models available as well

Of the 2H weapons
- Great hammer, Great Sword and Long Sword are not available. They are also not mentioned in AiG.

Ranged weapons
- Crossbows
Longbow is mentioned as being available for Orlanthi in AiG
Crossbows have been mentioned in many Dwarf contexts earlier

So how do you rule in your world - what is available from the above.
hkokko

Re: Weapons in Glorantha

Postby hkokko » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:28 pm

..of course there are exotic weapons like mentioned in my Glorantha weapons chart, primitive weapons like in Monster Island and Eastern weapons like mentioned in the Eastern weapons chart...
hkokko

Postby Jefferiot » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:38 pm

hkokko wrote:..of course there are exotic weapons like mentioned in my Glorantha weapons chart, primitive weapons like in Monster Island and Eastern weapons like mentioned in the Eastern weapons chart...

It seems almost as if the word primitive has come to mean merely a lack of metal, a lack of metal workers, or a lack of trade to get said metal or worked metal.

Really, I think stone and wooden weapons are ingenious and effective too, sometimes in different ways, and sometimes the way is different by using more skill in the fight. In the Glorantha setting, I like to give primitive weapon users thrice as many traits in their combat styles as those given to civilized weapon styles. Barbarian styles only get twice the traits that civilized folk get. Nomads get the number of traits that Barbarians get, but the extra ones apply to fighting from the backs of their cattle.

Praxians prefer the use of natural materials like wood, stone, bone, and glue with ingenious combat styles, because there's something about the use of electrically conductive materials that are manipulated with metallurgy and unclean spirits that makes them wince at the thought of the chain lightning emanating from the Block that squished the Devil.

In Prax, the word primitive is a cultural bias of those brainwashed by civilization. Really civilization is an arms race put on by the lesser gods to derail true man from his original destiny, in the highest god who made him, to join with the lesser gods in idolizing crafted metal and eternal death.
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby soltakss » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Glorantha has a wide variety of cultures and isn't a Bronze Age world in any real sense.

I use the weapons in the rulebooks and supplements. Normally, however, NPCs use swords, shields, axes, clubs, spears, bows, slings and crossbows, anything else is rare. Of course, the PCs still meet bolas, lassos, garottes, swordbreakers and so on when they meet interesting NPCs.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby steve.lieb » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:29 pm

I don't think there's really any analogue between "bronze age"-ish Glorantha, and actual Bronze Age tech limits.

After all, Gloranthan Mostali have cannons and guns. And really their monopoly on those has to do with the Gloranthan analogue to gunpowder more than anything. So really, they could have ANYTHING into the high middle ages (img they have Maximillian plate, ie high-tempered steel ribbed for strength; those are techniques that human smiths simply can't yet execute and so are relegated to 'simple' plate armors)

It wouldn't take the Gloranthan equivalent of a rocket-scientist to see a ball & chain or crossbow function, or even hear it related to them, and then work it out for themselves.

In any case, I've always thought the "Bronze Age" parallel was narrowly appropriate only to, say Sartarites or maybe Esrolia but wouldn't at all represent the tech equivalent of Loskalm (probably latter-medieval), Sentanos (again, latter-medieval), or Kralorela (early Edo period if you like your Kralorelan analogues to be Japanese flavored, or very early Qing if you prefer your Chinese). Not really even the Lunars who are more a latter-Greek level of military tech.
steve.lieb

Return to Glorantha