Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Dark Souls and Mythras

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Dark Souls and Mythras

Postby timejockey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Just curious if anyone had tried to use Mythras for a campaign based on the video game series Dark Souls. With its emphasis on brutal, more tactical combat it seems like a perfect fit.
timejockey

Re: Dark Souls and Mythras

Postby skoll » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:01 am

I haven't done this, nor have I heard of any other projects that would have. But my first thoughts are, that purely combat-wise Mythras would not be a very good fit. There are several important Dark Souls tactical elements missing from Mythras - stamina management, roll-dodging, parrying, weapon hit- and recovery-speed.

Obviously you can run a Mythras campaign in DS-world, but if you want DS-combat, I think you will need rules specifically designed for that.
Mythras Encounter Generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
skoll

Postby Fall-from-Grace » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 am

Yesterday I read a old discussion of Runequest 6, can't remember where, where one person was amazed that there were some so deadly monsters in campaign he was playing that they simply couldn't be bested in combat straight away. Instead they had to do research and perhaps acquire some specific items to expose weaknesses of said monsters. I know it's not exactly the same, but it made me think about a Mythras adventure in Dark Souls-esque world. Game mechanics would differ a lot, but thematically I think it's very possible.
I believe that the Planes are meant to be experienced, and the more one experiences, in traveling, in joy, in pain, in merriment or in suffering, the more the multiverse reveals itself to you... And the more you are revealed to yourself.
Fall-from-Grace

Postby timejockey » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:47 pm

I think you could work up some quick and fast house rules to even get closer to simulating the game. The dodge rolls could be covered by evasion if you remove ending up prone and parrying is already in there. As written, fatigue doesn't really simulate the video game style stamina bar, although you could technically say action points could represent that. Or just come up with a pool of stamina that is spent either in addition to action points or instead of them, maybe based on the average of Con and Pow.
I started reading RQ6 around the same time I started playing Dark Souls and I remember thinking the same thing at the time. Not as a direct simulation, but so far it feels closer to the game than any other game I've seen in terms of tactics and potential lethality.
timejockey

Postby Bilharzia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:29 am

As far as video games go The Witcher is the closest to how I imagine a Mythras game would translate, the fact that the main character is an Elric ripoff probably helps.
Bilharzia

Return to General Gaming & Discussion