Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Sorcery/Theism Changes. Balanced or not?

Sorcery/Theism Changes. Balanced or not?

Postby Morvar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:41 am

Hello!

First of all, sorry for my bad English!
In my homebrew Fantasy World are 3 different Kinds of Magic.
Two of them use “the Source” on a direct and indirect way.
Mages get Power directly from “The Source”.
People with “True Faith” get Power from the Gods, who take the Power from “The Source” and modify them with their Spirit.
The last one use their inner strength to push their body and mind over the human spectrum.

In RQ6 Terms I want to use Mysticism for the last one.
Sorcery for Mages and Theism for “True Faith”.
But here is my Problem:

Because Mages and Priest use the Same Source on different ways, it is not logically to me, that Priests are so mighty (Magnitude = Devotion/10) against Sorcerer.
And Priest only get their Pool for casting back, if they are in a holy place….
Both doesn’t fit to my world. A worshipper of the Sun God should be able to go on a quest in the darkness…

What if both (sorcerer/Priest) get the same MP Regeneration? And on the other side, Mages get Magnitude in the same way like Priests. But Priest get an additional +1 for all Miracles and +2 on holy ground?

I hope you understand what I mean. I apologize again for my bad English.
Morvar

Re: Sorcery/Theism Changes. Balanced or not?

Postby azrooh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi Morvar, have you played a game with these magic systems as written? They're already very powerful, and removing the restrictions keeping them in check risks rendering mundane characters useless.

Abilities and spells for magic users, clerics, and monks from Classic Fantasy might fit your game without such a sharp increase in power level.
azrooh

Postby Jefferiot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:35 pm

azrooh wrote:Hi Morvar, have you played a game with these magic systems as written? They're already very powerful, and removing the restrictions keeping them in check risks rendering mundane characters useless.

For some campaigns, that's desirable. He may be running a campaign where all of the PCs use magic and everyone who doesn't use magic is the peons.

axrooh wrote:Abilities and spells for magic users, clerics, and monks from Classic Fantasy might fit your game without such a sharp increase in power level.

Yes, Classic Fantasy has a lot of ideas on customizing RuneQuest 6 in it, which could help creativity when designing a custom magic system for a non-classic fantasy campaign.
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby Morvar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Thx for the answers!

@azrooh
I have played Runequest 3 in the german version from WDS (Welt der Spiele). We never had a problem with too powerful mages. Mundane Characters like Thieves and Warriors had their Highlights.

@Jefferiot

No, in my campaign are only a few Mages/Clerics. 5 players ...but only one Mage.

But back to my question. Is the answer: Try it? Make Playtesting? Or has someone more experience about this?
I had played Gurps. But this is to....much....for me...an my time...

Thanx again for your answers.
Morvar

Postby Jefferiot » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm

If your table isn't familiar with D&D, then I don't necessarily recommend Classic Fantasy. As you said, you don't have much time for re-inventing, so you'd prefer something ready to go. I think you said that you're used to using a version of RuneQuest 3 but you want to use magic systems that I didn't know or forget (perhaps since I used RQ3 for Glorantha) were in RuneQuest 3. I think standard RuneQuest 3 was a modestly complete world pack for the Byzantine empire.

Using Mythras with Shores of Korantia will give a pretty much complete world with cults, prices, social strata, politics, and so on in a way similar to the way RuneQuest 3 did. It uses the new kinds of magic, but it's not necessarily as much about monsters as about humanity. It may have more of the kind of the monsters that manipulate man's politics, while pretending to help elite men, for example demons. Also there are orcs and mermen operating in man's sphere on a par with man. It can be a maritime game like RQ3 offered with Byzantium, but it's up to you whether your campaign stays ashore.

The giant outrigger canoe you see to the right was made by my free-diving fisherman character, called Flies with Swordfish, in our maritime campaign set in the Shores of Korantia.
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Return to Rules and Mechanics