Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Stormbringer Arkwright Classic Fantasy Star Wars RQ Campaign

Re: Stormbringer Arkwright Classic Fantasy Star Wars RQ Camp

Postby Hexelis » Sun May 29, 2016 11:53 am

Awesome. I had the same thought to run Curse of Strahd with Arkwright characters. I was also thinking about using Tragic Millennium Europe, Achtung Cthulhu, or After the Vampire Wars as other possible parallels. I don't have Classic Fantasy... yet.
Hexelis

Postby threedeesix » Mon May 30, 2016 8:55 am

Hexelis wrote:I don't have Classic Fantasy... yet.

Whaaaaat? :o :)

Pentallion, great session report as usual. To bad I didn't know you needed Enlarge. Several spells were cut from the book to make room, and that was one of them. Sounds like there should be a joke in there. It will be included in the next, but I would have let you playtest it.

Rod
threedeesix

Postby Hexelis » Mon May 30, 2016 10:54 am

threedeesix wrote:
Hexelis wrote:I don't have Classic Fantasy... yet.

Whaaaaat? :o :)

I have that version for that other game. But I plan on getting it as soon as funds permit.
Hexelis

Postby Pentallion » Mon May 30, 2016 4:24 pm

I'm shying away from Strahd being force sensitive and leaning more towards him being somehow related to a creature that will appear in the next Arkwright campaign pack that can possess people and absorb their memories. So let's take what I know: I'm having the Dharzi Lord be the Sith Lord who is draining away the Force to power a disruptor artifact that will cause the Conjunction of the Million Spheres so the Disruptors can destroy this reality and reassert the reality that they came from. WOTAN represents forces of The Balance in this scenario. The Jedi might turn out to be the Lords of Law in a sense. So I still have to figure out how Strahd came into possession of a lightsaber. I think I'll have Strahd actually be the alien Arkwright creature. have him escape the Ravenloft adventure - even if they kill Strahd, this thing doesn't die, it just slips away in the shadows. It does love Ireena and it came from another parallel to find her version on this world. I think I'll have it that the creature absorbed the essence of a Sith and thus changed from the alien lifeform it was into what we know as a vampyr. Aha! This typing out loud trick seems to be working. I'm in freeflow now, ideas growing out of the keyboard. Since he absorbed a Sith, the Dharzi Lord is aware of him and he, having absorbed the Sith, is aware of the Dharzi Lord. He knows what the Dharzi has planned. The Conjunction of the Million Spheres. Having failed to awaken Ireena, he believes if the Spheres conjoin and all her selves become as one, then it will be HIS Ireena. So he is secretly aiding the Dharzi Lord, but he has his own plans to betray him once the Spheres are one so that the Distruptors fail and he can have his Ireena for eternity.

So he must know where the Dharzi Lord is, and therefore, when the Melnibonean completes his quest for the item that will lead them to the Dharzi, it turns out that what it really does is allow them to chase after the one being in the multiverse who could lead them to the Dharzi - Count Strahd, whom they will presume they destroyed in the first adventure. This will take them straight into the Arkwright universe and from there into Star Wars.

Yes, I think this is starting to form up nicely.

Sith: Image

Strahd after absorbing the Sith: Image
Last edited by Pentallion on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pentallion

Postby Pentallion » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:00 am

Tonight was awesome!

They worked their way down to the lowest levels. Then Branth got teleported into a cell where Strahd charmed him. Fortunately, his intelligent lawful good sword was having none of it and stabbed Strahd in the chest. Strahd used a luck point to not go down, turned to mist and fled. when the PCs rescued Branth, the sword let them all know that he'd been charmed by Strahd, so they tied him up and put him in Zed's Ded Box. They also rescued a peasant and put him in the box, not knowing he was in fact a werewolf, but the paladin had detected evil so at least they tied him up too.

Image Image Image Image Image

eventually, they found themselves trapped in a room, trying to figure out how to get the magically held doors to open when they found the Deck of Many Things. I've never seen so many cards drawn from that deck before. Irivar had to fight Death and he barely survived, he gained the services of a rank one fighter. Ganog got three wishes and we decided he was not to draw anymore cards so we wouldn't lose the wishes. Vale hopes he never has to save vs petrification, he also changed from lawful neutral to chaotic good. Maura had very bad luck. She lost all her magic items and she had the most in the entire party. She is now hated by an arch demon and she's also hated by an entire cult. Which demon and which cult I will have to decide, but I want it worked into the overall plot. I'm leaning towards hated by Pyraray and all of Pan Tang. Torvald went up in his charisma and power. He also will know the answer to his next dilemma. Zed, gained a +2 longsword, went up in all his requisite skills and was then Donjoned by the Dharzi Lord. Since Zed had the Ded Box, that meant Branth and the werewolf were gone too. At this point, Ganog used a wish to learn that a Dharzi Lord on a hidden plane had Zed. He used another wish and a Melnibonean appeared who possessed a demon of knowledge that could help them hunt down the Dharzi Lord across the multiverse. Ganog used his third wish to say that everyone in the party had no problems with the Melnibonean joining them. I'm not going to punish the paladin Torvald for being under the influence of this wish since it could be argued that he's doing a greater good and for plot expediency.

