Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

M-Space: Event Horizon

Re: M-Space: Event Horizon

Postby Pentallion » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Just realized I never posted the finale. Sorry about that.

So they jumped back into Reaver territory in their newfound Battlecruiser The Beast. They got a big surprise when they got back home: The Old Earth Union has used their new Jump-3 technology to sweep through the Alliance and wipe out all Reaver resistance, then launched all out assault on the Dingir flank. The PCs are horrified to see the devastation to their home worlds. The Man With Two Guns (For the life of us, none of us can remember the name of my son's character from the original Raptured campaign so this is what I'm calling him), reminded them that after they jumped beyond both event horizons, none of this would have ever happened. There won't have ever been a Reaver Alliance. So they made their way to Halo.

Before they jumped, Danthus turned to Slinger. "Where's your boy?" Danthus asked.

"In the VR room, playing some game about something called a Viking. He has no idea what's going on. I want to keep it that way."

Danthus could only nod.

Then they jumped into the Halo systems where the OEU was fighting its desperate last stand against the combined might of the Dingir and Vegans.

The only thing that was keeping the OEU alive was their cadre of psionic crew members, able to attack the enemy psychically across the gulf of space and their advanced battlecruisers. Nothing either side had, however, compared to The Beast. (In our original campaign the Raptured, this was the Beast of biblical prophecy, not a demonic being, a vast warship.)

Danthus set course directly to their next jump point, from where they would translate beyond the event hroizon. To get there, they had to fight there way past the three enemy fleets. No one knew who this strange alien ship belonged to, they only knew it wasn't on their side so they were fired upon by all sides. Only the largest capital ships had the firepower to inflict any damage to their ship and both sides also had each other to take into consideration so the battle became quite chaotic.

Danthus knew it didn't matter which side won if the Beast successfully made the jump so he focused his energies on keeping his ship intact and fought a purely defensive battle whenever possible, but didn't hesitate to blast any ship to dust if it got in his way or represented a grave threat. Gunni did an amazing job cutting down incoming missiles, but from time to time a nuke found it's target, preceded by the warning "Brace for impact."

But they were one ship and they faced three fleets. All hope seemed lost as they took a pounding and more ships kept coming. Then Lt. Danson decides to reach out with his mind and try to contact Lt. Sari, if she was out there. She was. He opened his mind to her. Let her know what the true danger was and what they were trying to accomplish. It was their only hope. It worked. The humans began intercepting any ship that tried to engage The Beast. The Vegans, by now, had figured out that this wasn't just any alien star ship, this was the ship they had fought over Earth ten thousand years ago and was supposed to have been destroyed when Earth was. They didn't know how it still existed, but whatever it intended, they had to stop it at all costs. So they began kamikaze runs.

Danthus diverted all defensive fire to stop the incoming Vegan ships, even if it meant more nukes got through. But the Vegan command cruiser was too big to take out and it was on a collision course. Danthus looked to his Navigator, but Kaydas just shook his head, they weren't going to make it.

And then Slinger flew the Event Horizon out of the hangar bay. His voice came on comms. "Save my boy sir. Make sure none of this ever happened." And with that he shot into hyperspace - directly into the oncoming Vegan ship. Both ships were vaporized. The Beast made it to their jump point and made the translation beyond the event horizon. But the damage to the ship had been extensive and she before she left this dimension, she slipped backwards through time, resulting in the ship meeting the Event Horizon in the previous episode, Alpha and Omega. Having already solved that time loop, the ship then went beyond our space to the realm where only God existed.

And a little boy was in a VR room playing a game about vikings when this happened. Of course, I didn't tell my players that. I let them believe they'd won and the campaign was over.

which takes my players unknowingly into our next campaign in this trilogy, The Winter King.
Pentallion

Postby Clarence Redd » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:35 am

Very cinematic ending. Well done. It sounds like you have had a great time playing.
Clarence Redd

Postby Pentallion » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:18 pm

I did. I've truly fallen in love with the game. I can see places I could have improved on it for the players. Their only critique is it felt there was less they could do than in a fantasy setting. That wasn't the games fault, that was my fault. What I needed to do was figure out what "spells" they would have had in a fantasy setting and give them tech that did the equivalent. A protection spell becomes personal body shield, fireball is a simple flamethrower, etc. But mostly, I think I should have developed some cool futuristic tech for them to play with. So in that sense, I feel I didn't rise to the occasion. When I go back to an M-Space campaign - which I most definitely will, I will make sure to incorporate more toys to play with.
Pentallion

Postby Clarence Redd » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:53 pm

M-SPACE is a bit sparse in the tech department. I hope to improve on that as more supplements are published. I like the 'spells equals tech' thinking. That makes it very clear what kind of gear is needed.
Clarence Redd

Postby Matt_E » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 am

I agree. The idea that "at some level, tech = magic" is an old one in the genre, and well applied here. Just figure out the effect/advantage you want, and build something.

It might be useful to consider this translation in terms of OSR magic items--think wands: magic effects as some preset level, with charges.

It might also be fun to consider how reliable the tech is... What if it just doesn't work 10% of the time, randomly? What if it affects the user sometimes? :twisted: Such side effects could model equipment that's damaged, poorly maintained, or long disused.

Along those lines, you might translate magic from a setting like Call of Cthulhu, where there are strings attached, and sometimes Really Bad Stuff can happen. It may make players think twice before throwing the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Previous

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences