Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

T1-4, Classic Fantasy

Re: T1-4, Classic Fantasy

Postby raleel » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:59 pm

A little slacking on my response, but finally got some time to write something up.

In between games I dealt with a bunch of logistics of the party going back to town, selling stuff and getting prepared to head out for real. They talked to the two traders, and Mr Trustworthy Berserker was the sales lead. the rest of them were pursuing leads on the Flaming Eye logo they found. They sold a pile of stuff and ended up with enough money to get the paladin a suit of AP7 armor. You might have seen me mention him earlier in the rabble discussion. Notably here, they ALSO hired a handy man-at-arms named Gar from the traders. You know, those traders, Gremag and Rannos. He didn't do bad, and they ended up getting Gar a suit of armor.

They set off back to the moathouse and discover it was abandoned, though the thief finds a small pouch of gems (and informs no one really). They find a track (thank you, mr fighter) and head straight north, through the woods, towards the Nulb area. They bypass Nulb entirely however, and end up at the front of the temple. They scout around and find the broken tower just as night falls.

The thief scouts up and finds it dark inside, but some prodding and poking he deduces there are people inside, and also alerts them. Then the fighting begins. Everyone rushes forward, and the fighter throws the thief up on top of the tower (elf thief, strong fighter, crit brawn roll), where the elf promptly sees, in the dimness of his night vision (cat familiar, acquired between games) 16 ravens. Knowing he is in deep peril, he sneaks around and determines there is no way down, so he jumps off the side and lights it on fire with a flaming hands.

On the ground, everyone else is rushing the door and busting through. They are greeted with a shield wall, crossbowmen, and archers. A volley is sent as they charge forward, but their armor and the timely casting of Barkskin by the cleric on the berserker stops any real damage from happening.

Then the leader, in the back, signals the rocks to be dropped. most everyone avoided it, outside of the paladin who took it in the head. Only a luck point, lay on hands, and the cleric kept him alive there. The thief (now off the tower) and the fighter move to flank on the left, the cleric stays in back, cursing and blessing - both of which saved their bacon multiple times - and they are moving in to clean it up.

it was 12:30am at this point, so we called it a night with pictures of the table top.

Learned some things about rabble and armor and a bunch of other things. We lead with combat next time. I will definitely be bringing my "sweep on rabble" ruling to help speed things up a bit. It's like you might think 25 men might be a bit slow to go through!
raleel

Postby raleel » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Two sessions in this write. My apologies for my tardiness.

We finished up the battle quickly with the leader running and the mooks getting captured. They didn't know much... especially the secret door that the leader ran through in the tower

Those of you who are familiar with the temple probably know there is a secret door that leads to a tunnel, and there is a secret door in that that leads to Falrinth. I deliberately did not allow a chance to find that. I felt that, if played smart, I could murder the party quite easily in one round. Surprise, kill silently on the thief-acrobat/magic-user with a save or die poison, then a fireball on a rank 1 party seemed grossly unfair :)

So, they proceeded through obviously and made it to the other end to the well. They found a creative way to check the area around by having the fighter toss the elf or the gnome straight up the well. They got out of the well quietly, but sneaking up on the brigands who were running proved troublesome, as someone fumbled. The brigands came to investigate and combat ensued. But this gave the leaders (Lareth, which I described with Evil Guy Plate Armor and gorgeous hair, so we call him Thoreal, and some other tougher sorts) a chance to get away on horseback. As the party didn't have Silver-on-the-hoof, they were left in the dark.

Next session started with them at Rank 2 after a month of training, getting new armor, spending, etc. They put down some money and got themselves a stage coach and some warhorses to pull it, with an eye towards making a battle wagon mounted with a ballista. You can see the serious tone of the game here.

They head back to the temple to inspect. Not a lot of combat happened here, just a bunch of exploration of the top, a discovery that there is binding magic and finding some old robes. They decided to proceed down the central pit and stumbled upon a secret door, and we ended there due to over 40 people falling asleep at 11 ;)
raleel

Postby Chris » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:07 pm

40 people, how big is your group?
Chris

Postby raleel » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Chris wrote:40 people, how big is your group?

Age >= 40, not seats >= 40 ;)
raleel

Postby Matt_E » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 pm

Thoreal, god of thunder and moisturizing conditioner--brilliant
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Chris » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:50 am

raleel wrote:
Chris wrote:40 people, how big is your group?

