Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Anyone use BRP: Witchcraft in RQ6?

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Anyone use BRP: Witchcraft in RQ6?

Postby Mjollnir » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:59 am

Has anyone used the Chaosium monograph BRP: Witchcraft in your RQ game, and if so, what are your opinions of it?
Mjollnir

Re: Anyone use BRP: Witchcraft in RQ6?

Postby HorusArisen » Thu May 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Bump due to interest in any response
HorusArisen

Postby Bilharzia » Thu May 11, 2017 1:08 pm

I think Mjollnir himself bought a copy.

There's a review:
http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/201 ... craft.html
Bilharzia

Postby soltakss » Thu May 11, 2017 2:12 pm

I haven't, but that's just because I don't need witchcraft in my current setting.

BRP Witchcraft would work pretty well with RQ6/Mythras.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby HorusArisen » Thu May 11, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks all
HorusArisen

Postby Mjollnir » Mon May 22, 2017 12:17 am

I did in fact buy a copy, and it integrates into Mythras about as well as anything else BRP. It was worth the price, but I don't use it as-is. I used it as a source from which to draw for my own magic houserules. My version of Witchcraft follows, for anyone interested.

Witchcraft
Witchcraft is an esoteric tradition rooted in rural folklore, nature worship, paganism, diabolism and ancient mystery cults. Witches call upon spirits and natural magical forces to achieve their very practical, very human ends, primarily through the use of simple charms, talismans, herbal remedies, potions and incantations.

In addition to Folk Magic (Witchcraft), witches commonly learn the following skills: Craft (Potions), Healing, Influence, Insight, and Lore (Astrology, Herbalism, Occult and Poisons)

Folk Magic Spell List - Allure, Augury, Aura of Dread, Avert, Babble, Beastcall, Befriend, Befriend Animals, Befuddle, Binding the Tongue, Bless/Blight Crops, Bless/Blight Livestock, Calm, Charm, Curse, Curse of Affliction, Curse of Misfortune, Demoralise, Disruption, Evil Eye, Eyes of the Beast, Fanaticism, Fertility/Sterility, Find, Foretelling, Fortuna, Glamour, Heal, Health, Identify, Ignite, Knock, Light, Lock, Magic Amulet, Omen, Pet, Protection, Protection from Charm, Protection from Disease, Protection from Magic, Protection from Poison, Repugnance, Séance, Siren's Song, Sleep, Slow, Speak with Animals, Spiritshield, Tire, Voice, Weather Prediction, Weather Summoning, Witchsight

Regaining Magic Points
In addition to normal rest and meditation, witches may regain an additional Magic Point per day while in the company of her familiar.

Ritual Magic
Sorcerers may take advantage of the lowered difficulty as a result of Ritualistic Casting Times (RuneQuest page 172). If she spends an hour or more in the preparation, purification and performance of the magic ritual, the caster may make her spellcasting skill rolls at difficulty grade Easy.

Blood Sacrifice
In addition to their own, natural Magic Points, witches can empower their spells through animal or human sacrifice. Magic Points harnessed through Blood Sacrifice must be used immediately, lest they be lost; however since they are not drawn from the sorceress herself, they may be used to create long-lasting effects without limiting her ability to fully replenish her pool of Magic Points.

Cooperative Magic
A coven of witches may combine their energies to create more potent magical effects. One witch must act as the primary spellcaster and make the appropriate skill rolls, while the others may contribute Magic Points to the spell casting.

New Folk Magic Spells
Allure
Allure grants the caster a +30% bonus to her Seduction skill, or bestows it at its base rating if she does not already have it.

Augury
Instant
Augury allows the caster to gain a glimpse of insight beyond normal reckoning, learning the answer to a single "yes or no" question.

Aura of Dread
Resist (Willpower)
Aura of Dread grants the caster a +30% bonus to her Intimidation skill and causes everyone in her immediate presence to become demoralized (increasing the difficulty of most rolls by one grade) if they fail their resistance rolls.

Befriend
Special Duration
Befriend causes others to react more favorably towards the caster, generally being friendly and helpful. This has no effect upon avowed enemies.

Befriend Animals
Special Duration
Befriend Animals causes even the fiercest wild beasts to react favorably towards the caster. Once befriended a particular animal will never attack the caster except in self-defense. This has no effect upon animals that have already attacked the caster.

Binding the Tongue
Special Duration, Resist (Willpower)
Binding the Tongue prevents the subject from speaking about one subject, if he fails his resistance roll. This lasts one day.

Bless / Blight Crops
Special Duration, Special Area of Effect
Bless Crops ensures that a portion of cultivated vegetation (grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, etc) are protected from pests, blights and similar woes. The harmful version of this spell, Blight Crops, will instead cause the crops to become infested with vermin and blights, to wither and to fail. In either case the spell lasts one season and affects one acre of land for each Magic Point spent.

Bless / Blight Livestock
Special Duration, Touch
Bless Livestock ensures that a specific domestic animal is healthy and yields abundant byproducts (meat, milk, eggs, wool or as the case may be). The harmful version of this spell, Blight Livestock, causes one such animal to grow ill and its byproducts to be meager and of poor quality (meat will be sinewy, milk sour, eggs sulfurous, etc). In either case, the effects last one season.

Calm
Instant, Resist (Willpower)
Calm allows the caster to soothe, comfort and pacify an agitated, skittish or aggressive creature. If frightened or suffering from the effects of insanity, the subject may make another Willpower check (at one difficulty grade easier) to overcome it. If used upon a raging creature, it must make a Willpower check or be brought out of its rage.

Charm
Special Duration, Resist (Willpower)
Charm causes a person to fall under the caster's sway. A charmed character will view the caster in the most favorable light, is easily persuaded by her, and will go out of his way to help her provided the cost is not too high or the danger too great.
This spell may be broken if the caster commits some egregious act that would break their "friendship", mistreats or betrays the charmed character. This spell lasts one day for each Magic Point spent.

Curse of Affliction
Special Duration, Ranged, Resist (Willpower)
Curse of Affliction causes the victim to suffer some minor malady or illness, as determined by the caster. Examples include boils, the flu, impotence, etc. This costs 3 Magic Points and lasts one month.

Curse of Misfortune
Curse of Misfortune allows the caster to curse a person with improbably bad luck, inflicting a Hard difficulty grade to all the victim's Skill rolls. This costs 3 Magic Points and lasts one week.

Evil Eye
Evil Eye overwhelms the target with feelings of anxiety and dread, and curses him with bad luck. The difficulty of most rolls are increased by one grade; this lasts 1d6 days (1d6 weeks if the target fumbles his resistance roll). The target must meet the caster's gaze for this spell to take effect.

Eyes of the Beast
Special Duration, Ranged
This creates a mental bond between the caster and a specific animal, allowing her to see through its eyes and mentally communicate with the creature when she concentrates. This lasts until the caster next sleeps.

Fertility / Sterility
Fertility causes a person or animal to become fertile and to bear healthy offspring after mating. The harmful version of this spell, Sterility, causes the target to be barren. In either case, the effects last one month.

Foretelling
Instant
Foretelling allows the caster to glimpse into the near future, allowing her to predict the most important event likely to occur in the next week. If a character is forewarned about the event, he gains one extra Luck Point that may be used during the situation.

Fortuna
Special Duration, Touch
Fortuna allows the caster to bless a person with extraordinary luck and good fortune, granting him 1d4 extra Luck Points. These Luck Points remain until spent, or until one month has passed.

Health
Special Duration, Touch
Health grants the recipient a +30% bonus to all Endurance checks vs. injury and illness. This lasts one month.

Identify
Instant, Touch
Identify allows the caster to learn the general nature and identity of a type of creature or substance.

Magic Amulet
Special Duration
Magic Amulet allows the caster to enchant a talisman imbued with another Folk Magic spell. The enchantment lasts until the amulet is destroyed, however the caster will not recover the Magic Points used in its casting until such time.

Omen
Instant
Omen allows the caster to divine the auspiciousness of a planned, impending event.

