Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Runic Affinity in RQ6

Runic Affinity in RQ6

Postby jholen » Sat May 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Seeing as the new RQ:G appears to be treading more and more away from RQ6 and more towards RQ2 I've been encouraged lately to simply use RQ6 as it exists today in Glorantha. I'll admit I've been a bit daunted by tweaking it, as it seems a challenging hurdle to get over, but thankfully with all the user generated content like Skoll/Hannu's RQ generator, Hannu's cult one pagers, and all those brave souls who've forged on ahead of me with their session reports (Pentallion) I'm attempting to dive in. I've done a bit of reading and particularly found this quote from Loz, buried in the cult one pagers thread of Hannu's, quite helpful. I wanted to dive a bit more into and so have quoted it below with some conclusions I've drawn.

loz wrote:Runic Affinity for Glorantha works much differently to the old Mongoose system so I'm afraid it won't help Pentallion much. There's no real secret to it; it's reminiscent of HQ's Rune Affinity system, but codified for RQ. Every character has 3 Runes (typically related to their culture, but can also be random) that operate at a %. Certain Passions and character traits are linked to your Runes, and the Rune Affinity score acts like an augment (as do Passions) and, in the cases of the higher magic systems, replaces one of the casting skills.

We can't go into more detail here for obvious reasons, but that is the overall gist - and reasonably easy to replicate for your own campaign.

Taking a look at HQ:G I recalled from memory (and screwed up on thinking of the highest rune as W instead of 1W -- so the math is a tad bit off) that characters start off with three rune abilities at 13, 17, and 1W (I calculated at W). I figured that the 13 would simply represent the character's base ability and looking at the professional skills in RQ6 surmised that POW+CHA would be the best bet. I suppose if a specific rune is more tied to sorcery INTx2 might be more appropriate as well as Mysticism falling into POW+CON however I didn't really get the sense of that. Runes seem so closely tied to the Gods/Goddesses of Glorantha that it seems to match up best with POW+CHA. I wanted to use percentage differences to differentiate between the three levels as it would hopefully accurately reflect the base character's ability as determined by their abilities as compared to flat bonuses and so I looked at HQ:G in more depth. The difference in HQ:G between the lowest rune and the highest was 35%, with a difference of 23.6% between the base and second tier, and a 15% difference between the second tier and highest. I noticed that the following worked out to be very similar.

Lowest Rune @ simply POW+CHA -- net base
Second tier @ (POW+CHA) * 1.3 -- 24% improvement from base
Third tier @ (POW+CHA) * 1.5 -- 14% improvement from base

Seeing that HQ:G has a bit wider of spread in terms of the highest tiered runic ability I'm pretty satisfied with a bit more conventional approach that I've got but now the question would then be with these rune abilities added to the character would they simply fit into the cultural step in generation or simply be three additional skills added on? I'd freely welcome any input on this as I'd really love to dive into exploring Glorantha with RQ6. The wife and I have a HQ:G game going on but I've been itching to dive into RQ6 as I really enjoy the D100 based systems as they just 'click' for me. Thanks
jholen

Re: Runic Affinity in RQ6

Postby Pentallion » Sat May 21, 2016 4:58 pm

I think those numbers are a bit low. An avg. Pow+Cha is 21. Your second tier is only 27% and third tier 32%. Instead of multipliers, why not simply treat runic affinities like standard or professional skills? You gain three, all at base Pow+Cha, along with your cultural skills. No percentage of your cultural skills goes into it, you simply receive the affinities. Your professional skills then generates an additional runic affinity, which must be one of the three you took during standard. This time you do sink %'s of your pro skills into it. During your bonus %'s at the end, you have to choose two of your runic affinities to increase and one of them must be the one you increased in professional.

This would give the average PC three runic affinities ranging from 21%, 26% and 31% if he put 5% into each one to 21%, 36%, 51% if he sunk 15% into each one.
Pentallion

Postby jholen » Sat May 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Pentallion wrote:I think those numbers are a bit low. An avg. Pow+Cha is 21. Your second tier is only 27% and third tier 32%. Instead of multipliers, why not simply treat runic affinities like standard or professional skills? You gain three, all at base Pow+Cha, along with your cultural skills. No percentage of your cultural skills goes into it, you simply receive the affinities. Your professional skills then generates an additional runic affinity, which must be one of the three you took during standard. This time you do sink %'s of your pro skills into it. During your bonus %'s at the end, you have to choose two of your runic affinities to increase and one of them must be the one you increased in professional.

This would give the average PC three runic affinities ranging from 21%, 26% and 31% if he put 5% into each one to 21%, 36%, 51% if he sunk 15% into each one.