Age >= 40, not seats >= 40 ;)

Arrh that makes more sense, that's what comes of being over 60...
Chris

Postby Pentallion » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:12 pm

That encounter always seemed like a sadistic thing to do to the players. They were always going to step into that area and that wizard is always going to lightning bolt the crap out of them. The PCs are just too low level at that point to be allowed to run into that situation.
Pentallion

Postby raleel » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Pentallion wrote:That encounter always seemed like a sadistic thing to do to the players. They were always going to step into that area and that wizard is always going to lightning bolt the crap out of them. The PCs are just too low level at that point to be allowed to run into that situation.

when I originally played through it like 30 years ago, we stealthed in a bit, then knocked down the wizard quickly. I think we lost a character though. but yea, not a good encounter for them. also, it leaves it around for me to put in some poisons and try and seduce the elf to Lolth.
raleel

Postby raleel » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:20 pm

More last night

Party spent a lot of last session exploring, so they were out for blood. A lot of hard weeks at work lately I think

Fortunately, I was prepared. They went through the secret door into a pile of skeleton bones. 10 regular skeletons and 6 gnoll skeletons sprung up, powered by the ineffable evil of the place. The quick reacting thief-acrobat/magic user started prepping his newly acquired fireball spell, and the regular skeletons moved in and attacked, doing minimal damage. The gnomish cleric of the trickster god (we have been playing fast and loose with theology) declared it party time and turned undead. A nearly max roll on this caused them to flee in terror of his party hats and party kazoos, and the good times burned off all their arms. Thus, we had 8 skeletons run away at full speed with no arms. The fighter folks moved up to engage the gnoll skeletons who lasted just long enough to get blasted by the fireball, which dropped all but 2 of them. mop up was fast after this.

the hallway extended 60' to the left and right, and a short hall with a door on either side ran perpendicular. They listened at one of the doors then opened it, prepared for the worst. And the worst was there. The ogre leader turned, yelled a call for help in ogrish, and ran at them, smacking the berserker in the chest for a head turning 12 points of damage. Fortunately, he parried with his halberd, removing the chance of a special effect, but he took 8 points to the chest after armor. Sucking a bit of wind, he and the paladin tried to take him down with their big weapons, while the ogre hating fighter watched the other door.

Good thing too, because he was prepared when the first one came through. Using his seething hatred to augment his already rather impressive skill with the axe, he cleaved the ogres head in twain (the only way to cleave) and dropped him in the first shot. A second ogre stepped up to deal with him and laid in a 16 point blow to his chest. a successful parry and armor later, he took 4 in the chest, and his thirst for blood was not quenched.

At this point, the TA/MU cast darkness in the room with the ogre leader and gave everyone some room to move back. The cleric started casting barkskin to help out the zerk and the paladin moved back to help the fighter. Fighter jams his axe for 12 into the chest of the ogre, but doesn't quite get him, so the paladin does 14 to the chest to finish the evil creature. Then they wait... prepared for the ogre leader to come through.

But the ogre leader is smart... he runs. He runs back through all his gnoll flunkies and starts alerting them. They manage to see him running out a far door once the TA/MU drops the darkness and they give chase... into 3 gnolls. The gnolls get the jump and move in, but a bad series of attacks lead to a fumble by the gnoll and a crit defense by the paladin, causing hilarity all around. They start moving in to get the last gnoll just as they see the ogre has left the door open for the rest of his gnoll flunkies. 2 take up positions with their bows and start firing at the zerker, 2 prepare to move up, 2 move back to help the last, who fires his vile mini-siege engine of a quadruple crossbow at the zerker. The zerker miraculously survives 3 shots to his back, then 2 more longbows to his back.

Now the 2 move up and plug the hole, buying time for the 3 gnolls to work on the quad crossbow and the longbowmen to reload. They parry furiously with their shields, but ultimately are out action pointed by the players and have none left when the second fireball wizzes by then towards the contraption. Fire goes up all around and damages all, including the bolt thrower.

Then the bodies hit the floor. The trickster cleric started singing Dropkick Murphy and chanted them to +15%/-15% +3damage/-3damage for friend/foe. This had a crazy level of impact on the group and on their foes. The fighter gets in another action (I probably screwed up the order in here writing this) and tosses a dagger at the seige engine - max damage, bypassing armor - and splits the limbs in twain.

An angry zerker, now refreshed with action points and new inspiration, screams and decapitates one for 16, opening a hole for the paladin to move in and decapitate another for 16. Then the fighter, now sporting a truly ludicrous 112% skill, moves in and takes a thirds leg off for nearly 20 - one of the helpers on the siege engine. This gives the TA/MU space to get in, flank a guy, and backstab him - choosing location head and Blind. Unfortunately, he also scored max damage on his already damaged head and blinded him by removing his eyeballs.

At that point, I called the fight over because there was no way the two gnolls left were going to make it to a door or survive a fight. The ogre leader got away, and they are sealing a door and trying to have a rest.

It remains to be seen if they will get it. I think it unlikely :)
raleel

Postby Pentallion » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm not familiar with the tune Dropkick Murphy, but it sounds interesting. As is your adventure. Good reading.
Pentallion

PreviousNext

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences