Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Sand Box Style Mythras?

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Sand Box Style Mythras?

Postby umbraldragon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:02 pm

I gave this some thought, and came to some conclusions (some obvious, some not so obvious.)

I've played some games Powered By the Apocalypse (PBtA) and the element I like about it is using something called Dungeon Starters http://www.finemessgames.com/DWsupplements/dungeonstarters. I was in the mind of possibly experimenting with this concept.

Don't have time to put together an adventure? Decided at the last minute that you and some friends wanted to play some Mythras? No problem, as long as there's characters, or even a character generator, you could just whip up or whip out a Myth Starter!

Could there possibly exist a way to implement something like a Myth Starters, sand box style set of adventures? Set in Thennla? Mythic Brittain? The Realm? Crapsack World? oops...did I say that? LOL (great game btw!) or possibly a setting of your own devising? What are your thoughts, suggestions, concepts? :ugeek:
Certain mystes aver that the real world has been constructed by the human mind, since our ways are governed by the artificial categories into which we place essentially undifferentiated things, things weaker than our words for them.
- Gene Wolfe
umbraldragon

Re: Sand Box Style Mythras?

Postby raleel » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:11 pm

I don't see why not. Should be pretty straight forward.
raleel

Postby ThornPlutonius » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:05 am

Or just have a sandbox campaign where in the players move their characters within your world while you use the occasional random encounter table or your imagination to play upon their choices.
ThornPlutonius

Postby Atlatl Jones » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:48 am

It shouldn't be hard. Monster Island is a big sandbox, but it's not an almost fully improvised sandbox like the PBtA games.

Sandbox creation tools like those created by Kevin Crawford for his Sine Nomine games would also work with Mythras.
Atlatl Jones

Postby Marras » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:21 pm

I have been thinking of this, too. I think Mythras works very well as a sandbox game especially because characters are so well tied to their cultures and communities. There are bound to be friends and enemies and if not those of characters' then those of their relative's.

If you want to start from scratch it would help if the setting is decided to some point before actual character generation as it affect what kind of characters are interesting and viable. That also affects what kind of gear is available, what sort of combat styles, cults, magic styles are available. Then passions can be used to fuel the action.

What I have thought to use are clocks but you have to modify how you use them. Usually just one failed roll is not bad enough to move the clock one way or another but then again the outcome of a whole adventure can rest in one skill check.
Marras

Postby Matt_E » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:33 pm

Sometimes we emphasize the difference between weather and climate, because this difference gets blurred or lost. Along these lines, here I would like to clarify the difference between setting and style.

I think of sandbox as a style of play: player-directed, as opposed to GM-directed. This is not the same as the GM using some (randomizer) tools to come up with an adventure despite no preparation. That would still be GM-directed.

What helps round out such a low-prep scenario, no matter what inspirational tool is used by the GM, is good hooks for PCs on one end and the larger setting on the other. Marras alludes to this. Having a sufficiently detailed or otherwise interesting setting, with lots of possible hooks to characters and adventures, is necessary for--but not the same as--having the players decide what direction to take next.

Put another way, think of you game in terms of 3 components: (1) the PCs, (2) the setting, which includes NPCs, locations, histories, etc., and (3) the plot (action), broken up into scenes that make up adventures that make up story arcs that make up campaigns. These three components need to be hooked together in fun, believable ways. The players make the PCs, hopefully not in total isolation from the GM. The GM makes everything else, unless he enlists players to help. The most important of these may be the hooks that tie everything together. Maybe the hooks should be reckoned as a fourth component; whatever.

With all these pieces in place, you decide how your group will use them. That's when it becomes sandbox or not.

From my POV, Umbraldragon wants ideas for scenes, leading shortly to scenarios, perhaps with instant hooks to some setting. I would not term this a sandbox.

--my $0.02
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby umbraldragon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

I'm kind of suggesting having something you can go to if you're pressed for ideas or time. I don't always spend time with one campaign setting or one system due to the nature of my gaming groups (which tend to be neophytes). I might not remember everything there is to know about a certain region of Korantia, so a starter might be nice with some landmarks, a little history of the place, and a plot hook list or a rumors list that's derived from the meta story - or not.

It's just a suggestion that might help some GMs, who don't always get to immerse themselves into a setting. You might be GMing "In Flames" one day and "Taskan Empire" the next. Some one page summaries or note cards (it's what I've started using) about different regions could also work too. I'll admit, it's taken me a while to memorize the pantheon of gods and their relationships in the "Shores of Korantia" book and that's a fundamental part of the setting. :ugeek:
Certain mystes aver that the real world has been constructed by the human mind, since our ways are governed by the artificial categories into which we place essentially undifferentiated things, things weaker than our words for them.
- Gene Wolfe
umbraldragon

Postby Matt_E » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:47 am

So, I'm hearing that such a reference product is of interest. I will keep it in mind for development at Old Bones. :-)
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby umbraldragon » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:20 pm

I have some supplements that I use for plot hooks, but they are generic and from other game systems. I would prefer to use something that's specific to Korantia, The Realm, or Mythic Britain. There are many plot hooks in the supplements, I am slowly putting them into a stack of index cards, and I'm grateful. It just makes it easier to pull up one pagers when the PCs decide to head off into an unprepared area. I can wing it just as poorly as then next gm, but this would make it at least "look" like I know what I'm doing - lol! - and keep the setting intact.

One of the elements that intimidates new players is the style of campaign supplements. There are no B1 Keep on the Sunderlands A Hack and Slash Adventure for 3 to 6 Archetypes of Levels 1-3 in Mythras. This, admittedly is a great thing, but it can deter new gamers. Korantia, is a beautiful setting with lots of room for experienced GMs to expand and create, but if you're a new GM and as you read along you find out that Korantia has 18 gods in the pantheon, I think I'd freak out a little. As it is, you might just grasp the combat system enough to attempt a combat scene, but how do you run a campaign that focuses on intrigue?

How do I handle that? How many temples of which gods do I need to have in a city, a town, a hamlet, a village, a farmer's hut? Does everyone believe in the gods, or is it just lip service? And how about the race of Dagomils? Do they worship different gods too? How do I even put together an adventure with all this stuff in it? It dons them that if they buy Mythras this weekend along with Korantia, they will not be ready next weekend to run a game.

This might just turn them to the dark side, spend $150 and more on core books and a pre-made campaign - just saying. :ugeek:
- Gene Wolfe
umbraldragon

Postby Matt_E » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:12 pm

umbraldragon wrote: There are no B1 Keep on the Sunderlands A Hack and Slash Adventure for 3 to 6 Archetypes of Levels 1-3 in Mythras.

I am trying to address that, but I need a little time. :-)
Matt_E

Next

Return to General Gaming & Discussion