A much more elegant solution! And it solves the aspect of when you would be able to increase the skill -- I like it.

Thanks!
jholen

Postby jholen » Sat May 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Awesome -- feeling a bit under the weather so pulled out my RQ6 book, HQ:G for some reference material, and rolled up the below character. Still fleshing it out a little bit, this will be my first character for the system so any insight is greatly appreciated. Pentallion, your suggestion worked great btw!

Hrek -- an Initiate of Lanbril

Hrek was recently initiated into the Lanbril cult and is setting out to prove himself and further investigate the untimely death of his father, Ranzowars, as well as the deplorable seduction of his mother Zaria by his now stepfather Dryar. Hrek suspects Dryar of having a direct hand in his father's untimely death as Dryar was a longtime competitor of his father's business and shop that he ran in Nochet. Dryar now conveniently dominates the market and has stolen his father's rightful place by his mother's side. Hrek hopes to leverage some of the connections and skills he hopes to acquire from the Lanbril while also proving himself as a valuable asset.

I've attached the character sheet in as images to the bottom of the post of what I currently have. I rolled characteristics in order and also tried to leverage passions for the above story hook. Currently, while I have a HQ:G game going with the wife (it is postponed currently) I'm hoping to run some solo adventures using the wonderful GameMaster's Apprentice Deck.

Still need to develop the following:

• Combat Style suitable to Thief profession: need weapon choices, and a combat trait -- leaning towards daggers, some ranged weapon and the trait of hidden weapons (as suggested in the RQ6 core book)
  • Equipment and conversion of starting money into Gloranthan terms
  • Sorting through of beginning Folk Magic/Theist Magic -- I'm using Hannu's One Page Cult draw-up for AiG and will leverage Cult Compendium for details

I was thinking a cool exploration would be to play out Hrek's training now that he has been initiated and maybe mix into that the learning of magic. Curios to hear your thoughts!

Front Page:
Back Page:

-- Jonathan
jholen

Postby Pentallion » Sat May 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Looks great. Glad to be of help. I don't see the runic affinities on that character sheet though. Probably right in front of me.
Pentallion

Postby hkokko » Sun May 22, 2016 12:31 am

Thanks for the kind mentions. Pentallion suggestions look good. Will need to work on some new things for the content - real life got ahold of me these spring months
hkokko

Postby jholen » Sun May 22, 2016 1:00 pm

Pentallion wrote:Looks great. Glad to be of help. I don't see the runic affinities on that character sheet though. Probably right in front of me.

They aren't... I was wondering where they might fit best. I'm guessing just under Magic Skills on the front page

They came out as follows:

Illusion: 53
Disorder: 38
Darkness: 23

I played it exactly as you suggested Pentallion, acquire three in cultural phase, boost one in professional, boost two in bonus with the one you chose in professional being one of the two.
jholen

Postby skoll » Tue May 24, 2016 1:01 am

I used POWx1, POWx2 and POWx3 for the runic affinity bases.

How are you planning to you the affinities? Just as passions, or would they also affect magic?

BTW, in case you didn't notice, there's a long discussion about runic affinities in thread rune-affinities-t275.html
Mythras Encounter Generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
skoll

Postby deleriad » Tue May 24, 2016 3:28 am

skoll wrote:I used POWx1, POWx2 and POWx3 for the runic affinity bases.

Personally I would use POW+other as base chance depending on the rune to capture the old insight that runes are linked to elements of the body. E.g. Darkness might be POW+CON, Air might be POW+DEX and so on.

Of the three runes I would have the default runes that a person gains affinity with as culture + professional + family/personal or tribe+clan+family and so on.
I would also have these in addition to "normal" skills.
E.g. I would *probably* at this point say they start as: basex2, basex1.5 and base
Bruce
deleriad

Postby jholen » Tue May 24, 2016 12:06 pm

skoll wrote:I used POWx1, POWx2 and POWx3 for the runic affinity bases.

How are you planning to you the affinities? Just as passions, or would they also affect magic?

BTW, in case you didn't notice, there's a long discussion about runic affinities in thread rune-affinities-t275.html

Excellent thread! I'm going to dig through it to get more ideas.

My original thought was to hopefully use the runic affinities in a similar vein as HQG -- so in essence limit the spells available in both folk and theist magic to those applicable runes for each. The affinities would act as both the skill check to cast and also as a passion to drive the character. This is my first foray into RQ6 let alone RQ6 in Glorantha so we'll see how it goes.

Currently in my campaign my PC has just joined a cult and so has no access to any magic though will be training with them so runic affinities will merely act as augments/passions.
jholen

Next

Return to Glorantha