Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Roll20 Sheet for Mythras

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Roll20 Sheet for Mythras

Postby DigitalPagan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Just submitted the pull request for the Mythras character sheet in roll20.net. The pending status of that pull request can be found here:
https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/pull/2703

The Runequest 6 sheet will remain in place so you will have to specifically change the campaign settings to use the newer Mythras sheet. Sadly the process of converting a character over is manual. You will probably want to wright down the important stuff and make a new character with the Mythras sheet. The good news is that the new sheet is versioned, so as future changes are made it will automatically manage any changes within the character data.

New features/major changes:
i18n language support:
* The sheet now supports dynamic translations. It will pick up your language settings in roll20 and automatically translate if available. I may reach out for some help with translations, its a bit unclear if Roll20 will initiate the crowd sourcing for this work or not.
* The prompts that appear in talent and sorcery spell rolls do not yet support this (roll20 limitation).

Auto-calculations:
* Auto-calc for everything, no need for additional api scripts.
* The only thing I couldn't do that I wanted was automatically show if a character would swim, float or sink in the Movement section. It does compute the number so you may see if its positive, 0 or negative but won't show the actual words.
* Most fields have an 'other' field which you can use to apply house rules to stats.
* Some of the auto calculated fields are computed in a different way than others. You may notice that they are styled to look like a disabled field, including the cursor change, but you can actually still change the values. The values will revert back to their calculated value if any changes are made however.

Settings:
* You may choose between Default, Mythic Britain and Luther Arkwright settings. This will change the language and names of certain fields like renaming magic points to prana points, locale to home paralell or showing new skills like superstition.
* Some sections unique to a setting, like Dependencies, are still shown regardless of setting. This allows you to borrow some mechanics from settings even if that is not the setting you are playing.
* Some support for Classic Fantasy exists like adding Rank to Luck. I have a copy but have not read it in enough detail to ensure the sheet can support the various changes it requires. I suspect the magic section is a bit lacking but the rest of it can make do. The new currency section allows you to add ENC to your coins, use a value of .01 to match ENC settings suggested in Classic Fantasy.

Design:
* Stylized elements of the sheet to allow a more compact layout. This makes it possible to fit more into the screen without any scrolling or tab switching.
* Reduced the number of tabs down to 4 sections and one special tab. Core, Magic, Equipment, Notes and All. The All tab will display the tabs together in one sheet that you can scroll all the way through.
* Made use of hidden sections so you can hide fields you don't need very often. Click the '+' to expand the hidden section for a field and '-' to hide it again. This is mostly used to hide the fields that make up the various values of a stat that you don't need during game play. So you will mostly expose these hidden sections during character creation and advancement. On rare occasion there are other fields used in game play (various difficulty values for example). Example below:
* The weapons section has 4 sub-sections for shields, melee weapons, missle weapons and firearms. You have the option of hiding any of the sections you wish.
* Same for the magic section. You can hide or show either of the 5 magic systems.
* I have removed a lot of the empty rows for things like combat styles, weapons, etc. They are now entirely dynamic allowing to add or remove rows as needed. The first time you add a combat style or language it will automatically add Unarmed and Native Tongue for you. This allows those fields to be made available by default while still allowing you to re-order them as you wish.

Rolls and Roll Templates:
* Removed the additional roll button which prompts for a penalty value (used when opposing someone with a skill above 100). There is now an actual penalty field for all skills. This allows you to set the penalty once for game play when its needed over and over again.
* Fatigue and Encumbrance will automatically add a big red warning when skills are reduced due to their effects.
* Another helper for dealing with skills above 100. All rolls automatically show the results as if it had a value of 100. This means there is no need to manually reduce your score down to 100 before rolling for opposed rolls. Example here:
* Added roll buttons for spells, talents and miracles. Talents will prompt for Intensity and Sorcery Spells will prompt for the various shaping components. I was not able to count the number of modified compnents so sorcery will ask how many you changed at the end to calculate cost and casting time. Example here:

New Sections and Fields:
* Added Movement section with all the movement values for jumping, climbing, swimming, etc auto calculated. Note the height fields in the character information section is actually important for jump calculations now. Make sure to set it as needed. The default height value is 178cm, the average per the SIZ chart.
* Added block check boxes for hit locations to save which locations are passively blocked
* Added ways to enable some of the sample Gifts shown in the Mythras rulebook
* Added an Initiative section which allows you to roll initiative and automatically add the result the the tracker
* Now have the ability to add custom standard skills
* Now have a repeating section with more details for spells, fetishes, talents and miracles
* New currency section where you can track the exact amount of money you have and it what denominations. Value would be as compared to the setting default currency or could be used for currency conversion.

Hopefully that captured most of it. Preview of the whole sheet below:
Last edited by DigitalPagan on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DigitalPagan

Re: Roll20 Sheet for Mythras

Postby DigitalPagan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:43 pm

PS If you want to starting using the sheet now before Roll20 accepts it in and you have a pro account, you can get the sheet code from:
https://github.com/DigitalPagan/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/Mythras

Just select custom sheet in the campaign settings and copy paste the code from Mythras.html into the html section, Mythras.css into the stylesheet section and translation.json into the Translation section. Just make sure to switch to the official mythras sheet later when it is officially available so you will pick up an future bug fixes, improvements, etc.
DigitalPagan

Postby Bilharzia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:23 pm

My initial impression is that it's a huge improvement over the RQ6 sheet, thankyou for working on this. I really like the "Hidden Sections" feature would it be possible to add this for spirits, or give the individual spirits more space? Customising the magic space is v.nice.
Bilharzia

Postby DigitalPagan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:33 pm

I would absolutely be open to adding some detail for the bound spirits. I mostly left it blank unlike the other magic systems because I didn't know what people would find useful. Probably because I don't have a lot of experience with the animism system myself. If you have a few ideas about things to include there I can try to add them.

The other thing which will come in the, hopefully, near future is a separate NPC sheet which is greatly simplified. This will be modeled after the Encounter Generator results to make using the two together easy. With that, it may be natural to build a whole new NPC character for each spirit an animism has bound. If the NPC sheet sounds like a better solution I'll just focus my energy there instead of adding to the spirits in the PC sheet.

Let me know which of those sound better.
DigitalPagan

Postby Bilharzia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:39 pm

I think keeping spirits in the character sheets is preferable, with compact stats and description, I'll have a think about what should be included.

Looking at sorcery - one of the things I've been designing is custom sorcery spells made up of a combination of base spells cast as a single spell, defined by a grimoire. Would it be possible to set up a pre-defined spell like this? for example, it would be something that combined Sculpt with Animate of a certain magnitude and duration etc. so that the description and effects, casting time and MP cost are set for that spell.
Bilharzia

Postby DigitalPagan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 am

Taking a look at the encounter generator results I would be inclined to keep spirits in the PC sheet as well. Based on the encounter generator it seems the following could be useful:
INT, POW, CHA, Intensity, strike rank, AP, spirit damage, spirit abilities, skills, folk spells, sorcery spells and miracles. Are there spirits with talents? I'm not even going to think about bound spirits that have their own spirits.

I think the real question boils down to, "should spirit spells/powers be a simple textarea or a repeating section where you can macro each one into a roll button." If I were playing an animist it could be useful to have a roll button for my spirits' powers. That is the use of automating things in roll20, reduce book keeping, look ups manual dice rolls, etc. The animist is essentially casting magic via proxy so why would the other magic user players get buttons while the animist players still have to look things up and roll the dice. I can also see that turning the Animism section into a complicated mess that is hard to parse on sight and ends up being information overload.

As for the question about sorcery combined spells. I tried to make a default button work for most cases but I realized that magic in particular could get very customized. So the macro behind the button can be edited to anything you need. The folk spell, talents, sorcery spells and miracles have a macro field in the hidden section. This is the brains behind the roll button. You can replace this with anything you want, just need to familiarize yourself the character sheet variables(not yet documented) and the macro system (https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros). The default uses a roll template (https://wiki.roll20.net/Roll_Templates) which you could also use or entirely do away with. The default sorcery macro is very complicated due to the shaping prompts(See the section about "Drop-Down Prompts for Roll Queries" in the Macro docs). The good news is that's the part you want to get rid of. So the parts that look like
Code: Select all
?{Magnitude Shaping|Option 1, value1|Options 2, value2......}
Replace it with
Code: Select all
assuming you want the static magnitude of 2. The cost and time would similarly be replaced but you will want to factor the cost of combined spells into the value you provide. The current sheet variables may not be documented yet but you can probably figure them out by looking at the existing macro code. Eventually I'll try to write up a page on the roll20 wiki to help support advanced customization like this.

I do have support for the less common shaping components like fortune and ablating on my to-do list. The plan is to make it possible to enable/disable individual shaping components in the default macro. Sort of like how individual magic systems can be enabled/disabled. That will allow for settings/house rules where you have to learn individual shaping components.
DigitalPagan

Postby xalabin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:50 am

Very nice!
Thanks for the job done.

Can i ask for a functionality?
I think that will be usefull to be the option to roll all only for the gm (a gmroll) not only for perception and stealth but for all.

In other terms.
Do you know how to use the new i18n? i want to colaborate on the english-spanish translation.

Thanks for all!
xalabin

Postby DigitalPagan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:30 pm

As for gm rolls I know it can be done, but I'll have to look at other sheets and see how they set it up as an option.

For translation take a look at this file: https://github.com/DigitalPagan/roll20-character-sheets/blob/master/Mythras/translations/en.json. Simply replace the English words/phrasing on the right of the keys (things ending in -u) with the translation. Do not translate the keys themselves. You can pm me the completed copy or if you are familiar with git/github make a pull request with your translation in Mythras/translations/es.json.

Thanks.
DigitalPagan

Postby Bilharzia » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:25 pm

DigitalPagan wrote:Taking a look at the encounter generator results I would be inclined to keep spirits in the PC sheet as well. Based on the encounter generator it seems the following could be useful:
INT, POW, CHA, Intensity, strike rank, AP, spirit damage, spirit abilities, skills, folk spells, sorcery spells and miracles. Are there spirits with talents? I'm not even going to think about bound spirits that have their own spirits.

Generally much more common now are spirits with 'Abilities' (which you could think of like 'talents') instead of being able to cast spells, at least they are in the game I run and my sense is that the 'default' assumption is that spirits with a spellcasting ability are rarer now than they used to be, of course, it all depends on setting.

Spirits now have one or more 'abilities' which sometimes have spell-like effects and sometimes are more like mysticism abilities - giving buffs (Augments) to the animist commanding them.

A typical spirit would have INT/INS, POW, CHA with a few skills - Spectral Combat, Willpower and one or more custom skills + one or more Abilities.
It would be nice to have the core skills rollable, with spellcasting skills as a possibility - but most spirits won't need this, and activating the Spirit's special abilities relies on the Animist's Binding skill, not a skill of the spirit's.

A special case would be the Shaman's Fetch - this could have an expanded area as it will tend to have more abilities and skills.

As for the question about sorcery combined spells. I tried to make a default button work for most cases but I realized that magic in particular could get very customized. So the macro behind the button can be edited to anything you need. The folk spell, talents, sorcery spells and miracles have a macro field in the hidden section. This is the brains behind the roll button.

ahh, thanks.

I do have support for the less common shaping components like fortune and ablating on my to-do list. The plan is to make it possible to enable/disable individual shaping components in the default macro. Sort of like how individual magic systems can be enabled/disabled. That will allow for settings/house rules where you have to learn individual shaping components.

Nice.

A query on "Strike Rank" - AFAIK that's been universally replaced by "Initiative" in Mythras.
Bilharzia

Postby xalabin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:30 pm

DigitalPagan wrote:
For translation take a look at this file: https://github.com/DigitalPagan/roll20-character-sheets/blob/master/Mythras/translations/en.json. Simply replace the English words/phrasing on the right of the keys (things ending in -u) with the translation. Do not translate the keys themselves. You can pm me the completed copy or if you are familiar with git/github make a pull request with your translation in Mythras/translations/es.json.

Thanks.

Nice, i am familiar with github so i will translate it this weekend or if you prefer i will pm you.

Thanks!
xalabin

Next

Return to General Gaming & Discussion