Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The Realm and Korantia

The Realm and Korantia

Postby jasper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:28 pm

It would be really interesting to find out how others are integrating the different settings in the wider world of Thennla.

Personally, I have decided to place the Realm (setting for the Book of Quests and Hesserets Treasure) somewhere between Marangia and Zathrum on the continent of Taygus as described in the Shores of Korantia.
jasper

Re: The Realm and Korantia

Postby guernicus » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:51 am

I made more or less the same choice for my up-coming campaign : my Realm would be located just north of Keba, because this place seems unused and large enough, without being too far from the Korantine and Taskan heartlands (where I intend to bring my players after they finished the Realm campaign). At first I thought there could be a climate problem, but it seems the Thennla climate is not as earth’s north hemisphere with north=cold and south=hot (considering for example the northern and very hot Sunlit Lands.)

I have yet to cope with background integration. How the surrounding nations (specially the Korantines) have interacted with the Realm until now. And the Chaos Mother golden age at the end of the Old Empire, (Chandanar, Sayalis, etc) should have had a strong impact on the Korantines and the Zathrum Thennalts at that time. Ophidians seems easier to deal with as they have more or less always been hiding away from civilization.

Another option I considered was to set the Realm as a new continent of its own in the center of the Inner Ocean.

Anyway, I’m also interested to know what the others have done to integrate these two very interesting settings.
guernicus

Postby guernicus » Tue May 10, 2016 6:03 pm

Here are some more thoughts [SPOILER WARNING] :

The first known event in the Realm is the Chaos Mother apparition about 500 years ago and the Chaos Wars that have resulted. According to the Korantine calendar, this goes back to year 715. At that time the Korentine Empire was already powerful and expanding. It had just founded its first oversea colony in Kipsipseran. Thinking about that, it occurred to me the « Oriental Empire » which pushed Chaos out of the Realm could very well be the Korantine Empire. And Sayalis could be a paladin of the Emperor which led the Korantine Army against the Chaos Mother forces. Why the Emperor took such a radical action in a foreign country ? I still have to find a good reason for that.
Once war was over, the Korantine cults that accompanied or backed the army were adopted by the inhabitants of the Realm as their new Pantheon.I substituted The Founding Four with three Korantine and one Thennalt deities :
Xalgith => Sabateus
Sormund => Kos - As suggested in Shores of Korantia, I made him the chief fighting deity against Chaos and added some miracles to its cult accordingly
Menissa => Lanis - The Realm cult of Lanis soon became a specific cult dissociated from the Solar Imperial cult
Allia => Theyna - Not a Korantine deity, but the Earth Mother was worshipped in the Realm before the arrival of the Korantine and played full role fighting against the Chaos Mother.
As for the Renegade Gods :
Renamos => Palaskil - Worshipped by both Thennalt and Korantine people
Feyr => Feyr - I made her a Thennalt Godess, otherwise unchanged (I didn’t found any approaching divinity in Thennla)
Korantine cults associated with government and city management (Anayo and Orayna) did not go with the military expedition and so were unknown to the inhabitants of the Realm.

I still have to found a good reason for the Korantine Empire to progressively looses interest in the Realm. Korantine-Realm relationship has to become sporadic because I want the Realm to evolve freely to what it is in BoQ. Of course the Cataclysm played a important role. The reign of Chandanar started 10 years after the Korantis Inundation. At that time, the mad king no longer feared any Korantine retaliation. He knew he had carte blanche to quench his thirst of power and to indulge again in Chaos.

I think of The Chaos Mother herself as a major divinity (a Titan) because I want her to play a role anywhere and anytime in Thennla. For example, she could have pulled the strings during the Tarsenian unification wars. She could very well be one of the reasons why Zygas Taga retreated from public affairs : to help other gods to maintain her in the Spirit Maze. Of course, the Chaos Mother implication in the unification wars was kept secret and only high rank officials of the Emperor and the Tarsen cults know the truth. This could be a good hook for a taskan character to play the Realm campaign : an exarch or a high flamen have received disturbing reports about chaos rising again in the Realm and decides to send a agent to investigate, even if it is a distant country in the Korantine sphere.

Jedakiah himself could be a Korantine exile. His personal story fits nicely with this.

Some more substitution and ideas to think about :
Long Riding nomads => exiled Sheng tribes
Westport Summerland founders => maybe men from the Essanzerai Sunlit Land in the Kapoli Peninsula
Westport tyrant => an archipelagan pirate
I'd also like to build some links between the Realm and the Korantia campaigns. For example, Jedakiah could have found some of its dark sorcery in the Brasilas repaire. And Valsus could also be involved in the weapons traffic with the Solisti.
guernicus

Postby guernicus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:25 am

[BOOK OF QUESTS SPOILER WARNING ]
Now that I have players willing to play in Korantia, I'm really considering playing BoQ in Thennla. But how to combine BoQ with Thennla ? My initial thought (see the above) was to place the Realm roughly north of Zathrum and use it with minimal changes. Now I see this idea as being too much artificial and not very fruitful. So I'm considering keeping the plot unchanged and simply swapping the Realm for the Korantian Empire. Most of the cultural and religious background of the Realm should adapt to Korantia without too much pain. But there are two things I have problem with :
  • Who are the Gartharis and where do they come from ? In BoQ, characters gradually realize the threat is coming from the wild and mountainous North, frontier of the Vale and home of the Gartharis barbarian. The Marangian region north of Korantia should be a good fit for that, but it is too far from Thyrta. As an alternative, I wonder if the ozyrian mounts can be the region from which all threats are coming from and the home of Gartharis, ophidians and Jedakiah ? Considering Ozyrian mounts are in located the very heart of the civilized Korantia, it sounds a bit unrealistic.
  • How to adapt the plot of Shadows Behind the Throne ? The Chaos War and the reign of Chandanar the Mad could be a part of Korantian history. But I am reluctant to state Cylder is Hilanistra and Muyr is Koibos, specially when considering his final fate. Another possibility would be to apply the plot only to a City-State, instead of the whole Empire, and to downgrade the Chandanar story accordingly. What is the more realistic option ?

Korantia is an amazing setting and Book of Quests is a very good campaign, specially for beginners. I should really like to give both to my players.

Any help will be much welcomed ;)
guernicus

Postby guernicus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:18 pm

guernicus wrote:[BOOK OF QUESTS SPOILER WARNING ]
Now that I have players willing to play in Korantia, I'm really considering playing BoQ in Thennla. But how to combine BoQ with Thennla ? My initial thought (see the above) was to place the Realm roughly north of Zathrum and use it with minimal changes. Now I see this idea as being too much artificial and not very fruitful. So I'm considering keeping the plot unchanged and simply swapping the Realm for the Korantian Empire. Most of the cultural and religious background of the Realm should adapt to Korantia without too much pain. But there are two things I have problem with :
  • Who are the Gartharis and where do they come from ? In BoQ, characters gradually realize the threat is coming from the wild and mountainous North, frontier of the Vale and home of the Gartharis barbarian. The Marangian region north of Korantia should be a good fit for that, but it is too far from Thyrta. As an alternative, I wonder if the Ozyrian Mountains can be the region from which all threats are coming, and home of Gartharis, ophidians and Jedakiah ? Considering that Ozyrian Mountainss are in located the very heart of the civilized Korantia, it sounds a bit unrealistic.
  • How to adapt the plot of Shadows Behind the Throne ? The Chaos War and the reign of Chandanar the Mad could be part of Korantian history. But I am reluctant to state Cylder is Hilanistra and Muyr is Koibos, specially when considering his final fate. Another possibility would be to apply the plot only to a City-State (with one of the Archons putting the crown on his head), instead of the whole Empire, and to downgrade the Chandanar story accordingly. What is the more realistic option ?

Korantia is an amazing setting and Book of Quests is a very good campaign, specially for beginners. I should really like to give both to my players.

guernicus

Postby golem64 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:17 pm

I plan to follow the advice in Shores of Korantia and replace Mersin with Meeros from the core book. As Mersin/Meeros is a coastal city, I can run Sariniya's Curse and Monster Island in the Korantine Sea. I may connect one or both of these locations to the sinking of Old Korantis. The appearance of Monster Island itself could be linked to the Jekkarene and have caused the tidal wave that destroyed the old empire.
North-east, towards Lake Taygus, is an open Thennalt frontier full of barbaric, nomadic and primitive cultures, both human and beast-man. I would consider Lake Taygus to be the cradle of humanity on Thennla. Therefore, the further north one travels, the more older, ancient and lost civilizations one encounters. As this area has not been touched on in any of the Thennla books, I plan to place a variety of city-states and kingdoms along the way as needed. All or parts of The Realm and Hessaret's Curse could easily be located in this unexplored area.
golem64

Postby umbraldragon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:30 am

I also followed the advice given in SoK. Although we did start out in Assabia hunting down and piecing together artifacts of a presumably dead god. I made a ton of mistakes at that time learning the system and trying to soak in Korantia/Taskan Empire information, but, the players didn't notice or did not care to mention my mistakes since they were new as well and really focused on staying alive while trying to solve the mystery. Everything turned out ok in the end. :ugeek:
Certain mystes aver that the real world has been constructed by the human mind, since our ways are governed by the artificial categories into which we place essentially undifferentiated things, things weaker than our words for them.
- Gene Wolfe
umbraldragon

