Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythras on Hyboria sample cult

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Mythras on Hyboria sample cult

Postby parejf63 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 pm

In case you have not noticed, I am NOT a professional writer.. But I have imagination and creativity on my side..

I love Mythras, and I have always thought it was the perfect game to run a Conan Campaign. I am allowing all magic, with no special rules. But I am making up the rules on Lotus. Still in the works.

Here is a sample cult MITRA

Let me know what you think...

MITRA

Note: Mitra is a universal god worshiped in many countries. However, I Aquilonia, he is the only God that is openly worshiped. Though King Conan has declared all religions are welcome in the land, the Priests of Mitra have not adhered to this ruling.
In Aquilonia, you may find any number of gods being worshiped, but they have no set temples, only secret shrines hidden throughout the lands.

Mitra is the God of Light, Lord of the Hyborians. He is worshiped in Aquilonia, Argos, Corinthia, Nemedia, Ophar, and Zingara. He is a benevolent God, without form and all pervasive. He is commonly portrayed as a tall, older man, with wide-set, piercing eyes, curly hair, and a beard. He accepts no living sacrifices, although extensive tithes and services can be foreboding. His church is one of the wealthiest in the world.
SYMBOLS & DRESS: Priests wear white knee-high robes with a hood or cowl, covering their entire face if needed. Initiates have no attire specified, but they must wear the holy symbol at all times. Acolytes wear white full length robes with no hood. Priest carry a crooked staff. They must also have a dagger at all times. The holy symbol of Mira is either a set of twin boys or white columns, as this represents the breaking out of mortality into the heavenly realm, as well as the brotherhood of the cult.
HOLY DAYS: The first day of each week (Sunday), the 12th of Zan (Mitra's Ascension), The 14th of Yuluk (Honesty Day) The 30th of Grigglenov (Thanksgiving) Ailem 19th (The Birth of Mitra) NOTE each nation may have more holy days.
TEMPLES & SHRINES: Shrines are lowly places, often found in abandoned caves and in personal homes and businesses. Temples are small structures, usually with domed roof and always made of white stone. For the wealth of the cult, they are modest places with barely any furnishings, over what is needed to support it staff and congregation. The tops of the walls are painted in gold depicting scenes from the life of Mitra. A large marble statue always adorns the center hall of worship.
MEMBERSHIP:
Lay Member: Standard. Although anyone may join the cult at Laymen status, only those who have never practiced sorcery may advance further.
Initiate: Standard.
Acolyte: Standard. Since Acolytes start to receive more responsibility in the cult, they are held to the vow of celibacy.
Priest: Standard. They must be celebrate and drug & alcohol free.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES Each cultist is called to a virtuous life. It is their obligation to follow the tenants of the faith. These include: truthfulness, trustworthiness, and honor. Telling a lie and betraying a friend are mortal sins. In addition, they can never perform sorcery, trusting only in Mitra and his faith. One of the major tenants of the cult is defending any followers from any sorcery, especially that which cast by Set and his dark minions.
[u]Skills Taught: Customs, Influence, Native Tongue, Courtesy, Devotion, Exhort, Lore (Mitra), Language (Own), Meditation
Folk Magic:[/u] Avert, Babble, Befuddle, Fanaticism, Glamor, Heal, Light, Protection, Translate
Miracles: Dismiss Magic (I), Enthrall (I), Soul Sight (I) Consecrate (A), Exorcism (A), Mindlink (A) Sunspear (A) Spirit Block (A) Excommunication (P) Pacify (P)
GIFTS Polyglot, Sanctuary
Last edited by parejf63 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parejf63

Re: Mythras on Hyboria sample cult

Postby parejf63 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:03 pm

THESE ARE ONLY A SAMPLE. I have not finalized it.

These are the cults I will be doing, as they are perhaps the most commonly worshipped.

PLUS SET AND MITRA OF COURSE..
Asura -- reincarnation, time, illusion
Bori -- War
Bel – Thieves
Crom -- Cimmeria Not really worshipped
Derkata -- Death
Derkato -- Fertility
Ibis – Knowledge, sorcery
Hunuman -- Beasts, Illusion
Jebal – Sag Fear, Darkness
Adnonis -- Nature
Anu -- The sky, weather
Ishtar – battle, fertility
Pteor -- God of cities
Yog -- Deserts, empty places darkness
Zath -- the spider god

SET:
Set is the serpent god of Stygia, where his priests rule the land with iron fists. He is the immortal enemy of Mirta and the Hyborian Kingdoms, in general. He is worshiped by dark sorcerers all over the world. His sacrifices and religion are both bloody and evil. Human sacrifice is common, as is ****, pillage, and massacres. Set has no tolerance for kindness, forgiving, and peace. He demands deception, deceit, and bloodshed through sacrifice and battle.
The priesthood holds absolute power within the cult and within Stygia, failure to obey or acknowledge a priest of Set means death.
SYMBOLS & DRESS: The universal symbol of set is a coiled serpent on a crooked staff (symbolizing his hatred for Mitra and the world). Priests wear black, blood stained robes for services. Rank is noted by the hair on the head. Initiates have their hair shaved from the middle of the head. They have no hair on the sides of their heads (even women), Acolytes have a single pony tail coming from the middle of their head. Priests are bald.
HOLY DAYS: Set has no special Holy Days. The fist day of the week and the month are considered holy to Set.
TEMPLES & SHRINES: Set rules Stygia, there are no set temples for him. Large Sanctuaries are set up in cities, within other buildings. Even a few pyramids have been erected to honor set, and these are concidered sacred temples. Only the priest can enter these structures. Shrines are common place, and are often void of all but necessities. They can be caves, rooms, or entire buildings. In each, there is a place for sacrifice, which is often guarded by temple soldiers.
MEMBERSHIP:
Lay Member: Standard. A native of Styigia is automatically an innitiate.
Initiate: Standard. Initiates must perform on sacrifice in front of a priest of a family member, to show their devtion to Set and the cult.
Acolyte: Standard. Acolytes are appointed by a priest, they are never offered this, it is assigned to them and cannot be denied, or death is imminent. Candidates often display strong sorcerers skills.
Priest: Standard. Each Priest is selected by the Arch Priest of his district. Again, to say “no” is instant death.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES Above all else, Priests run Stygia, almost all aspects of it. Priests must drink the living blood of a sacrifice once a week. They must seek to destroy a Priest of Mitra, but this is done on their own terms, and can take years to accomplish. Initiates must make a sacrifice once a month. Acolytes once a week. Cultists do their best to intefere with other countries politics and info structure. They are a cult of evil, disruption, and control, and chaos.
Cultists are not stupid, they are conniving, planning, and deceptive in their practices. If they are charged with an assassination, these are planned well, sometimes requiring intermingling with the planned target for a long time. Cultists often go unnoticed in other lands.
GIFTS: Familiar (Snake) Summon (Cultists)
Skills Taught: Conceal, Deceit, Influence, Insight, Folk Magic, Invocation.
Folk Magic: Befuddle, Demoralize, Disruption, Curse, Incognito, MindSpeach
Sorcery: Animate (Darkness), Attract (Snakes), Cast Back, Dominate (Human), Enslave (Human), Evoke, Palsy
Last edited by parejf63 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parejf63

Postby Matt_E » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:04 pm

So, is the cult of Set a cult of control, or one of disruption and chaos? ;-) Put another way, is this a government of anarchists?

Overall that looks good. We were *just talking* about doing Conan/Hyboria in Mythras, in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1992

We also talked about the new Conan RPG in a thread about a year ago, when the rules preview came out, and there have been lots of other mentions here and there.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby parejf63 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Matt_E wrote:So, is the cult of Set a cult of control, or one of disruption and chaos? ;-) Put another way, is this a government of anarchists?

Overall that looks good. We were *just talking* about doing Conan/Hyboria in Mythras, in another thread:

We also talked about the new Conan RPG in a thread about a year ago, when the rules preview came out, and there have been lots of other mentions here and there.

Thanks I will look at that. It is hard to really know what the gods portrayed in the stories, so there are some areas we have to delve into ourselves.

To me, Set represent Chaos, destruction, evil, deception, deceit, and bloodshed through sacrifice and battle. At least this is how I see it. Chaos and disruption can go into politics also, I have seen references where they wanted world domination.
parejf63

Postby parejf63 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:51 pm

I am currently working on Asura now.
His cult will practice Thiest and Sorcery.
parejf63

Postby dreamer_prophet » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:51 pm

parejf63 wrote:
Matt_E wrote:So, is the cult of Set a cult of control, or one of disruption and chaos? ;-) Put another way, is this a government of anarchists?

Thanks I will look at that. It is hard to really know what the gods portrayed in the stories, so there are some areas we have to delve into ourselves.

To me, Set represent Chaos, destruction, evil, deception, deceit, and bloodshed through sacrifice and battle. At least this is how I see it. Chaos and disruption can go into politics also, I have seen references where they wanted world domination.

It can be both: an authoritarian theocracy propitiating a malevolent and predatory god with blood sacrifice in order to sustain its own prestiege and ensure the stability of the state.
dreamer_prophet

Return to General Gaming & Discussion