Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Very first adventure

Very first adventure

Postby Fall-from-Grace » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:14 am

Hey all, I'm Fall-from-Grace and I'm hopping into world of Mythras. Currently I'm waiting for my physical copy of Mythras and Mythic Britain to arrive in mail, but I've been reading PDFs during my wait. I've tried rpgs here and there and I kinda know my way around D&D and it's kin via videogames, but most experienced I'm with Chaosium's magnificent Call of Cthulhu which I've GM:med for a longer while now. While I love CoC, change of system and setting was eventually needed and so I did my research, which resulted in Mythras. By all means it seems like best system for me and my group, of course there's a lot to learn.

When I get my copy of Mythras, we've planned to play with a smaller party than our usual. Having only two or three players instead of usual five sounds a lot easier for me as a Keeper to learn mechanics and my players are there in with me. Of course while system is new, I'd prefer a somewhat familiar setting or world so I can improvise easier and I don't have to recall details from the world or the story, which would hurt my focus on new mechanics. So I've planned to have an adventure in norse mythology inspired world, it's quite familiar to my players as well. Of course this isn't a 100% if there's an adventure not that easy to convert to another setting.

What I felt quite disappointing however, was lack of beginner material for Mythras / RQ6. I don't know where to start, I don't yet want to play Mythic Britain while game is this new to me and only adventure I found was Sariniya's Curse, which I've skimmed through but not read thoroughly. I should also probably point out, that Glorantha isn't very familiar for me (but is for one of my players I think) but I found bunch of old Runequest and Glorantha books from my local shop. So, if you have any ideas about adventures or short campaigns suitable for beginning keeper and/or beginner players, I'd gladly hear about them.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is on a correct forum, sorry if this isn't.
I believe that the Planes are meant to be experienced, and the more one experiences, in traveling, in joy, in pain, in merriment or in suffering, the more the multiverse reveals itself to you... And the more you are revealed to yourself.
Fall-from-Grace

Re: Very first adventure

Postby Dan True » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:47 am

Fall-from-Grace wrote:What I felt quite disappointing however, was lack of beginner material for Mythras / RQ6. I don't know where to start, I don't yet want to play Mythic Britain while game is this new to me and only adventure I found was Sariniya's Curse, which I've skimmed through but not read thoroughly. I should also probably point out, that Glorantha isn't very familiar for me (but is for one of my players I think) but I found bunch of old Runequest and Glorantha books from my local shop. So, if you have any ideas about adventures or short campaigns suitable for beginning keeper and/or beginner players, I'd gladly hear about them.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is on a correct forum, sorry if this isn't.

Book of Quests is a fairly straightforward supplment, a fairly simple, but interesting story, and beginner friendly.

- Dan
Dan True

Postby AmazingOnionMan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:21 am

The GM-pack also has a couple of adventures on which to cut your teeth. Xamoxis' Cleansing would probably be of interest. Old Bones Publishing seems determined to publish drop-in scenarios and campaigns.
Apart from that and the Book of Quests, Mythras so far runs on the making-your-own adventure-style.
AmazingOnionMan

Postby loz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:50 am

Welcome to the boards!

WE do have quite a few free adventures, including a Mythic Britain one, that you can find on our downloads page (www.thedesignmechanism.com/products) and, as others have said, in the GM pack. All our free adventures are suitable for beginning players and characters. In summary we have:

Sariniya's Curse (downloads page)
Meeros Falling (GM's Pack)
The Exodus Matrix (GM's Pack)
Caravan (downloads page)
Caves of the Circind (Mythic Britain, downloads page)

There are also some paid for scenarios too:

A Gift from Shamash
Xamoxis' Cleansing

The paid for scenarios are for more experienced characters, but A Gift from Shamash is Science Fiction, has a high horror element, so not far off Cthulhu, and has a lot of pregenerated characters.

So there's plenty to get you going, and we add more every month.
loz

Postby Fall-from-Grace » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Thank you all for your responses! I'll get myself a copy of Book of Quests before my mail arrives, I suppose it should be here probably next week or so. Meeros Falling seems quite cool and fits my needs, especially if I ready myself to combine it with Sariniya's Curse.

AmazingOnionMan wrote:Apart from that and the Book of Quests, Mythras so far runs on the making-your-own adventure-style.

And I'm itching to get started my own adventures in my own setting, which I've been creating for a longer while now. A few of adventures such as Meeros Falling to get into the mechanics and then I can start creating content myself. I've to check Old Bones Publishing and Xamoxis' Cleansing too.
I believe that the Planes are meant to be experienced, and the more one experiences, in traveling, in joy, in pain, in merriment or in suffering, the more the multiverse reveals itself to you... And the more you are revealed to yourself.
Fall-from-Grace

Postby Matt_E » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:00 pm

Shameless plug: You may like Broch Groddath, as I think it has rather a CoC vibe. Secrets of Blood Rock is fantasy/horror, but not exactly a CoC vibe.

Welcome to the tribe!
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Magister Ludi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:36 am

I've played Meeros Falling and Sariniya's Curse a couple of times and Caravan once at conventions with players who didn't know RuneQuest/Mythras. Sarinya's Curse works very well with the experienced characters provided (and is a nice and simple story) while the players fumbled through Meeros Falling (they always admitted that it was their fault). Meeros Falling and Caravan both are suitable for beginning characters.

For the German edition we have bundled Meeros Falling with Sariniya's Cuse and provided beginning characters for the former.

Happy Gaming!
Magister Ludi

Return to Mythras