So Bob, who lost his character Zed, got to roll up the Melnibonean.

Dear Mother of Arioch!!

He rolled max power for a Melnibonean - 30!!!! With a 22 Int that made her a Rank 5 sorcerer. She is a warrior noble hunter. We spent two hours rolling her up, her name is Terhali. She starts with 4 demons. Demon armor that can help her swim, adds to her stealth and has chameleon properties, plus shapeshifts from armor to a dress. She has a demon weapon that can shapeshift into any weapon she knows how to wield. It gives her leaping ability as well. And it hates bears. Her demon of knowledge sucks one level of fatigue worth of blood for each question asked and wont stop until a willpower roll is won. While this happens it immobilises Terhali and gives off a hideous stench in a 10 ft radius roll Endurance vs 80 or fall and vomit. she calls it her stink bomb defense. And she has a ring of teleportation that refuses to teleport demons of desire.

She could wipe out the entire party with ease if she desired. Bob noted that she doesn't really need the other PCs to carry out her quest, but it's always good to bring cannon fodder.

Branth being charmed by Strahd and then captured by the Dharzi Lord makes for an interesting situation. Now Strahd has a mole inside the Dharzi lair. I'm thinking this link explains how he knows how to find the Dharzi across the multiverse and Terhali's demon of knowledge can follow Strahd, leading the heroes to their friends.

They've decided to continue searching Castle Ravenloft to finish off the vampyr. Then have Terhali open a portal to the Young Kingdoms where they must seek a special flower at the Vale of Xanyaw that will open the portal to the place they must go next. I intend to keep them busy in the Young Kingdoms for a half dozen or so adventures including an involuntary visit to Pan Tang.

The downside is that we were going to playtest Enlarge, but Zed is gone now. So unless Vale or Iskandar learn the spell, we won't be using it for a while.

Oh, and while I know the Melnibonean is already powerful enough, since High Melnibonean is the language of magic, she need only roll her 57% High Melnibonean to read one of the PCs spellbooks. In effect, her High Melnibonean is her Arcane Casting and Arcane Knowledge rolled into one. so there's that.
Last edited by Pentallion on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentallion

Postby Pentallion » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Terhali unleashed the silver arrow from her bone bow. Another kill. The werewolf had proven to be less satisfying than she'd hoped for. She had hoped its animal cunning would be elevated by its human origin, but its bestiality had won out. All too easy. She sighed. The novelty of hunting humans had worn off. What she really needed was someone who could challenge her. She'd toyed with the idea of researching the ways of the Dharzi, the ancient enemy of the Melniboneans who had been excellent hunters. They'd created chimera for their enjoyment. Part man, part beast. They'd even created special hunting dogs. But they in turn had been hunted into extinction by the Melniboneans. What then?

She pondered this as she returned to her estate on the Isle of Melnibone. Perhaps if she dreamt upon it. Answers could be found in ones dreams. She lay upon her dreaming couch and drank the potion that would send her mind to other realms, there to seek prey worthy of a predator such as herself. Almost immediately something tugged at her conciousness. Her mind followed the call. It led her to a dark and dreary castle. A group of half melniboneans stood around an obvious agent of law and a dwarf. Several humans were with them. No, these weren't really half melniboneans, but perhaps cousins to her race.

"Why have you summoned me?" She demanded.

It was the human female who spoke. "Our friends have been captured by an evil being on a distant plane. One known by many names. The Dark Lord, the New Omega, the Last Dharzi Lord. Our magic has told us that you would know how to take us there."

Terhali laughed, "The Last Dharzi Lord? The Dharzi are all extinct. My people hunted down and killed all of them."

"That is what our magic has told us. We trust our source. Perhaps one of them escaped."

A faint and familiar stench assaulted Terhali's nostrils. "Yes Fart Bomb?" she asked. The gold ring on her left hand spoke. As it did so, the others in the room grrimaced at the foul odor of its fetid breath. "In my studies of the Million Spheres I have heard of this one called The Dark Lord and the New Omega. He is a planar traveller. His predecessor was slain by the greatest planar traveller of them all, Luther Arkwright. It could be possible that a Dharzi Lord capable of travelling the multiverse could have escaped the annihilation of his race."