Protection from Charm
Special Duration
Protection from Charm grants the recipient a +30% bonus to resist all types of charms, mental control, possession, etc, though it offers no protection against non-magical charms and temptations. This lasts one month.

Protection from Disease
Special Duration
This spell prevents the recipient from being infected by any type of disease, though it doesn't cures any disease he might already have. This lasts one week.

Protection from Magic
Special Duration
Protection from Magic grants the recipient a +30% bonus to resist all types of magic. This lasts one week.

Protection from Poison
Special Duration
This spell grants the recipient a +30% bonus to resist all types of poison and venom. This lasts one week.

Séance
Concentration
Séance allows the caster to call upon a spirit, petitioning it to communicate through simple signs blowing out a candle, knocking on a table, etc.

Siren’s Song
Concentration, Ranged, Resist (Willpower)
Siren’s Song allows the caster to enthrall those in her presence, as long as she continues to sing. Enthralled characters are totally captivated, and intent on listening to the caster's song, although they are neither oblivious to their surrounding nor do they lose control of their actions.
For purposes of this spell, the caster's Folk Magic skill is capped by her Sing skill.

Speak with Animals
Speak with Animals allows the caster to converse with animals. The usefulness of this varies, the caster can more meaningfully interact with animals of greater intelligence compared to mindless beasts. Negotiation typically requires an Influence skill check.

Weather Prediction
Instant
Weather Prediction allows the caster to forecast the weather conditions at her location as far as a week into the future.

Weather Summoning
Special Duration
This spell allows the caster to summon a specific type of weather. The more drastically she wishes to change the weather, the more magical energy she must spend.

Example Magic Point Cost
Summon clouds on a clear day 1 Magic Point
Summoning rain on an overcast day 1 Magic Point
Summoning rain on an cloudy day 5 Magic Points
Summoning or calming strong winds 5 Magic Points
Summoning or calming a rainstorm 10 Magic Points
Summoning a heat wave or a cold front 10 Magic Points
Summoning a hail-storm on a cloudy day 15 Magic Points
Summoning a lightning-storm on an overcast day 15 Magic Points
Summoning or calming a raging storm 20 Magic Points
Summoning a tornado on a calm day 25 Magic Points

Many of the spells were adapted from Spells of Legend, a fan-made supplement by "Prime_Evil".
Mjollnir

Postby Fall-from-Grace » Mon May 22, 2017 2:57 am

Thanks a lot Mjollnir for sharing that! It's exactly type of magic what I've had in mind if I have to create a Victorian Age horror (Penny Dreadful, anyone?) adventure, which I totally want to do at some point.
I believe that the Planes are meant to be experienced, and the more one experiences, in traveling, in joy, in pain, in merriment or in suffering, the more the multiverse reveals itself to you... And the more you are revealed to yourself.
Fall-from-Grace

Postby ThornPlutonius » Mon May 22, 2017 1:56 pm

Fall-from-Grace wrote:Thanks a lot Mjollnir for sharing that! It's exactly type of magic what I've had in mind if I have to create a Victorian Age horror (Penny Dreadful, anyone?) adventure, which I totally want to do at some point.

You might also find value in looking at the Openquest-based Renaissance Deluxe (RD) or Clockwork and Chivalry (CaC) out. They each contain a Witchcraft chapter (which may be the same chapter since CaC is built upon RD). I've not compared it to BRP's tome.
ThornPlutonius

Postby Mjollnir » Tue May 23, 2017 1:30 am

I have a hard-back copy of Renaissance Deluxe. It's very good. I really like how they did Witchcraft and drew heavily from it. It is a bit different, and adds a new derived stat called Magick (MAG), Int+ Pow /10, rounded up (so 1-4). MAG controls things like range and magnitude. Only Satanist witches can increase this attribute, "Unaligned" witches (those who haven't sworn pact w/ Devil) can't, hence the temptation of power.

I don't care for its Alchemy system though, I prefer the one presented in MRQII Arms & Equipment.

I just made Witchcraft a special form of Folk Magic approaching, but not quite, true Sorcery.
Mjollnir

Return to General Gaming & Discussion