Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

T1-4, Classic Fantasy

T1-4, Classic Fantasy

Postby raleel » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:35 pm

So we started our game last night. Everything went pretty well. Party is

• elf magic user/thief-acrobat - he's a noble, and sworn to the Viscount of Verbobonc. He's been sent to Hommlet to check out the brigand activity and make contact with several agents (he started knowing Elmo, etc. in Hommlet
  • A gnome cleric of Garl Glittergold (aka Biljin) - he is searching for his uncle, who makes a famous butterbeer that is well regarded by a wizard in Greyhawk
  • A human fighter- a nomad, actually, and his background hasn't been fleshed out as much. it will be though
  • a human paladin - a paladin of St Cuthbert, with a player who is not interested in the flavor text

I started them off hunting, and having found the brigands in the moathouse - a sort of in media res start. we don't have a lot of time, so I wanted to get right to the action. The brigands were mostly rabble, and smart thinking by the fighter got them the ability to position the MU/TA behind the brigands. He stealthed in and managed to get off a high intensity colour cascade and tagged nearly every one of them with a stun - he critted his casting roll. This made the fight much easier than it would have otherwise been, and they mopped it up. The MU/TA also happened to notice a secret door in the area, so they explored down it.

those of you familiar will know there is normally green slime there, but we don't generally like traps, and I removed a lot of "Trash" encounters for the sake of moving things along.

They explored below and found a pair of store rooms and realized someone was trying to make a more concerted effort in the area. They then moved forward and checked at a door. The Mu/TA tossed the door open and ran. This alerted Lubash the ogre, but they were ready for him. A lucky strike disabled his arm, making his bardiche useless. He knocked the paladin to the ground with a clout to the leg, but then was quickly overwhelmed with another colour cascade, a shot to the leg, then finished with a two handed sword to the head. They moved quickly and got the jump, otherwise this would have been a very deadly encounter (great axe + 1d8 + bigger than normal one)

the aftermath netted them the rescue of the 5th party member - a half orc berserker who's player was out of town for the evening. We ended with the MU/TA (who hates orcs) saying "oh , so you're a ******* are you?" :)

truly, I am actually very excited to run the whole shebang. I'm stripping some stuff out just because we get no more than 4 hours every 2 weeks, so the highlights will have to do, but things moved as fast as I liked.

Some commentary from my players
  • they want the starting equipment next to the equipment
  • a skill summary sheet, like in the base book, would have been quite nice
  • the cleric didn't see the point of having schools if they were not important
  • several other small complaints that essentially amounted to "please make the elements you need from the base book in classic fantasy. i hate going between two books"

we had some small issues with movement in combat, and I don't know why. I go and read it, and it makes sense, but something in the way movement is presented in Mythras really gives us fits. I think we have it now, though, after reading a little more.

everyone had a great time, and I hope to continue posting updates.
raleel

Re: T1-4, Classic Fantasy

Postby Icefield » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:49 pm

Thank you so much for posting this report. I was hoping to hear how it went, and the idea of a Mythras Classic Greyhawk game is just plain awesome. I laughed out loud when I read that the Paladin player wasn't interested in the flavor text and was a disciple of St. Cuthbert of the Cudgel. In a campaign we ran a long time ago, my friend had the Cuthbert priests running a soup kitchen for the hungry. A mandatory sermon had to be attended before accepting your cup, and that sermon ended with a clout on the head/shoulders/back for each person to receive the charity of the Brothers. It was to discourage lazy beggars, but we were rolling after that description.

I like that you dispensed with a lot of the trash mobs and what my friend calls the "5 Star Monster Hotel," that is the norm in a lot of those early modules. I love the old stuff but your take sounds more fun to me. I also like that party, wow what a combination of personalities. The guy looking for his brewer relative was a nice touch, and I like that the elf has that disdain for the half-orc. That should be entertaining to watch in future sessions.

I feel your pain on the 4 hours every other week, but that is still enough to have a good game in my opinion.
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Postby threedeesix » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:00 pm

Awesome! Wish I was there.

Let your cleric know that while a spell's "school" isn't particularly important to the cleric, there are some abilities, magic items, and spells where the "school" of magic is important. For example, Detect Magic has a 10% chance per Intensity of discovering the school of magic (necromancy, elemental, etc.) being manifested. This applies whether arcane or divine and has nothing to do with a spell's sphere.

Keep us updated, I want to know how it turns out. Greyhawk as well as T1-4 were always my favorites.

Rod
threedeesix

Postby raleel » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:47 pm

Yea the gnome that lubash kept to eat was the uncle. It was a nice little touch.
raleel

Postby Pentallion » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:22 am

TOEE is so good. I would have started my campaign there, but the characters we used were D&D characters that had completed TOEE and were then converted to CF. So no one wanted to go straight back to TOEE again and start over.