For the first time in years, Terhali felt her pulse quicken. The Great Hunt she'd been looking for! This could be it! Asking her demon a question was dangerous. It could leave her an empty husk if she couldn't overpower it. She decided this was worth the risk. "Can you locate what sphere he is on?"

"I do not know the answer to that question my lady. I will seek the knowledge." It would not feed until it found the answer so it would find the answer or die seeking it.

Terhali knew it could be days, weeks, even months before the demon returned. She needed to make a decision now. The choice was easy. "I will help you find this Dharzi. I will hunt him down and kill him. You will rescue your friends."

"
Last edited by Pentallion on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pentallion

Postby Pentallion » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Strahd smiled. It was a terrifying smile. He had been unable to take the gem from the dwarfs necklace of adaptation, but that now worked to his advantage. It was the last piece needed for the Dark Lord to create the Entropy Configuration. Now that the Dark Lord had the dwarfs friends, they would be seeking him out. Unwittingly bringing him their own doom. Strahd himself would no longer be needed to be the gem bearer and so he would be of no more consequence to the Dark Lord. He knew his Master had no intention of reuniting him with his beloved Ireena. Soon Strahd would slip unnoticed through the multiverse and be there, hidden, ready to strike when the Dark Lord brought about the Conjunction of the Million Spheres.

For now he knew where to find the Dark Lord. He reached out his mind, seeking his servant. "Branth, heed my call. Are you with Zed?"

"Yes my lord" came the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCEf5XAgh1M
Pentallion

Postby threedeesix » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Awesome! Well, not the not being able to playtest my Enlarge spell. But Awesome none the less. :D

Rod
threedeesix

Postby Pentallion » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:59 am

Wow! We played back to back nights. Everyone wanted to see the Melnibonean in action and we did. Needless to say, the old school Stormbringer game is so broken and a rank 5 Melnibonean is the most broken of all. But tonight had different challenges than they were used to and even the Melnibonean felt powerless to do anything. Ghosts are still terrifying, fortunately, the dwarf could absorb an extra decade more easily than most. The Banshee was still just as deadly and nothing the Melnibonean could do but save or die. The spectre I converted to an old school RQ3 wraith for lack of better inspiration on the fly. that went down quickly to the Melniboneans demon weapon.

Highlights: Iskandar picks up the Lightsaber and finds out hey, this weapon is really badass!. Terhali manages to gain control and ultimately allies a Nightmare. Torvald, the paladin, slays Strahd, Iskandar sees a shadowy creature escape the vampyr's body just before the killing stroke. The Melnibonean is about to destroy the thing when it controls her instead and she allows it to escape. Given her stats, this awed the players more than anything else. Then they found the tome of strahd and learned of the creatures alien heritage. how it had possessed a being from another dimension, strahd, and had been irrevocably changed into the first Vampyr. They learned that the Dark Lord had commanded Strahd to lure Ganog to his castle because he possessed the last piece needed to construct a device that would help Strahd bring back Ireena. They learned that merging with Strahd hadn't changed the creature to good, but it had developed the capacity to love, a trait it had not had before.

Now they've finished Ravenloft. The demon Fart Bomb returned to tell them that while it could not break the Dharzi's defenses and learn his whereabouts, he did discover someone who does know how to find the Dharzi and is in fact, travelling to him right now - Strahd. So though they destroyed the vampyrs body, they now know the alien being still lives in its natural form and is seeking a way across the multiverse. In order to follow him, Fart Bomb says they must return to the Young Kingdoms and gather the fruit of a plant that grows only in the Vale of Xanyaw.

Terhale opened a portal and the players entered Immryr the Dreaming City.

Things that will be different in the Young Kingdoms: the Lawful clerics will be cut off from their gods, so no healing magic. Irivar, being chaotic good now, still has to find a new god to worship. He may find a chaotic one here, but can he find a good one? So no clerical powers at all. The magic users can still cast arcane spells. Armor no longer blocks its full AP. Instead, plate blocks a 1d10-1 (+2 w/ helm) plus any magical plusses. Torvald is now an Agent of Law. He has Branths sword and it is a virtuous weapon here. Nerevars weapon, Scather, is the equivalent of a demon weapon, but it still has the same powers. I may add some chaotic features to it while on this plane. The clerics may be able to reach out to lawful orders but unless they find a native agent of law, they really will have no access to lawful powers.
Pentallion

Postby Hexelis » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:54 am

Wow. Big thumbs up.
Hexelis

PreviousNext

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences