Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Sand Box Style Mythras?

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Re: Sand Box Style Mythras?

Postby raleel » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:34 pm

umbraldragon wrote: There are no B1 Keep on the Sunderlands A Hack and Slash Adventure for 3 to 6 Archetypes of Levels 1-3 in Mythras.

Working on it!

umbraldragon wrote: This, admittedly is a great thing

awwwww

umbraldragon wrote:, but it can deter new gamers.

yes, exactly. This can be a challenge. It was a challenge for my group, though none of the are new gamers. It has taken more than a dozen sessions for them to get really comfortable, but they are up on 16 sessions of Mythras-things, so I suppose they are moving pretty good now.

umbraldragon wrote:This might just turn them to the dark side, spend $150 and more on core books and a pre-made campaign - just saying. :ugeek:

[/quote]

A premade campaign would be cool. I'll be the first to tell you I'm not the person for it, because I am very new to writing anything.

How about post some starters on here and mine the collective for one?
raleel

Postby Matt_E » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:11 pm

Circling back now, Umbraldragon, you may be interested in this: what-kinds-of-products-would-you-like-to-see-t1853.html.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby umbraldragon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks Matt, I've been out of the loop for a bit. Life happens. I see you've an interest in campaigns for beginners. Thanks for pointing me to that link! :ugeek:
Certain mystes aver that the real world has been constructed by the human mind, since our ways are governed by the artificial categories into which we place essentially undifferentiated things, things weaker than our words for them.
- Gene Wolfe
umbraldragon

Postby Matt_E » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:39 pm

You're most welcome. :-) Welcome back.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Icefield » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:45 pm

For Sandbox play I think it really does come down to hooks for stories, or details and stamp collections for environmental play. I try to introduce hooks but I don't use Quantum Ogres or Hooks I am not ok with leaving behind. Once the hooks have started to play out the cause and effect should kick in once the characters have done something. I guess it comes down to whether or not their actions were of any consequence to determine if it's working, but I have had players over the years who really don't need to do heroic or challenging stuff all the time. I have started experimenting with what a friend of mine calls "Dirt Poor" games: really seriously granular world with minimal hand waves and a lot of accounting. If they are not going to chase after the princess and kill her captives then in the meantime I will tax their wagon load of cabbage.

I have spent years of trying to keep the cabbage wagon out of the game, but I recently decided that if they want it they can have it and I made rules for cabbage wagon drama and economics.
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Postby Matt_E » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Icefield wrote: cabbage wagon drama

Wow. I guess it takes all kinds. :)

See, I would make that tax just a little more than the character has or can borrow--instant plot hook for a risky scenario that could go quite wrong...
Matt_E

Postby Icefield » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:25 am

Matt_E wrote:
Icefield wrote: cabbage wagon drama

Wow. I guess it takes all kinds. :)

See, I would make that tax just a little more than the character has or can borrow--instant plot hook for a risky scenario that could go quite wrong...

Yeah I always tried to go the narrative route, but it started to feel like I was always using quantum ogres or fiat. I feel that consequences that they bring on themselves can't be 100% or it becomes predictable. We kill the Cabbage Merchant and then retreat to the castle where we prepare for the siege of the town guard. I don't really enjoy the task of using unlimited power and options to fight them even if it is necessary. So I figured I would allow them to have some low-story moments to build contrast when I do add something. I mean it's crazy and I never would have thought, but they seem to eat that cabbage wagon stuff up. The players get all excited, start writing stuff down and counting their cabbages (or whatever).

I admit to being a bit uncomfortable with the fact that I did make giant randomized loot tables, value by rarity tables, and other crazy stuff like harvesting and gathering charts, but my players seem to love it.
Icefield

Postby Matt_E » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:47 pm

hahah Well, whatever works for you.
Matt_E

Postby Icefield » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Matt_E wrote:hahah Well, whatever works for you.

Matt you're making me feel dirty :) lmao. Yeah I am telling myself it's an experiment, but I may well be digging my own gaming grave as far as this group is concerned. I think because they are younger than me I am basically appealing to their familiarity with computer games rather than pure tabletop RPG storytelling goodness. I also always liked how Traveller had random hooks for a patron, and I would not roll until just before the game or sometimes not until they talked to that guy so that I could feel some of the excitement of chance. I recently realized that a major problem with my GMing is that I am too nice. I don't like taking stuff from them or hitting them with their self-imposed doom. In my games all of the decisive action happened in combat where I could externalize the blame to the dice. This meant that the only really consequential things that happened were almost always in combat.

That is a weak way to run games, because it basically makes for players who tune out until combat comes along. If combat is the only way they experience adversity, then combat alone gets their attention. I realized that being too nice of a guy was making some of my games kind of boring. So I decided I needed to be more adept at using adversity in general, and that meant getting rid of (as much as possible) my favorite nice guy tool: hand-waving.
Icefield

Postby Matt_E » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:00 pm

That's an insightful piece of self-reflection. I fall into the same trap: too nice, too hand-wavy. That's when I GM, though. When I write the scenarios that you folks see, the gloves are off.

About this current group of yours, what are your expectations? As you say, if they're former-computer-gamer noobs to tabletop RPGs...they may have a different idea of what's fun than you do. As long as after the break-in period you're all sufficiently satisfied (but be honest...), do you really care whether the game turns out to be what you had in mind beforehand? ;-)
Matt_E

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & Discussion