Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Chaosium & Runequest

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Re: Chaosium & Runequest

Postby AmazingOnionMan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:56 am

I'm the kind of guy that has zero interest in gaming in Glorantha, but like the setting for its depth and very liftable concepts. I went "yay" when they announced AiG as a separate RQ6-supplement, "uh.." when they were going to rewrite RQ6, and "groan" when Chaosium decided to ditch RQ6 and go the worst imaginable way.
The new RQ has to be fantastically good for it to make it worth it for me. I have an excellent game in Mythras, and a disturbingly large collection of various older BRP-games. I have a copy of (the oddly unimpressive) RQ2. I have much of the RQ2/3/MRQ Glorantha-line. I even got the GtG. I'm having trouble seeing what kind of rabbits they can pull out of RQ:G's hat.
AmazingOnionMan

Postby Bilharzia » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am

AmazingOnionMan wrote:I'm having trouble seeing what kind of rabbits they can pull out of RQ:G's hat.

I'm not so much a Chaosium or Glorantha superfan anymore but there's a couple of things for me - superb art and art direction - I've never seen Glorantha look so good, and they've committed to 6 releases a year, at least some of which should be usable by Mythras GMs even if it's set in Glorantha.
Bilharzia

Postby raleel » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:38 am

I have not quite read all 14, but I am reading 14, working back, and I have read 1-3

their beast rune example sounds pretty much identical to "Passion: Beast Rune" and augmenting your track skill. Yes, there are some loaded words with Passion, but that sounds like the same thing. Rune points sound very much like Theism's Devotional Pool, with the removal of the restriction that one must know the Rune Spell. I'm not an RQ2 pro, but IIRC, there were some nuances about that that differ in Mythras as well, but my gut is telling me that the changes in Mythras obsoleted the need for that part of Rune Points.

onto blog 11, the sorcery seems similar to mythras sorcery, but with some differences. It seems that the runes are providing the narrative structure for hanging the effects on. The 6 techniques make me think of invocation split six ways. The specific skill for each spell gives me pause - I don't personally feel the need for that in my game - but it reminds me of doing a school with exactly one spell, similar to how you can do a combat style with exactly one spell.

onto blog 8 - a lifepath system for character creation. not really for me, I think. I can see why people like it, but I guess I don't need it tied that close to my character.

blog 7 - there is the implication that passions are on a spectrum, and paired with others. That seems fine, though I think a small jump. Not bad at all, as on occasion I would use "negative" passions (failure to get the result that seemed logical) and it was somewhat confusing to the players. saying that that is functionally having a second passion that is the opposite can work. Of course, it means you can't have a passion over 100%.

part 6 i think gives a lot of good information for the Mythras-familiar and RQG curious. they say:
In RQ2 the main things that were broken were - 5% skill increase set, one-use rune magic, lack of objective drives for characters, lack of strong community resources, spirit combat, shamanism, and the price economy.

as we know in Mythras, those have largely really been dealt with - skills are not 5% increases, magic is generally not one use, passions cover drives very well, cults cover community resources, animism covers the others, and the price economy is pretty well dealt with.

It also talks about the things that weren't broke - "strike ranks, melee rounds, hit points, damage, spirit magic, rune magic basic descriptions, etc". The one that sticks out there for me is strike rank, which seems to me could be be the same without the random element. as I say, though, I am not an RQ2 person really, just some recollections from a long time ago.

the merging of the attack and parry skill is mentioned here, and in Mythras we already have that.

blog 5 mentions the lack of luck points. that will make things deadlier.

I feel like there is a lot of similarity there. I admit, though, a lot of the BRP family feels similar to me. I was just looking at Pulp Cthulhu and Astonishing Adventures for porting to Mythras and it seems pretty straight forward. Making some names and labeling parts of the system with them, using a couple of mechanics to give the curve you like. This feels much like that to me - in some sense, a very elaborate set of house rules for roleplaying in this world. Nothing wrong with that at all - I've done it myself quite a few times - but if that's not your cup of tea, then you might want to look elsewhere.

I think this does point to something I desire - a book of short articles on how to manipulate the system to do particular things.
raleel

Postby HorusArisen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:51 am

I think I'm hoping for a bloody good Glorantha specific game or enough goodies to port to Mythras
HorusArisen

Postby Vile » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:18 am

I did play in Glorantha extensively in my youth (though, I suspect, my Glorantha varied considerably from the new Chaosium's), but I went off it yonks ago. I was one of the noisy people clamouring for a setting-free RQ6 back in the day, and I was selfishly actually very happy with the name changing to Mythras. I do still like the RQ2 (and even RQ3) system, too, but I've been running that exclusively in non-Gloranthan settings since the late 80s. I like that Mythras is really a generic game engine. I now feel that RQ7 is getting too wedded to Glorantha to be of interest to me, although I acknowledge that the name "RuneQuest" really does belong in Glorantha. I'm actually more interested in their upcoming Mythic Iceland game, but for the nonce I prefer Mythras. Luther Arkwright has a lot to do with that.
Vile

Postby Bilharzia » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:45 am

Vile wrote: but for the nonce I prefer Mythras.

I have a feeling TDM aren't going to put that review on the back of the next print run.

RQG is pretty weird from a Mythras perspective but coffee table books that are nostalgia-crammed has worked pretty well for them so far, my sense is it's targeted firmly at people who stopped playing in the mid 80s, and maybe some D&D OSR-curious players. The supplements could be good though.
Bilharzia

Postby soltakss » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:56 pm

I am sure that when the new RQG comes out, we will be able to se how it differs from Mythras.

Personally, I am not that bothered as to which is "better". Instead I will buy the RQG PDF and see which rules I like and which I can incorporate into my new campaign.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby HorusArisen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:25 pm

soltakss wrote:I am sure that when the new RQG comes out, we will be able to se how it differs from Mythras.

Personally, I am not that bothered as to which is "better". Instead I will buy the RQG PDF and see which rules I like and which I can incorporate into my new campaign.

I'm not interested in better either but whether it's a worthwhile addition to my collection
HorusArisen

Postby hkokko » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:19 pm

HorusArisen wrote:
soltakss wrote:I am sure that when the new RQG comes out, we will be able to se how it differs from Mythras.

I'm not interested in better either but whether it's a worthwhile addition to my collection

As will I...

Of course it will be worth to add it...
hkokko

Postby HorusArisen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:36 am

Jason just posted on the BRP forum and it explains Rune Points quite clearly.

Essentially you sacrifice POW to gain a dedicated separate point pool (Rune) that you can use to cast any spell on the deity/Rune list. The pool regenerates very much in the fashion of theism with worship and devotional acts.

You use RP points to cast but don't lose them if unsuccessful (unless you fumble) however if you boost with MP they will be lost...I believe.

There was some more but I'd check the BRP thread out rather than rely on my memory lol

It's all very similar but I'm liking the intent of tying the mechanics to the setting enough to give it a shot, worse case I have another resource for Mythras but best case I have a system for running the occasional Glorantha game :D
HorusArisen

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & Discussion