Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The New Edition Wish List

Re: The New Edition Wish List

Postby Thalaba » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:17 am

The whole forum does operate like that, you're right. But having a dedicated subforum might provide these benefits:
1. Enabling: There are things people might post in a place dedicated to newbs that they might not ask in mixed company, and
2. Cataloging: It might be a lot easier to browse that one (shorter) subforum looking for answers to beginner questions before asking a new one because it carries a big sign saying "look here first, new GMs".
The 13th Forrior

Powered by the Myth
Thalaba

Postby Rubrum » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:22 pm

Yeah, either a wiki of fan-made material, or a dedicated catalogued and moderated subforum where the top post within a thread has most of the information related to a setting and each thread is its single setting. In my dreams.
Rubrum

Postby Baulderstone » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:23 am

Thalaba wrote:The whole forum does operate like that, you're right. But having a dedicated subforum might provide these benefits:
1. Enabling: There are things people might post in a place dedicated to newbs that they might not ask in mixed company, and
2. Cataloging: It might be a lot easier to browse that one (shorter) subforum looking for answers to beginner questions before asking a new one because it carries a big sign saying "look here first, new GMs".

1, The advice for newb thread would also be "mixed company" or there would be nobody to give the advice.

2. But by adding that one subforum, you are adding one more forum the main page, which makes things harder to browse for everyone. It would also drain traffic from Rules and Mechanics. We only seem to average about two topics being discussed a day in Rules and Mechanics already. Do we want to slow that down even further by splitting off another subforum?

I also don't see Rules and Mechanics as unwelcoming. Is there any history of new players being hassled by the regulars that I have missed?

A general Rules and Mechanics thread also seems more inclusive of a questioning opening up into a longer discussion. A thread for questions for new GMs seems more like a place where you answer the question then move on.
Baulderstone

Postby Druss the Axe » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:50 am

Examples examples examples for any Animist chapter there might be (Animism gave me nightmares for some reason)
Feats/Talents; special abilities that make a character more unique (Not as many as D&D 3.5 though)
Optional rules for de-crunching the combat system (Whilst it's brilliant, I found it a lot of book keeping)

Can't think of anything else
Druss the Axe

Postby Dan True » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:03 am

Just to note, if it's decided to make a wiki of some sort, with the blessing of Loz and Pete, and we find a model for how we pay for server costs etc. I would be happy to lend some technical expertice in setting it up.

- Dan
Dan True

Postby ThornPlutonius » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:53 am

If there is one detail that keeps RQ6 from being "perfect" for me is that it continues the conflation of dexterity and agility. I would love to see separate dexterity (for hand manipulation) and agility (for general body control) stats. I expect this will not change for the new version. The impact on existing material would be too great.

Perhaps there is a parallel in which the RQ family does have DEX and AGY attributes. I hope so.
ThornPlutonius

Postby Jefferiot » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:35 pm

ThornPlutonius wrote:If there is one detail that keeps RQ6 from being "perfect" for me is that it continues the conflation of dexterity and agility. I would love to see separate dexterity (for hand manipulation) and agility (for general body control) stats. I expect this will not change for the new version. The impact on existing material would be too great.

Perhaps there is a parallel in which the RQ family does have DEX and AGY attributes. I hope so.

Agility is represented in the RAW by Athletics, Brawn, Boating, Swimming, Endurance, Dance, Ride, Evade, Acrobatics, Combat Style, and Unarmed.

Dexterity is represented in the RAW by Conceal, Drive, First Aid, Combat Style, Unarmed, Craft, Lockpicking, Mechanisms, and Sleight.

Note, there is overlap, because some skills require both agility and dexterity. I created the lists on the fly while writing this and may have missed something.

In some games we may need to add for the setting new skills not mentioned in the RAW, but even then, often they are mentioned in general, such as in creating a new craft(X).

The reason dexterity and agility are represented by skills is that most story relates the action in cultural terms like skills rather than in scientific terms like agility and dexterity. Another reason, also very important, is that dexterity and agility aren't enough by themselves to explain the reprogramming, learning, and creativity involved in applying dexterity and agility. It is the application of them that we care most about in story.

The purpose of the RAW is to help role players play out story rather than to play out science, so the mechanics are largely kept in human cultural terms.
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby hiiamtom » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:40 pm

This will be oddly specific: I want to see combat styles that can build or develop like the Jedi light saber combat style stances from the Star Wars rules. I know that it is entirely unofficial and whatever else, but that was a fun idea to play out and gives the sword master some ways to advance his skills beyond picking up some magic to enhance himself.

Beyond that, a later list of gifts from cults/brotherhoods and ways to bring in some D&D addicts to give them out by spending XP rolls as an alternate to increasing cult rank. I'll also echo Firearms in core with more Mileu than flintlock, modern, and Buck Rodgers
hiiamtom

Postby Baulderstone » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Having a table that listed skill ranges and what level of competency they represented could be helpful. It could PCs know where they stand and provide GMs a guide when assigning numbers to NPCs.
Baulderstone

Postby Heimdallsgothi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:07 pm

Been thinking about my wish list and here are some things I'd like to see

A Supplement along the lines "Advanced TDM-Quest Rules"
As a part of this book...
-Ships and Shield walls
-Fire Arms
-Space Wars (sci fi/future combat stuff)
-More Magic Styles & Sci-Fi Psionic styles
-Creatures and guidelines on how to build them (more creature abilities)
-Magic Items and Treasures of value and guides for making new ones
-More Skills for various Genres
-Guidelines on how to build/gauge party encounters
-I'd like to see the chase rules expanded some
-Vehicle Rules
-Aerial combat rules (which can be just a variant of the chase rules depending)
-I want additional Cultures/professions/cults as well as a firm guide on building cultures/professions/cults of your own

-TDM Quest package for Hero Lab would be Awesome!
If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Heimdallsgothi

PreviousNext

Return to News