Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

RuneQuest 2 Reprint

Re: RuneQuest 2 Reprint

Postby soltakss » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:12 pm

TrippyHippy wrote:The main area of development in the RQ system is that RQ6 doesn't require as much table referencing in game play.

I'll be buying RQ2, in the same way I have Classic Traveller. I'll be using RQ6 rules to run fantasy games, however.

I have bought all versions of RQ, save RQ1, with an awful lot of supplements and don't see that stopping.

It would be ideal if people bought both RQ6 and RQ2.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby loz » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:43 pm

A better analogy would be taking a Model T Ford and comparing it to a new Mercedes, what do you need all that extra stuff for? The Model T goes along quite happily, has doors that open, a roof, an engine, four wheels and so on, so why add things to it?

Better reliability, higher safety, increased luggage capacity, lower fuel consumption, better handling, reduced carbon emissions…

Honestly Simon, RQ2 is a fine, fine game, and you’re perfectly entitled to your own opinion. But coming out with the comment “...but most of the rest is barely better than RQ2” is somewhat disingenuous.

Anyhow, I’m looking forward to the RQ2 reprint. I have the Chaosium and GW boxed sets, and am looking forward to adding a nice hardcover to the collection.
loz

Postby Bilharzia » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:34 pm

soltakss wrote:It's like taking a spoon and adding a fork on the other end and making the edge of the fork into a blade, so you have a knife/fork/spoon in one thing. That is great and works better than a simple spoon, but do I need it? The spoon works quite well as it is, so does it need these changes?

A better analogy would be taking a Model T Ford and comparing it to a new Mercedes, what do you need all that extra stuff for? The Model T goes along quite happily, has doors that open, a roof, an engine, four wheels and so on, so why add things to it? RQ6 adds all the good things that are missing from RQ2, but RQ2 still works quite well on its own.

None of the analogies I've read about the OSR-like/Nostalgia reprints make much sense, people also make the analogy to old albums and bands which really make even less sense. Game systems aren't forks or cars or bands or songs because they work differently and the idea is you play using the system, you might enjoy reading the artefact and enjoy the object if you are a collector but that's different from the experience you get playing using the system. The idea that there are RQ2 players who absolutely refuse to use anything newer than RQ2 and stick religiously to that rulebook is a new one to me. RQ and it's extended family never seemed especially bothered about those kinds of distinctions since when it came to actually playing the game you just use whatever you want. The only time I've seen edition warring being much of an issue (before this OSR infection) is with some CoC people who would prefer RQ didn't exist, imagining CoC rose out of primordial time like a Great Old System.

RQ6 adds all the good things that are missing from RQ2, but RQ2 still works quite well on its own.

Yeah... I think that's what most people think, and why they would rather play RQ6 and not use RQ2 whilst pretending they didn't know all of the good stuff in RQ6.
Bilharzia

Postby Belgath » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:57 pm

RQ2 was the first RPG I had ever played or owned I had received it as a gift from Grag Stafferd. Sold the place of nostalgia for me. But I have to say I would be more excited to here that RQ6 as it stands, is going to stay in print. RQ6 is a game that I spent many hours playing with my friends and kids. And if there still enough copies I plan to buy 4 more copy's so each can have one. I currently own for copies as it stands.
Belgath

Postby jongjom » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 am

Well tomorrow (Friday 27th November) RQ2 gets Kickstarted by Moon Design so time to Pledge! Rick says that the campaign will last until the 21st December. Pledge levels will be "In the tribe", "Lay member", "Initiate", "Rune Lord", "Rune Priest", "Rune Lord-Priest", and "High Priest" but we'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what they offer.

Here's hoping there will also be a CRQ / RQ6 Kickstarter in 2016.
jongjom

Postby Blacktoad » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi guys, I know this is off topic but it was brought up in this thread so will ask this here... Loz, you mentioned that "We'll have some news regarding RQ6's future quite soon, once a few details have been ironed-out." I have been looking but not seen anything yet, have I missed it somewhere else?

To keep this somewhat on track I will say this... RQ2 is where I started my Runequest journey some 22 years ago and have extremely fond memories of the games I played in those days. I still own a Stafford signed hardbound version but am looking forward to getting a copy of the kickstarted update.

Cheers,

Blacktoad
Blacktoad

Postby loz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi guys, I know this is off topic but it was brought up in this thread so will ask this here... Loz, you mentioned that "We'll have some news regarding RQ6's future quite soon, once a few details have been ironed-out." I have been looking but not seen anything yet, have I missed it somewhere else?

No you haven’t missed anything yet. Don’t worry, you’ll know it when you see it.
loz

Postby Belgath » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:33 am

Jest hit 100k not doing to bad.
Belgath

Postby Mankcam » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:10 pm

"No you haven’t missed anything yet. Don’t worry, you’ll know it when you see it"

Well that was the understatement of the year :-)
Mankcam

Postby hkokko » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:43 am

Oh my - looking seriously at the rewards table of the RQ2 and the recent news. Will likely downgrade - I was pitching in to support the previous line of RQ integration. I have all of the stuff there as rewards and extensions in print form already except for the 3 unpublished things and the only thing that I really wanted was the trollpak pdf for electronic copy anyway... Will wait a few days and see if the collectors urge comes back:-(
hkokko

PreviousNext

Return to News