Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythras & Drenai

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Mythras & Drenai

Postby HorusArisen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:07 pm

First off hi :)

Long time supporter of the game, first time poster.

I've just decided that I'd like to run a game in the style of the Drenai series for my players and wondered if any one had any tips or advice. I'm a longtime gamer and DM/GM but this will be my first time in the seat for Mythras.
HorusArisen

Re: Mythras & Drenai

Postby hkokko » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Go light on the armor to avoid too much clink. Combat cards are pretty useful

The tools and charts you probably know...
hkokko

Postby HorusArisen » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Any pitfalls in running a Mythras game a former D&D DM should know? Combat lethality being an apparent one.

I've owned the book and supplements for..ages but this will be our first game.
HorusArisen

Postby loz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:15 am

HorusArisen wrote:Any pitfalls in running a Mythras game a former D&D DM should know? Combat lethality being an apparent one.

I've owned the book and supplements for..ages but this will be our first game.

Mythras combat isn't necessarily lethal, but is dynamically much different to D&D combat. There are a lot of subtleties, and often the Special Effects everyone thinks are game breakers/fight enders, such as Choose Location and Maximise Damage, really aren't. Usually, effects that deny a reciprocal action, or force an action point to be spent on something else are much more effective than getting a sword blow at a head.
loz

Postby HorusArisen » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:57 pm

How much pre work do you want to do normally?

More or less than D&D?

I'm already preparing an intro scenario but I don't want to over or under prepare.
HorusArisen

Postby nclarke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:21 am

Use the RQ Encounter generator to produce stat blocks for your opponents unless they are a major NPC. Find a map of any building or major location (or a picture) but bear in mind that it shouldn't be a battle mat type of map as that confuses things. After that it's just notes about personalities for any NPCs delivering data dumps or otherwise providing information. I'll presume you got a set of bullet points for the plot outline already sorted.
nclarke

Postby HorusArisen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:42 pm

I've got a good first few sessions worked out just need to add some mechanical notes
HorusArisen

Postby HorusArisen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:22 am

Reading the book again to prep, is there a good guide to balancing combat encounters or challenges? Coming from D&D I'm used to the level / CR basis. I can't imagine that it's a good idea to throw 12 pirates at characters armed with clubs for example.

Also I've got the general gist of skill difficulties but as I said any tips on setting challenges for the characters?
HorusArisen

Postby Dan True » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:35 am

HorusArisen wrote:Reading the book again to prep, is there a good guide to balancing combat encounters or challenges? Coming from D&D I'm used to the level / CR basis. I can't imagine that it's a good idea to throw 12 pirates at characters armed with clubs for example.

Also I've got the general gist of skill difficulties but as I said any tips on setting challenges for the characters?

Well, you could throw 12 pirates at them if you're using the rabble and underling rules. Those are there for those situations where you want your characters to feel like they wade through opponents.

If those 12 pirates are fully statted out - then your characters at least need some favourable terrain and need to be experience (also off-game) and well equipped fighters to manage. For instance, two of my characters recently defended against twice their number of better equipped fighters, because they utilised a stairwell effectively to box them in. If they hadn't thought quickly and tactically, they would have either had to escape through the windows or would have lost a character (possibly as prisoner - you don't always need to have every fight end in death for the loosing side).

A good rule of thumb is looking at total number of action points on both sides. If your party has a total of 12 AP, then they could square off acceptably against 6 pirates with 2 AP each. Of course armour and skill level also play into it, but AP counting is a good first start. High level of armour is essentially an AP-negater as some attacks can be ignored.

Other than that, just let things flow naturally and as you go. A combat is Mythras is much more alike a gritty fight scene in Game of Thrones of the Rome series, than the tabletop-alike, square-by-square combat of e.g. D&D 2-4ed. When you gain some confidence, it will flow pretty naturally and you will start to think in terms of how you think reality works, instead of rules.

Your players will start to do the same. For instance, if they come up against 12 pirates, the experienced characters will run away and set an ambush. 12 pirates can easily be taken out by felling a tree and rolling it on top of them from a cliff. Or trapping them in quicksand. And if they cannot do any of that run away. And if they get found, surrender and take it from there. A lot more interesting things starts to happend than BalancedToLevelCombatEncounterToTheDeath#37 - and your game becomes better for it :)

- Dan
Dan True

Postby HorusArisen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:05 am

That's some great advice, thanks :)
HorusArisen

Next

Return to General Gaming & Discussion