Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Question on Group Size

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Re: Question on Group Size

Postby Matt_E » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:47 pm

timejockey wrote:Oh yeah, I need to keep that in mind too. Have you ever done any battles with dragons as written in the core book? How did it go? What percentage of the PCs were greasy piles of ash in the end?

Our characters are not powerful enough yet, so, no.

If the dragon acts sensibly and can stay airborne, I suspect approximately 100% of the PCs will be burned to death, except for the ones who run away in some manner such that a vengeful dragon cannot follow. :o
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby timejockey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 am

As it should be. Unless your players somehow have access to a trebuchet, which makes me want to hear a lot more about your campaign.

One other question. Do the rabble/underling rules work well for more epic fights? I know that's what they are there for, but I was curious how it works out in actual play. I plan to keep my PCs pretty close to standard beginning characters, but would like some larger scale battles with goblins and bandits.
timejockey

Postby Matt_E » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:27 am

Sorry, I have not actually used those rules. Over the years we have seen a lot of combat, with full NPCs. Fights can be long, and interesting.

My recommendation is to have a session that doesn't count, in term of actual campaign play (no consequences, try anything), devoted solely to a big combat with the party against the goblins. If you can, run it once with fully characterized goblins, and once using the Underling or Rabble rules. That will probably amount to many hours of playing time...but could be very enlightening. At least it would give you and the players a lot of experience with the rules, and the flow of combat.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Jefferiot » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:07 pm

timejockey wrote:One other question. Do the rabble/underling rules work well for more epic fights?

The rabble and underling rules can work well when there are fewer than about 20 per side, but for more than that I prefer Ships and Shieldwalls.

timejockey wrote:I know that's what they are there for, but I was curious how it works out in actual play. I plan to keep my PCs pretty close to standard beginning characters, but would like some larger scale battles with goblins and bandits.

In actual play, when there are 20 per side, I guess how the combat will go, given the party's abilities, and suggest the way that would take ideally about an half-hour. So, if the party has crowd control or force force multiplication abilities that make it possible not to have to fight most of the enemy, I might recommend normal combat, but if they don't have that force multiplier then I might recommend to the players running it with Ships and Shieldwalls.

Crowd-control can be by using spells, by demoralizing the enemy, by bribing the enemy, by tempting the enemy with deception, by controlling the terrain, by controlling the timing, by political clout, by pulling rank, or causing the enemy to use up its resources, like its arrows and its freshness. Some types of force leveraging can go much faster by playing it in the local time of minutes or hours instead of in the melee round time of seconds. Even strategic time force leveraging would work in for example a pursuit situation of days or even weeks. It's all good if it only take about an half-hour to run.

In some settings, I would only use the rabble and underling rules when the enemy is actually rabble or underlings, so that's not always an option for me. For example, in a Classic Fantasy campaign, I wouldn't treat 1st level zealots as mere underlings. 1st level zealots have 4 luck points and unnatural morale. I'd sooner use Ships and Shieldwalls, giving them 60% competency and 140% morale for the battle than to treat veteran zealots as shrinking violets or squeamish crybabies, if you know what I mean.
Last edited by Jefferiot on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby golem64 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:09 pm

For more variety in a practice combat, you might want to run Pete Nash's Gladiators:
http://thedesignmechanism.com/resources ... eQuest.pdf
The Gladiators can be generated from the Encounter Generator. Just search Gladiator
http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
golem64

Postby hkokko » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:19 pm

With that many new (to RQ) players you might spend quite a bit of time in character generation. Perhaps you would like to try things out with pregens for the first fight try:

https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/20 ... elsewhere/
hkokko

Postby timejockey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:12 pm

I will have to look into Ships and Shieldwalls. There is one villain that is protected by his noble lineage and killing him would result in a war, so knowing the typical party of adventurers my story will eventually involve a war...

I actually thought about doing a gladiatorial style scenario where they do battle with each other and with some generic NPCs to get a better feel for combat. And I made up some pregens to use to teach them the system. I based them on more standard fantasy RPG archetypes with the warrior, the wizard, etc. They were all made with the standard points and all seemed to work out well. So my plan will be to run a few short test scenarios with these characters to get them used to the game and then have a session where all we do is character creation. I've found in other fantasy games people seem to already have the books so usually end up coming to the table with their characters. I would like them to build the party together and then take time to develop a relationship with each other in the early adventures.

And that encounter generator is a life saver.
timejockey

Previous

Return to General Gaming & Discussion