Postby RangerDan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:39 am

[BOOK OF QUESTS SPOILER WARNING ]
guernicus wrote:Now that I have players willing to play in Korantia, I'm really considering playing BoQ in Thennla. But how to combine BoQ with Thennla ? My initial thought (see the above) was to place the Realm roughly north of Zathrum and use it with minimal changes. Now I see this idea as being too much artificial and not very fruitful. So I'm considering keeping the plot unchanged and simply swapping the Realm for the Korantian Empire. Most of the cultural and religious background of the Realm should adapt to Korantia without too much pain. But there are two things I have problem with :
  • Who are the Gartharis and where do they come from ? In BoQ, characters gradually realize the threat is coming from the wild and mountainous North, frontier of the Vale and home of the Gartharis barbarian. The Marangian region north of Korantia should be a good fit for that, but it is too far from Thyrta. As an alternative, I wonder if the ozyrian mounts can be the region from which all threats are coming from and the home of Gartharis, ophidians and Jedakiah ? Considering Ozyrian mounts are in located the very heart of the civilized Korantia, it sounds a bit unrealistic.
  • How to adapt the plot of Shadows Behind the Throne ? The Chaos War and the reign of Chandanar the Mad could be a part of Korantian history. But I am reluctant to state Cylder is Hilanistra and Muyr is Koibos, specially when considering his final fate. Another possibility would be to apply the plot only to a City-State, instead of the whole Empire, and to downgrade the Chandanar story accordingly. What is the more realistic option ?

I've had similar thoughts to yours with regards to integration of BoQ into Korantia, etc.

I also lean to placing the story in the backwater south of the Empire, near or in Brotomagia. This has the advantage of being near Thyrta, which is quite developed in the book, and its quite plausible to have Korantine, Thennalts and even Taskans and Jekkarenes adventuring in this area. I don't think its necessarily unrealistic that a new threat would develop in the Ozyrians, in real history some mountainous areas have been highly underdeveloped and ignored by rulers, and I could see the highly fragmented and agriculturally focused Korantines ignoring the barbaric "mountain folk" of the Ozyrians. As an alternative, the Gartharis could be a coalition of bandits, forest folk and others from the Forest of Sard and Methalean badlands under the heel of Jedakiah. This is after all the area that produced the Taskan God-Emperor, would not Jedekiah want to repeat the feat?

As for the Shadows Behind the Throne story, I would also "downgrade" it somewhat, and attach it to either the Brotomagian king in some way, or an appropriate City-State (maybe even Thyrta). In general I would tend to downgrade the Chaos Mother's importance to "the world" as a whole, and make her some kind of ancient creepy demon-spirit-thing, which automatically makes it less important to fold her history into the existing Korantine gods.
RangerDan's Combat Style Creator Thread / PDF.
RangerDan

Postby Matt_E » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:40 am

RangerDan wrote:This is after all the area that produced the Taskan God-Emperor, would not Jedekiah want to repeat the feat?

That is a nice insight! Part of J's reward for helping the Chaos Mother would be ascending to God-Emperor-hood as the Chaos Father, though at the end of Reckoning at Distaff Peak it is said that he leaves the world with his bride.

RangerDan wrote:In general I would tend to downgrade the Chaos Mother's importance to "the world" as a whole, and make her some kind of ancient creepy demon-spirit-thing, which automatically makes it less important to fold her history into the existing Korantine gods.

Uh oh. That sounds like a key departure, to me. The whole point of BOQ is the world-shaking threat presented by Jedakiah's plot.

Then again, gods tend to be rather regional, and the Chaos Mother would probably need some time back in the material world to extend her reach beyond a kingdom. With that approach, though, does it really matter much that The Realm be situated in Thennla...? Maybe so, if you like the cultures, and further campaigns/long story arcs will be conducted there after BOQ, but otherwise, maybe not.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby guernicus » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:31 am

Thank you very much Ranger Dan for your sensible and insightful advice.
I don't think its necessarily unrealistic that a new threat would develop in the Ozyrians, in real history some mountainous areas have been highly underdeveloped and ignored by rulers, and I could see the highly fragmented and agriculturally focused Korantines ignoring the barbaric "mountain folk" of the Ozyrians.

This is great. I’ll go with Ozyrian barbarians then.
As for the Shadows Behind the Throne story, I would also "downgrade" it somewhat, and attach it to either the Brotomagian king in some way, or an appropriate City-State (maybe even Thyrta).

Thryta would be a little too much a downgrade for me. I think I will go with Borissa. As a militaristic state, it is a good candidate to have a elective government only on the surface, where in reality an autocratic archons heads the state as a king. Moreover, the « Oriental Vale veterans » could very easily be the veterans from the recent Orchard War with Himela.

That being said, I don’t think it is necessary to downgrade the Chaos Mother. As Matt_E said, I want her to be a world-shaking threat. I’m considering setting the Chaos War into the early koratine history and having the Chaos Mother played a significant role in the outbreak of the Unification War in Tarsenia.

Now I’d like to get the Imperial paladins and the Korantian League properly taking part in the campaign. Surely, both won’t remain inactive once the extend of the threat is revealed. Maybe the Lanis cult can play the same role as the Order of Truth.

Still lots of work to be done :-)
Thanks again!
guernicus

Next

Return to Mythras