Can 't wait to read more.
Pentallion

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Interesting, I do like to see how others play
Chris

Postby raleel » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:37 am

Game night last night.

The group was down the cleric due to real life conflicts, but gained the berserker that they rescued from the larder of the ogre.

After som brief searching, they found an elven cloak and a secret door in the ogres room. The elf (a magic user/ thief acrobat) took the elven cloak. This made the elf well nigh invisible in the underground environment if he stayed out of torchlight. So he scouted ahead, took the left fork in the road and discovered a heat source up a corridor. Moving back to the party, he explained the situation and they moved in to explore.

They were moving towards the heat source when the source of the heat - 6 big orogs- moved forward into the torch light and challenged them for the secret sign. The half Orc (civilized) berserker tried to talk them down (yes, this player loves characters like this) but failed, though he is Good (trustworthy) and Good(friendly).

Combat ensued and the party acquitted themselves well. The orogs performed poorly because the GM couldn't get a goddamn attack through. The players played smart and the armor saved the day. One luck point saved the paladin from losing an arm.

(For those of you familiar with TOEE, this is the bugbears in the moat house. We have a hatred of orcs in the party and there are no orcs in all of TOEE so I wanted to make sure some made it in)

Anyhow, they continued on, taking the other fork, and stumbled upon a group of gnolls. Combat, surprisingly, did not ensue... Quick thinking by the fighter deduced that 9:4 odds was going to go poorly for them, as gnolls were large and reasonably fast. These gnolls were somewhat fluent in orcish and parley was called. After some discussion and some quick thinking by the berserker and the mu/ta, the gnolls went back to the eat the bodies of the brigands they had killed last time, and take the weapons and armor left behind. This freed the party from a very tough combat.

They continued along the corridor, following where the gnolls at went and came upon a door. They heard voices inside. They got into positions and the mu/ta quietly opened it. He failed, but the guard did as well. This promoted a sort of comedic guard turning just at the same time and they catch each other face to face.

Now they are kind of in it and the mu/ta starts trying to bluff... Funny enough, not a strong suit for him, but he makes the first roll and they go with it. (The paladin has to go home at this point, so he moves off the board) they walk in and pose as new recruits and spin a story about how their recruiters got banked by bandits, then the gnolls ate them. This had some ring of truth because the gnolls do like man flesh. The henchmen here are somewhat confused, so they bring the party (3 at this point - berserker, fighter, mu/ta) in and get the sergeant.

At this point, they realize this is going to go bad, as there are 6 guys visible, at least one more coming, and who knows how many more. Well, the berserker says he's gotta use the chamber pot and they bring him over and he sees another half dozen guys and realize that 3 on 14 guys is going to be bad.

After some discussion among the henchmen and some stellar bullshitting by the party, the sergeant leaves to go get the Master. When he gets out of sight, the mu/ta uses his last magic point to do a trick. He says "hey, want to see what Guardsman 6 looks like cruising for wenches?" And casts repugnance on the guardsman. They are all duly impressed and that gives them just enough to get a full sprint down the corridor. Quickly sliding through the door, they shove a spear through the mechanism, giving them just enough time to get away.

Now, they retreat, rest, and load for bear for dealing with the master and his henchmen. What will happen next?
raleel

Postby threedeesix » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Another great session report raleel, thanks for the update.
threedeesix

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Like it.
Players who run away whatever next
Chris

Postby Caliburn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:01 am

Icefield wrote:Thank you so much for posting this report. I was hoping to hear how it went, and the idea of a Mythras Classic Greyhawk game is just plain awesome. I laughed out loud when I read that the Paladin player wasn't interested in the flavor text and was a disciple of St. Cuthbert of the Cudgel. In a campaign we ran a long time ago, my friend had the Cuthbert priests running a soup kitchen for the hungry. A mandatory sermon had to be attended before accepting your cup, and that sermon ended with a clout on the head/shoulders/back for each person to receive the charity of the Brothers. It was to discourage lazy beggars, but we were rolling after that description.

I like that you dispensed with a lot of the trash mobs and what my friend calls the "5 Star Monster Hotel," that is the norm in a lot of those early modules. I love the old stuff but your take sounds more fun to me. I also like that party, wow what a combination of personalities. The guy looking for his brewer relative was a nice touch, and I like that the elf has that disdain for the half-orc. That should be entertaining to watch in future sessions.

I feel your pain on the 4 hours every other week, but that is still enough to have a good game in my opinion.

Agreed, apart from Scarred Lands - Greyhawk is one of my go-to choices for the game world to use once I run CF.

Once UE comes out I'll post Mordenkainen's character sheet here! :)
Caliburn

Next

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences