Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

RuneQuest 2 Reprint

RuneQuest 2 Reprint

Postby Arren » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:46 am

Hi,

I came across information that RuneQuest 2 will be 'reprinted' with errata and few other bits. I have no idea if this is a one off?

This is good in a way - though does this mean there will be more than one RuneQuest in operation (RuneQuest II, RuneQuest 6, RuneQuest 6 with added Glorantha)?

Not sure I will get this reprint myself as I like the added rules and combat of RQ6, though I do like that retro cover!
Last edited by Arren on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Man resorts to magic only where chance and circumstances are not fully controlled by knowledge" Malinowski
Arren

Re: RuneQuest 2 Reprint

Postby loz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:55 am

It's a one-off, if my understanding is correct. Glorantha is officially 50 years old in 2016, and the RQ2 reissue is a celebration of that.

It's a terrific cover, and to my mind still the best RPG cover produced, even after all these years.

We'll have some news regarding RQ6's future quite soon, once a few details have been ironed-out.
loz

Postby pachristian » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:12 am

I will definitely buy the reprint - RQ (1 and 2) were by far my favorite games for - 20+ years. What I admire most about the game was it was everything you needed to play, and nothing you did not need, in one easy book.

However, when I think back about my old campaigns, the sheer volume of house rules is staggering - probably more than the thickness of the rulebook.

Thanks, I'm working with RQ6 now, and while I have a few pages of house rules it doesn't come anywhere close to what I needed for RQ2. I'll stick to the newer system.
pachristian

Postby pachristian » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:12 am

I will definitely buy the reprint - RQ (1 and 2) were by far my favorite games for - 20+ years. What I admire most about the game was it was everything you needed to play, and nothing you did not need, in one easy book.

However, when I think back about my old campaigns, the sheer volume of house rules is staggering - probably more than the thickness of the rulebook.

Thanks, I'm working with RQ6 now, and while I have a few pages of house rules it doesn't come anywhere close to what I needed for RQ2. I'll stick to the newer system.
pachristian

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:40 pm

After 35 years of game development, I'd imagine that RQ2 would be a bit rough around the edges in comparison to RQ6. That said, it's stil a fascinating bit of history to own and the eye opener is really by comparison with AD&D 1st edition which has also been reprinted in recent years (and is available as a download). Side-by-side it's clear just how much more polished and clear in execution RQ2 was by comparison at the time.
TrippyHippy

Postby Vile » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:43 am

Definitely adding a few copies of this to my bookshelf. Mine are getting a bit tatty.

Vile

Postby soltakss » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:30 pm

TrippyHippy wrote:After 35 years of game development, I'd imagine that RQ2 would be a bit rough around the edges in comparison to RQ6.

RQ2 works very well as a game.

The improvements that later versions of RQ have introduced are mainly expansions and extra rules, rather than changes to the core mechanic. RQ6 has changed how combat works, but most of the rest is barely better than RQ2.

Not that I am dissing RQ6, it is a very good game, but RQ2 is not as bad as people remember it to be. RQ3 is better than RQ2, though, except for its atmosphere.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby loz » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:47 pm

but most of the rest is barely better than RQ2. Not that I am dissing RQ6, it is a very good game, but RQ2 is not as bad as people remember it to be. RQ3 is better than RQ2, though.

Simon, I’d hate to see what you’re like when dissing a game...
loz

Postby soltakss » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:02 pm

Don't get me wrong, RQ6 is a very good game and has a lot of detailed information. In fact I use a lot of things from RQ6 in my current RQ3ish game. The only reason we haven't moved to RQ6 is that our players are used to the current system and it would be confusing to move now.

I see RQ2 as the basic core of "all" D100 games. A lot of stuff has been added to newer games, to improve the games, to make certain areas flow better, to add functionality that just wasn't there in RQ2 and to make the game better in all ways.

That is great.

It's like taking a spoon and adding a fork on the other end and making the edge of the fork into a blade, so you have a knife/fork/spoon in one thing. That is great and works better than a simple spoon, but do I need it? The spoon works quite well as it is, so does it need these changes?

A better analogy would be taking a Model T Ford and comparing it to a new Mercedes, what do you need all that extra stuff for? The Model T goes along quite happily, has doors that open, a roof, an engine, four wheels and so on, so why add things to it? RQ6 adds all the good things that are missing from RQ2, but RQ2 still works quite well on its own.
Last edited by soltakss on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby TrippyHippy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 am

The main area of development in the RQ system is that RQ6 doesn't require as much table referencing in game play.

I'll be buying RQ2, in the same way I have Classic Traveller. I'll be using RQ6 rules to run fantasy games, however.
TrippyHippy

Next

Return to News