Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The New Edition Wish List

Re: The New Edition Wish List

Postby Gloranphile » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:00 am

Heimdallsgothi wrote:-TDM Quest package for Hero Lab would be Awesome!

Hero Lab would be great! I've already used Realm Works for my RQ6 Glorantha campaign, and it's wonderful. I'd love to see Hero Lab make it into the mix.
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Postby Mankcam » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:15 pm

Regarding a wish list, I would like to see DM bring out a generic system as a core book. Much of the legwork has already been done, and this would replace what I originally envisioned the BRP BGG would be ideal for. There is something to be said to be able to watch a movie or read a book, then to go make your own version of the setting on the fly. Games like Savage Worlds and GURPS did well with this idea, although I would love for RQ6 to be the go-to mechanics for this.

As far as settings, beyond The First Law, Bas-Lug, or Malazan series I doubt there would be any series contemporary enough to grab attention. Perhaps Elder Scrolls. The big properties like Game Of Thrones, Middle Earth, Arthurian Cycle, Hyborian Age, Dragon Age, Young Kingdoms, etc are all taken.

In any case I suspect the cost of a property sometimes may not be worth the hassle, and DM already has Arkwright.

With this in mind I would prefer DM to focus on the current lines. Thenela deserves further attention, and The Realm could be developed as a great sandbox setting. I love Mythic Britain and the Mythic series is a strong feature of DM - I would love to see revisions of Vikings and Rome to fit the current system, and develop further titles like Mythic Byzantium, Mythic Greece, Mythic Russia, Mythic Arabia, etc.

Arkwright also has such a wide range of possibilities, so it makes sense to continue with that.

Basically I just want a generic rule book, and want the DM to continue with their current lines. That should be enough for several years worth of gaming ahead!
Mankcam

Postby ptingler » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:10 pm

As I'm getting ready for a new fantasy campaign, one thing that would help me would be a generic pantheon of a dozen or so cults like in Runequest 3 or in OpenQuest 2 that I could use as templates for my fantasy campaigns. Like here is the god of war, god of agriculture, etc. with the cult skills, spells, and such so a GM could just match it with the setting god's name and go.
ptingler

Postby TrippyHippy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:55 am

This is why having a Mythic Greece book is important to me. The Olympian pantheon (and the earlier generations) are such an ingrained and recognisable part of our culture, that they make a great baseline for designing your own cults. There is in fact a God of War (Ares), Agriculture (Demeter) and so on - so it would be great to see all these Gods cult-ed up, so to speak.
TrippyHippy

Postby nDervish » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:36 am

Mankcam wrote:Regarding a wish list, I would like to see DM bring out a generic system as a core book.

In what way would your "generic system as a core book" differ from the existing RQ6 core? I imagine you'd probably want to integrate the firearms supplement into core, but aside from that?

I tend to think of RQ6 as a generic system as it stands, or at least a generic fantasy system, which is one of the major things I like about it.
nDervish

Postby Mankcam » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:04 am

nDervish wrote:
Mankcam wrote:Regarding a wish list, I would like to see DM bring out a generic system as a core book.

In what way would your "generic system as a core book" differ from the existing RQ6 core? I imagine you'd probably want to integrate the firearms supplement into core, but aside from that?

I tend to think of RQ6 as a generic system as it stands, or at least a generic fantasy system, which is one of the major things I like about it.
I'm running a Pulp era 1920s/1930s game using RQ6 mechanics, so I have no issues adapting it but I would prefer it to be a more generic set of rules. I like Call Of Cthulhu, although I prefer how RQ6 does skills (stat+stat), and I like RQ6 combat styles & combat traits, they can actually work very well for a cinematic setting. The level of cinematics can be easily tweaked up from 'gritty' to 'pulp' with liberal use of Luck Points and the Gifts rules (presenting them as Feats/Talents/ Knacks). Throw in some 'Mooks' rules for less important combat scenes, and it can play very pulpy. So the system works very well across genres.

Yes, the firearms rules would have to be included, but the book would have to presented very differently so it appears more as a non-specific genre set of rules. Magic would need to be looked at, or at least the trappings in any case, and it would also need vehicle rules. The professions could be looked at and reinterpreted for different eras.

I would prefer all this, but I am very aware it is a mammoth task to rewrite so much of the core book. At the end of the day however I will be happy to see this system survive and we have supplements such as the 'Mythic' series.
Mankcam

Postby nclarke » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:17 am

To be brutally honest such a book wouldn't sell. Nowadays many gamers have no prep time what with families and lives outside gaming so want low prep games where everything is done for them and they just have to pick up a book and play. You only have to look at things like story games and the success of Fate and Powered by the Apocalypse games to see that low prep and in-game world development is the thing that gamers seek now. Generally they have not got the time to spend on fleshing out a complete continent or world to game in unless they have no life or are teens and students who have much more time available to them.
nclarke

Postby Mankcam » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:46 am

I suppose it may not have wide appeal, but it is just something I would like to see as a 'wish list'.
However some 'all-genre' systems have done quite well over the years, such as GURPS, Savage Worlds, Cypher, and FATE.
So there still could be something to be said for having a generic system.
Mankcam

Postby nclarke » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:24 am

You failed to mention BRP in your list of all-genre systems :-)

The point of a generic system is to allow you to pick and choose which parts you use in your game. If you have no time for game prep then a generic system is not of much interest. I'm sure that's why an all-in-one setting and rules book probably outsells multiple book, systems and settings, games. Look at the Chaosium move to including rules in Mythic Iceland - one book instead of setting and separate rules. I'm sure you can think of more examples.

It doesn't stop you wishing but it's not going to happen if the company has to make a living or at least not a loss.
nclarke

Postby Mankcam » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:51 am

I love the BGB, but I didn't list it as unfortunately it hasn't been as successful as the other games I listed.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with any of the points you raise, but I'm just saying that some generic systems certainly have made it big, and I'ld like to see RQ6 be up there with them.
But I know at the end of the day it is going to be alot of work to edit the core rulebook in such as fashion that I don't expect it will happen, it'll be easier to aim the core rulebook at the ancient world/dark ages genre that RQ6 already is doing.
Whatever keeps the company and the system alive is cool with me :-)
Mankcam

PreviousNext

Return to News