Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

TimeGateCon

TimeGateCon

Postby Belgath » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:26 pm

Trying to setup a cope games at TimeGateCon
Belgath

Re: TimeGateCon

Postby Belgath » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:03 am

Well all set up to do two 4 hour game at TimeGateCon excited about this as I really enjoy GMing. It will also give me practice for GenCon. As Convintion GMing will be new to me. Looking for a good 4hr scenario.
Belgath

Postby nclarke » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:16 am

As a con GM with plenty of experience I can tell you that it's hard work. The four hours soon drops to three by the time you take out bathroom breaks and the preamble plus explaining rules to people who aren't familiar with them. Plus you'll be going much more slowly due to people picking manoeuvres or deciding which skill to use. The noise level is another thing to factor in as noisy room will require you to repeat much of what you say. Even if the plot is crystal clear to you the players will find another one that makes sense to them so the ability to roll with that and not force them on to the railroad tracks will be necessary.

I'd go with using all the tropes to help with the plot and to aid the players in familiarising themselves with how things work. I always reckon that by an hour before the slot finishes the players should be starting the final combat so that you have time to complete that and do a wrap-up before the end.

Personally I wouldn't have chosen to run a GenCon game without a lot more practice than you are getting as the bar is usually very high and dissatified players are prone to whine about how you didn't run a good game if they feel they didn't get their money's worth. Running games for money always makes things harder.
nclarke

Postby Belgath » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:54 am

I can problely set up couple more local Con games as I am close to Atlanta that shouldn't be a problem I can probably set up some pick up games at the local game game store. I do A lot GMing, but I know a 4 hour Convetion game is a whole different ballpark. I still have time to pullout of GenCon The last thing I want to do is give people a bad experience of RuneQuest 6.
Belgath

Postby nclarke » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:19 am

An example to help you along. Last UK Games Expo - the nearest thing we have to GenCon - I ran the Caves of the Circind scenario. and had a player who was very knowledgeable concerning Glorantha and the earlier iterations of Runequest. He did nothing but argue about how the game should run and how the Druid character should work according to his understanding of the rules for animist's. I tend to use a lot of handwavium to move a con game along while not eliminating all the rules - if it sounds right it is. This helps those who are there to enjoy a game have fun without getting bogged down in rules minutiae. I think the constant nitpicking didn't help anyone's enjoyment of the game and certainly didn't help the game move along so I had to brush aside his objections and asides to get on for the sake of everyone else. It didn't give me a very good feeling afterwards at the antics of that player but I had to treat it as a quick deviation along the lines of 'I'm running the game how I think it should go regarding animism and you can basically suck it up' to allow the game to come to a conclusion in the time allowed.

We all get a player who tends to the obsessive every now and again in con games as you can't pick those players (in general) so you have to roll with the blows and come up smiling to keep the game going.
nclarke

Postby Belgath » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:44 am

I am pretty good at adapting, and long ago gave up on trying to figure out ahead of time what a player is going to do because they will always do the opposite. But Rule Czar are always a pane in the but.
Belgath

Postby Matt_E » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:29 pm

[quote="nclarke"] Even if the plot is crystal clear to you the players will find another one that makes sense to them...

That is hilarious. Thank you.

Regarding Rules Czars, whether or not at a con, players must remember that they are players, not the GM, and they must remember the fundamental agreement that whatever the GM rules is what will be, period. Too ironic that meta-roles have to be explained to a bunch of roleplayers? ;-)

If the GM screws up, the game will not be fun, true...but if a player screws up, the same result follows. From what you have described, that player screwed up. Put another way, a game is only fun when everyone is behaving suitably.

Note that a player would not sit idly by with a GM needling about how s/he was playing wrong...even if the GM were right. Symmetry is broken here because basically there are no rules written in the book for players. Think about it, though: There are such rules*, and the GM is surely entitled to point out if things are going wrong.

My point is just that players aren't exempt from the requirement for good behavior while gaming. The GM has a tough job, and players should resist criticizing too freely. There should not be any gag order on them, but they should be sensible enough to know when and how to object, or go with the flow.

Good luck, Belgath!

*Examples: "Your character doesn't know about light bulbs; nobody does, in this world." "Your sheet says this character hates orcs. Would he really marry one?" "That's bullying. Quit being an *******, Matt."
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Belgath » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks I hope to do a good job.
Belgath

Postby Pentallion » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:39 am

You will. I remember the time I gamed with you. Great story, you did good.
Pentallion

Postby Belgath » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:15 pm

TimeGateCon is May 27-29 in Atlanta GA
If any if you live in area it might be fun to meet up I'll be running a couple games of LutherArkwright. Writing up an adventure where they run into Doctor Who thought it be appropriate.
Belgath

Return to Conventions