Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Tracking Cycles, Rounds, Actions, and Pressed Advantage

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Tracking Cycles, Rounds, Actions, and Pressed Advantage

Postby Icefield » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:12 pm

I am trying to put together a setup to better track the actions of my players and NPC's in combat. I find that I tend to get overwhelmed a bit in combats with a bunch of combatants, and I start to forget who acted, who is unable to attack, etc. Do you all have preferred methods of tracking this stuff? I Have a board that I use with Strike Rank Order as one table, and another table with combat rounds listed like: R1C1, R1C2, R1C3 on to five places before listing round two and its cycles. I stick a counter on the current Cycle and move it as play advances, but I need some way to track by opponent when reloading, and unable-to-attack results are resolved.

What systems do you use: Paper, Mental, Computer to accomplish your tasks?
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Re: Tracking Cycles, Rounds, Actions, and Pressed Advantage

Postby skoll » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:25 pm

I print out all enemy stats before the game. During combat, I place action point markers on the printed enemies and write all their statuses next to their stats.

The system works ok, but I'm not 100% pleased. For the next campaign I'm planning to use initiative cards and status tokens. The tokens are faster to add/remove than writing/erasing.

(Hmmm... I'm sure I have seen a table for printing, that had all the possible combat conditions on it, but I can't find it now.)
Mythras Encounter Generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
skoll

Postby raleel » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:03 pm

we have a whiteboard for initiative. or should i say a piece of white board material that is long enough to stand up and everyone can see.

we use tokens (actually, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cq ... coins-ever) for action points and luck points. we have not had a lot of cause for round-to-round tracking, but we would just use another color of token I imagine.

i use tokens to track reloading as well. normally on the printed out sheet, but i've started exporting the generated monsters from the mythras encounter generator to PDF then taking notes on them in PDF Expert/Good Notes.
raleel

Postby Gloranphile » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:17 pm

I've started choosing a "volunteer" to keep track of the rounds and Action Points. You could combine this with the whiteboard idea raleel mentions (which is a great idea).
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Postby Matt_E » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:29 pm

What raleel said, except like skoll we use printouts instead of electronica around the table :-), and therefore pencil marks for Luck Points, which change far less frequently than APs. Like skoll, I keep AP stones on each printed character sheet. The PCs get different colors, while the baddies get generic silver stones are smaller. At the end of the cycle, when all stones are off the table, spent, in a bin, we hand them back out and start over.

I like the dry-erase board because if initiative changes, it's easy to reorder people, especially if you leave lots of space between names. The board is also perfect for noting conditions like "blinded for III rounds", "unconscious", or "Demoralized".
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Icefield » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:11 pm

So the white board seems popular for states it seems. AP is tokens or stones. Anyone have a chart or other system for tracking Cycles Turns and Rounds?
Icefield

Postby Druss the Axe » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:00 am

Bleed, Blinded, Stun, Sunder, Trip, Grip, Prone, Pin, Entangle, Disarm

How many effects are there in total?
Druss the Axe

Postby nDervish » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:31 am

Icefield wrote:Anyone have a chart or other system for tracking Cycles Turns and Rounds?

Personally, I don't see any particular need for it. A cycle is just a pass through the initiative order; when you reach the end of the order, the cycle is over. A turn is just a chance to act when your initiative comes up (and you have an AP remaining), so no need to track that. And a round ends when the last AP is spent, so, again, no separate tracking needed, just "the round ends when everyone is out of AP".
nDervish

Postby Matt_E » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:54 am

nDervish wrote:
Icefield wrote:Anyone have a chart or other system for tracking Cycles Turns and Rounds?

Personally, I don't see any particular need for it. A cycle is just a pass through the initiative order; when you reach the end of the order, the cycle is over. A turn is just a chance to act when your initiative comes up (and you have an AP remaining), so no need to track that. And a round ends when the last AP is spent, so, again, no separate tracking needed, just "the round ends when everyone is out of AP".

Agreed. Even if you don't ask them, here players will help you keep track, if they can see the whiteboard: "Dude, that orc already attacked!" "No, I didn't go yet." "It's his turn." "Hey, wait, round's not over, I still have an AP left."

To track total rounds of fighting--which is important for knowing when to call for Fatigue checks--, in the upper corner of the board I write "Combat Round: I" and add a tick mark every time I hand out all the spent AP tokens.

Aside: This has clearly illustrated to me how rare it is for a fight to last more than three rounds. :-)
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Icefield » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:28 am

Matt_E wrote:
nDervish wrote:

Agreed. Even if you don't ask them, here players will help you keep track, if they can see the whiteboard: "Dude, that orc already attacked!" "No, I didn't go yet." "It's his turn." "Hey, wait, round's not over, I still have an AP left."

To track total rounds of fighting--which is important for knowing when to call for Fatigue checks--, in the upper corner of the board I write "Combat Round: I" and add a tick mark every time I hand out all the spent AP tokens.

Aside: This has clearly illustrated to me how rare it is for a fight to last more than three rounds. :-)

I really try to avoid having players call me on screwing up, but maybe I should relax on that. Also what about reloads? Some ranged weapons can take 4 turns to reload, how do you keep that straight? The honor system?
Icefield

Next

Return to General Gaming & Discussion