Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Stormbringer Arkwright Classic Fantasy Star Wars RQ Campaign

Stormbringer Arkwright Classic Fantasy Star Wars RQ Campaign

Postby Pentallion » Fri May 13, 2016 2:43 pm

So it's not always possible for our Dragonlance group to get together on the same night each week so we devised an impromptu campaign that we'll be playing as a sort of pick up campaign on those weeks when the entire group can't make it and we're short handed. It starts off with all D&D characters who were transferred to Classic Fantasy. They are all Rank 1 and Rank 2. Their first adventure will be Ravenloft. There is a deck of many things in the Ravenloft adventure and the players will draw from it. Inevitably, someone will either draw the Void or Donjon, that character and the deck will disappear. That person will be trapped on another dimension by a Dharzi Lord. The Dharzi Lords magic has told him that this character is crucial to his goals.

The players learn that they have little chance to defeat the powerful sorcerer who has their friend, but that there is a plane of existence where the enemies of the Dharzi would be interested in knowing of his whereabouts and might provide aid. So the players manage to summon someone from that plane. A Melnibonean. It so happens that the Melnibonean from the Young Kingdoms would be very interested in hunting down the last of the Dharzi Lords. So he joins the party as a replacement character for the player who lost his character to the Deck of many things. The Melnibonean then brings the players to the Young Kingdoms where they must adventure to find an object that will help them hunt down the Dharzi Lord.

They then find out that the Dharzi has created a bubble maze of interconnecting universes to hide his exact whereabouts and the heroes must travel through many dimensions of the multiverse to get to their destination. Along the way they meet up with a Luther Arkwright Valhalla Agent and learn that the Dharzi is a Disruptor agent. They proceed to an intergalactic civilization on another plane where they meet a Jedi who has learned that the dark side of the force is being fed power from another plane. He travels with the party to destroy this dark source.

They even find themselves labeled Chaos creatures on Glorantha.

Each step of the way, they replace losses with characters from each plane. All of them RQ.

All ur roleplaying games are belong to us.

Yesterday, we started up the initial band of heroes.

Irivar: Rank 1 Half elf fighter-cleric who owns a powerful Staff of the Python.
Vale: Irivar's brother, a fighter-mage.
Thorvald: Rank 1 paladin
Ganog: A much more experienced rank 2 hill dwarf fighter thief. He has a Daern's Instant Fortress and a ring of invisibility among other things.
Zed: Rank 2 half elf fighter mage. He owns Zed's Ded Box which is a kind of Leomund's Labile Locker. He has a fairly decent repertoire of spells as well.
Maura: Just shy of Rank 3, this human female cleric of St. Cuthbert is the leader of the party.
Branth: A rank 2 fighter. He wields an intelligent Frostbrand.
Sven: We call him Conan. Nuff said.
Iskandar: Rank 2 half elf fighter mage. He once controlled the Golden Skull and was instrumental in destroying the Temple of Elemental Evil, but the skull left its mark upon his now conflicted soul.
Nerevar: Iskandars cleric brother. He saved Iskandar from the darkness with Maura and Ganog's help.

The group is so large because each player has two characters and it's intended to be a pick up campaign for when we're short handed and can't run Dragonlance. Also, since there is intended to be a great deal of attrition along the way it helps to keep players active until a replacement character can be found. No one really minds losing a former D&D character if they're replacing it with a Jedi, Melnibonean, Luther Arkwright, Orlanthi character along the way.

Our first session didn't get far enough to really write a report. The group was only six strong. They had their fortunes read by Madam Eva then everyone loaded into Zed's Ded Box except Maura who shrunk the box and put it in her pouch, then flew her Ebony Fly straightaways to Castle Ravenloft where they entered via the top of one of the towers. There they fought a pulsing heart that controlled the tower stairs and sent flying halberds at them. That's as far as we've gotten.

