Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

GM notation query

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

GM notation query

Postby Balsam Fir » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:45 am

Mythras is the first RPG I've played where hit points/health are tracked per location instead of by the whole. I'm finding it difficult to make notes during fights as to how much damage has gone into what part of the combatants, especially when I have to run lots of enemies at once. I find I'm flipping through pages right and left, and I feel like it's slowing me down and thus slowing down combat encounters.

I realize I may just need more experience with this style of combat, but does anyone have any tips or tricks to manage this at the table?
Balsam Fir

Re: GM notation query

Postby skoll » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:13 pm

I have created a tool - the Mythras Encounter Generator at http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/ - where you can define the specifications of your monsters/npcs, and then print them out. You can generally get 6 foes neatly on a sheet of paper, so there ever are one or two sheets to handle.

Note, that you need to register and log in to create your own templates. You can use and print the templates of other users (over 2000 of them) without registering.
Mythras Encounter Generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
skoll

Postby Jefferiot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Balsam Fir wrote:Mythras is the first RPG I've played where hit points/health are tracked per location instead of by the whole. I'm finding it difficult to make notes during fights as to how much damage has gone into what part of the combatants, especially when I have to run lots of enemies at once. I find I'm flipping through pages right and left, and I feel like it's slowing me down and thus slowing down combat encounters.

I realize I may just need more experience with this style of combat, but does anyone have any tips or tricks to manage this at the table?

g1=1.1RL2b1, 1.1LL1s, 1.3AB4if3U7

The above note means that g1 is goblin 1. He received two of his wounds on round 1, turn 1 and his last wound on round 1, turn 3. Goblin 1 has 2 points of damage that got through his parry and his armor on his right leg and he's been bleeding out since melee round 1. He has 1 point of damage on his left leg, which has stunned him for 1 turn. He has 4 points of damage on his abdomen from an enemy putting in an impaling weapon and another 3 damage from someone taking it out again without the successful use of the first aid skill. While he was still impaled, he was having a formidable go of his skill rolls and after the weapon was withdrawn and he failed his endurance so he was unconscious for 7 minutes.

You can put that in the Notes for this Combat at the the bottom of a copy of the Combat Tracking Sheet in RuneQuest 6 on page 446 or you can put it in the Wounds and Status row for goblin 1 in the grid above it without the g1=, if you still have room in that little box. And, you might as well write something like OUT 7 MIN across his next Action Points Spent boxes as a flag to you he isn't responsive.

In the Strike Rank box there is enough room to enter the armor points on the locations. HD5,2. This means he has 5 point armor on his head and 2 points everywhere else.

In the Action Points Spent boxes, you don't have to cross through them or shade them out. Instead, you could enter an a for attack, a p for parry, a d for dither, a ^ for regain footing, an r for ready weapon, and so on.

If you're clever with the notes, you can even have a permanent record of every battle, without many gaps. For example, the action points column has enough space to write "sp1.2, sh1.1, sw2.2, meaning he was using a spear since round 1, a shield since round 1, and a sword since round 2. The spear and the sword allowed his normal action points of 2 and the shield added an extra action point for parrying, because he's a Classic Fantasy supplement Fighter class with the shield weapon specialization. You don't not need all that information, though, if you don't need a permanent record of the battle and are not using the Classic Fantasy supplement.

You can encode any of the different notes in the Notes for this Combat box with the g1= in different geometric shapes (square, circle, triangle) to show whether the note is about changes in wounds and general status, changes in armor and initiative penalty, changes in weapons and action points, or changes in engagement and location. You won't need some of this, either, of course, if you don't need a permanent record of every battle you run.

I hope some of that helps.
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby Bilharzia » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Balsam Fir wrote:Mythras is the first RPG I've played where hit points/health are tracked per location instead of by the whole. I'm finding it difficult to make notes during fights as to how much damage has gone into what part of the combatants, especially when I have to run lots of enemies at once. I find I'm flipping through pages right and left, and I feel like it's slowing me down and thus slowing down combat encounters.

If I'm using paper & pen I just write down the armour & hit points something like:

______3/6
3/5___3/8___3/5
3/6___3/7___3/6

And that's it. Tracking points is definitely slower than simply a big hit point pool, but that's partly the point of the game, along with Special Effects, variable armour, action points, etc.
Bilharzia

Postby Dan True » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:27 am

First of all, if you're using many enemes, consider having most be Rabble or Underlings, meaning you don't have to track as much.

For the rest, I have a sheet of paper and then simply write down what their current HP is on a location if it is wounded. So if NPC #4 recieves 6 damage to his right arm, which has 5HP and 3 AP I quickly jot down 'RA 2' to signify he has 2 HP left in his right arm. It doesn't take me long. I also jot down if he's fatigued etc. next to it.

If I make a mistake, I wing it and keep the fight going. Loosing the tension of the fight is in my eyes worse than an enemy needing an extra hit because I forgot something. If nothing else, the players will remind me.

Most of the management in combat I've delegated to one of my players. I only keep notes of what is unknown to the players (e.g. the HP left), but initiative, who's bleeding, who's prone etc. is handled by a player / tokens in the combat map. This saves me brain power to utilize the NPCs more intelligently.

- Dan
Dan True

Postby nDervish » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:52 am

Dan True wrote:For the rest, I have a sheet of paper and then simply write down what their current HP is on a location if it is wounded. So if NPC #4 recieves 6 damage to his right arm, which has 5HP and 3 AP I quickly jot down 'RA 2' to signify he has 2 HP left in his right arm. It doesn't take me long. I also jot down if he's fatigued etc. next to it.

I do similarly, but I note total HP rather than remaining, with slashes for damage taken until it hits 0, then slash back the other way (making it a cross) below zero. So, e.g., if Dan's NPC #4 takes another 3 damage to the same arm, I would have it recorded as "RA 5 - X\\\\".
nDervish

Return to General Gaming & Discussion