No timetable on when we'll play again. It's totally impromptu. The characters of the players that weren't there are said to be searching for a breach in the magic that keeps them all trapped in Barovia. We will continue to rationalize the ever changing party makeup until after the Dharzi Lord steals away one of them. At that point, he curses them to make it harder for them to come after him. Members of the party will randomly phase in and out of existence. so the entire party will never be present at one time. Only the characters of those players who could make it that night. that will help make sense of a campaign we only play because we're short handed that week.
Pentallion

Re: Stormbringer Arkwright Classic Fantasy Star Wars RQ Camp

Postby threedeesix » Fri May 13, 2016 4:07 pm

Amazing, and a fun concept.

Rod
threedeesix

Postby ptingler » Fri May 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Sounds fun.
ptingler

Postby Pentallion » Fri May 13, 2016 8:24 pm

threedeesix wrote:Amazing, and a fun concept.

Rod

You and TDM made it possible with Classic Fantasy. Thanks.
Pentallion

Postby jholen » Fri May 13, 2016 10:12 pm

I was thinking to myself that Luther Arkwright could be the glue that could connect TDM's entire lineup plus Glorantha. Awesome! Staying tuned to your progress.
jholen

Postby Pentallion » Thu May 19, 2016 12:43 am

So we played more Ravenloft tonight. They continued down the spiral staircase until they found an archway that led down a hall and behind a statue, they noticed a secret door. This led to Strahd's bed chamber. Here a beautiful young lass was sleeping. They woke her up, determined that she was the lost Gertrude that they'd heard of. They saw no marks on her neck and she didn't detect as evilly inclined so they whisked her back to her mothers home in the village. Then they explored some more, found the Holy Symbol in the Study. Maura took it. Behind the fireplace they found a secret door which eventually led them to 5 giant spiders which they lightning bolted and fireballed, but still had to wade in a chop to pieces. Tough little buggers those giant spiders are. Then they celebrated as they plundered Strahd's treasure room.

The funniest part was when they found a shaft and the paladin had a wizard levitate him down the shaft. He came out into a large antechamber and from the room across the way heard organ music. I quickly did a Youtube search and played the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTVraVgzC9U

He immediately hightailed it out of there and joined back up with the party lmao!

The party eventually made its way as a group to the room with the organ music, having fought two wraiths along the way. they opened the doors, saw Strahd playing the organ. Ganog shot him with his crossbow of speed doing double damage to the head and rolling quite nicely I think he did 20 something to the head. Much cheering by the party and I heard someone say, "Well, that was anticlimactic."

Of course, it was just an illusion of Strahd, which then vanished and I played the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNKIEviSW0

Then they explored some more until they got jumped by 8 gargoyles, upon which a battle royale ensued, but they finished off the gargoyles with only minor scrapes to themselves and we called it a night.
Pentallion

Postby threedeesix » Thu May 19, 2016 5:24 am

Sounds like an awesome session.

I know that Strahd was an illusion, but for any future run-ins, don't forget that being an important NPC, he can have Luck Points if you choose. It will help any further "20 somethings to the head". ;-)

I really enjoyed the session report, keep us updated.

Rod
threedeesix

Postby Pentallion » Thu May 19, 2016 12:40 pm

He most definitely will have luck points. I'm watching how this group interacts and have been forming a pretty good plan for when Strahd attacks. First, mirror image to defend against Ganogs crossbow. Strahd's goal is to take something from Ganog so I've noted that Ganog often moves ahead of the group invisibly so a timely hold portal to cut him off so that Strahd can be alone with him should work. The rest of the party needs to be attacked during this time so the shadow demon and the vampire maid should keep them busy. Once he's gotten what he needs from Ganog, he can start fireballing into the main group. If the plan goes astray, luck points and turning to mist are a strong combination. It shouldn't be too hard to get away from them.

In fact, if he polymorphs Ganog into a copy of himself and polymorphs himself into a copy of Ganog, things could get really interesting when the rest of the party get past that held portal.

They'll not soon forget their first encounter with the Vampyr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNKIEviSW0
Pentallion

Postby Pentallion » Sat May 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Prepping for Stormbringer.

One of my players used to play Stormbringer with me when it first came out in the 80's. Classic Fantasy is a throwback to old school D&D and he wants us to play old school Stormbringer. but I want to fix a couple of things I always tired of and thought were broken. All demon armor would get Con Drain and Regeneration and all demon weapons would get Str Drain. Screw that! This is Chaos! So I'm going to create a chart of chaos features for each demon subtype, Combat, Protection, Desire, Travel, Possession and Knowledge. Instead of paying for the desired ability, the sorcerer pays 10 pts to roll for each random chaos feature. All demons start with a feature for each D8 of POW at a minimum and that must be paid for out of the stat pool when creating a new demon. If the sorcerer ups the demons power to 4d8 or higher, he gets 25% more stats, but must pay for an additional chaos feature. Each table will be designed so that the chaos feature makes sense for the demon type summoned. There will be a sub table for Demons of Travel to accomodate Portals and Teleporters. The Sorcerer rolls D100 and consults the appropriate table.

This is going to take a bit of imagination so I more than welcome any ideas any of you might have.

some ideas I've had:

Demon of Teleportation - Sorcerer must swallow the demon and let it run its full course through the sorcerers digestive tract. When it exits from below, usually within a minute or two, the demon then teleports the Sorcerer. The GM should make the experience quite unpleasant. Perhaps it tastes foul or uses a stinger to make its way. Tenacity check required until the sorcerer gets used to the experience.

Demon of Knowledge - The demon must first drink blood. The blood donor matches willpower with the demon each round or the demon gorges itself and the donor loses one fatigue level and must resist each round until successful or dead. If the sorceror loses a willpower struggle this way, his other demons will immediately rebel. Thus, most sorcerers prefer slaves for this purpose.

Demon of Knowledge - Demon has a skill of 1d8x10% additional skill in any one lore. It is his specialty.

Demon Portal - to open this portal requires a rare plant that is only found in the Vale of Xanyaw and only in spring. The plant must have been plucked no more than 2 days prior to its use to still have potency. Magical means may extend the plants potency if it can be prevented from withering.

Demon Portal - This demon can only open portals to 1d8 other worlds. The DM should devise what planes of existence this portal may open up to.
Pentallion

Postby Pentallion » Wed May 25, 2016 6:27 am

Beginning to wonder if the Dragonlance campaign is DOA. Tonight we played Ravenloft once again. Four very young red dragons are laughable in the original D&D. Four size 37 red dragons are a bit more of a concern. Branths sword, which despises red dragons immediately spoke to them in their own tongue, saying "Die dragon scum!" and Branth charged straight in, his sword doing +6 to fire beings. All four reds flamed him, but the Frostbrand gives protection from that and between that and a crtical parry, he avoided taking any damage at all.

We then spent a long time trying to determine how the reverse of Enlarge would work, since that spell isn't detailed in CF, but Zed had the spell from before. We decided upon a 10% change in size per intensity. Shrinking one of the reds by 50% didn't seem like a big deal, but it actually made a lot of difference. Ganog shined with the crossbow again, critting the shrunken red which, after the stat change, turned out to be enough to maim a leg.. Torvald the paladin and Iskandar sprang to Branths aid. Zed shrunk another red and it went down, but then he was out of magic points and it became apparent that the reds were much tougher when not shrunk. Irivar suffered the greatest loss of the battle when his Python staff slithered up to a red only to see a 01 roll that bit the Python cleaning in half. Bye bye staff. Seeing as that was Irivars sole claim to fame, it was a devastating blow. the Battle ended with Branth critting the last dragon in the head for a clean decapitation.

After healinig up the wounded, they opened up a door that led down a long hall. Ganog went invisible and went in first. That's when Strahd sprung his trap. The door slammed shut behind Ganog, wizard locked. At the same time, a shadow demon attacked the rest of the party with complete surprise and a vampire attacked from the opposite direction. Amazingly, the battle was over in 2 rounds. Torvald ran his sword through the vampires chest and Iskandar decapitated it. Bam, Bam, dead. Just like that, one strike rank apart. I was like Wow! the shadow demon tore into Vale, but a light spell from I forget who drove it back into the shadows and then the party quickly cut it down. After Maura failed to Dispel Magic on the Mage Held door, they began hacking it down.

Beyond the door, Ganog found himself alone with Strahd. The vampyr smiled and insisted he meant the dwarf no harm. Ganog wasn't listening. He fired his crossbow, but it hit a mirror image. Then he used his boots of springing to leap to the other side of the vampyr. Strahd continued to insist he meant no harm, all the while staring intently at the dwarf who managed to resist the domination. It was only a matter of time, however, so Ganog whipped out his Daern's Instant Fortress and tossed it at Strahd, shouting the command word.

The damage to Castle RAvenloft was immense. the fortress did not cause the hallway to collapse, but it would not hold for long. As for Strahd, he took a major wound to every hit location, but used all 7 of his luck points to reduce them to serious wounds, turn to mist and escape. It took a while for him to recover from that. Ganog returned the fortress to normal size, leaped back across the devastation and walked up to the door just as they broke it down.

Then things took an interesting and very unexpected turn. Ganog lied about what had happened. He said he'd shot the vampire and it had bounced off, not that he'd hit a mirror image. He also said that Strahd had inflicted all that damage to the building. Iskandar took one look at the wreckage and immediately guessed that the Instant Fortress had done that. Ganog confessed. No one ever got an explanation for why he'd lied about what had happened, but immediately they all assumed that the vampyr had taken control of the dwarf and Ganog couldn't be trusted. A lot of discussion went on and Ganog had to surrender his ring of invisibility, which he quickly stole back from the paladin. Irivar was put in charge of keeping a constant eye on the dwarf.

After exploring a couple of levels and killing zombies, the organ music began again. The party discussed going back down to confront Strahd, but decided it was probably a trap. It wasn't, but I knew they'd think so and wanted to mess with their heads.

then they found the accountant and from him learned that the crypts were all in the lowest part of the castle and found their way to the nearest stairs down.

That's where we called it a night.

Some thoughts: The night went slow because too many creatures that don't exist yet in the game, such as Shadow Demons and lots of spells the original D&D characters had don't yet exist in the game either. But we're getting through it.

Strahd. I want to work him into the overall campaign plot, but not quite sure what relationship he has with the Dharzi Lord, if any. I did decide on two things though: Sun Sword = lightsaber. Even in the description, it's just a hilt that leaps onto one of the PC's swords. Instead, it's just a hilt that will leap to the Force sensitive player and viola, Lightsaber. Who that is, I haven't decided, but am leaning towards the paladin. He seems the most Jedi Knightish. Definately not Iskandar. He's a budding Sith Lord lol. Branth already has the Frostbrand. This means Strahd is either from the Star Wars univers or he's been there. I've already decided that the Dharzi Lord is probably going to be the Sith Lord so that creates the following situation: Strahd lured the party to Ravenloft, that's already written into the adventure. Strahd has a lightsaber on the premises - next to his coffin in fact. the Deck of Many Things will trap one PC by a Dharzi Lord. That Dharzi Lord is a Sith and a Disruptor agent. hence, Strahd may be a former apprentice or perhaps as the original vampyr, he's a creation of this Dharzi Sith Lord. So his bringing the party to Ravenloft has an even more sinister purpose.

I just need to work on what that is.

The other thing: Ireena is supposed to be the reincarnation of STrahds love. I'm changing that. She's this dimensions iteration of Strahd's love. Arkwright multiverse means there is one of us in each multiverse. The PCs may think she's a reincarnation, but in fact, she's just the local copy. HIS love died in the dimension he came from. So he's here to find her version and try to awaken her psionic powers so that she can remember who she was in the other dimension.

Which ties in with him possibly being from the Star Wars galaxy and having been the Dark Lords apprentice. Darth Strahd haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8
Pentallion

Next

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences