Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

New to M-Space, questions on ranged combat

Discussions on the M-Space setting and other publications by FrostByte Books.

New to M-Space, questions on ranged combat

Postby Opiyel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:07 am

I recently purchased M-Space and I really like the looks of it. Spent today with some friends and my girlfriend making up characters for a game I'll run in the future. However, we had some questions about the rules for ranged combat.

1. It mentioned that ranged weapons have force stats for parrying, but I didn't see any in the listed guns in equipment. What would the force be for the different lasers and such?

2. So in one area, it mentioned that you can use your combat style for parrying any attack, but later on under Ranged Combat, it says that you have to use Evade for dodging ranged attacks. We are unsure which one it is to use.

Thanks again for any help. I definitely like the look of the game so far and I'm looking forward to running it soon!
Opiyel

Re: New to M-Space, questions on ranged combat

Postby nDervish » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:49 am

Opiyel wrote:1. It mentioned that ranged weapons have force stats for parrying, but I didn't see any in the listed guns in equipment. What would the force be for the different lasers and such?

2. So in one area, it mentioned that you can use your combat style for parrying any attack, but later on under Ranged Combat, it says that you have to use Evade for dodging ranged attacks. We are unsure which one it is to use.

Both of those basically come down to "you can't react fast enough to parry a bullet or a laser beam". Personally, I'd allow parrying thrown weapons, but other ranged attacks definitely can't be.

Be that as it may, though, I was very disappointed by the decision to omit Force from high-tech ranged weapons. Even if they can't be actively parried, Force is still relevant if the bullet or beam hits a passively warded location.
nDervish

Postby Clarence Redd » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:21 am

Good to hear you enjoy the game so far Opiyel. About your questions:

1. In Mythras Imperative energy weapons do not have a force value. In the (probably rare) cases you want to use shields against these weapons, assign Armor Points to the shield and reduce damage as for armor.

2. Sorry for the confusion. In the real world, both parrying and evading energy weapons is of course impossible. In "mythic sci-fi" on the other hand, evading them is a common trope. So, the rules allow evade. (How can this be explained? Well, non-heroes tend to be sloppy shooters and they often fire without taking any aim. One shot is perhaps even three shots, each one a bit closer to the actual target - when the first near-hit strikes, the hero ducks/evades to avoid the next beam). To parry, you will need psionics though, as it requires even more precision/speed than just getting out of the way.

I hope that helps. Let me know how your game develops!
Clarence Redd

Postby Opiyel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:44 am

Clarence Redd wrote:Good to hear you enjoy the game so far Opiyel. About your questions:

1. In Mythras Imperative energy weapons do not have a force value. In the (probably rare) cases you want to use shields against these weapons, assign Armor Points to the shield and reduce damage as for armor.

2. Sorry for the confusion. In the real world, both parrying and evading energy weapons is of course impossible. In "mythic sci-fi" on the other hand, evading them is a common trope. So, the rules allow evade. (How can this be explained? Well, non-heroes tend to be sloppy shooters and they often fire without taking any aim. One shot is perhaps even three shots, each one a bit closer to the actual target - when the first near-hit strikes, the hero ducks/evades to avoid the next beam). To parry, you will need psionics though, as it requires even more precision/speed than just getting out of the way.

I hope that helps. Let me know how your game develops!

Thanks for the help. For the second question, I re-read the combat section. Turns out I misread it and you can only parry melee weapons. No problems there. :)

Looking at the equipment and combat again though and I have two more questions.

1. How much ammo does each weapon have? It gives a firing rate and the amount of rounds to reload, but nothing about how much each magazine/energy cell has.

2. For the Take Cover move, does that completely negate an incoming ranged attack or does it simply make the incoming ranged attack Hard/Formidable?

Sorry again for all the questions. It's my first time GMing a d100 system so I'm just making sure I have everything smooth for Sunday's game
Opiyel

Postby Clarence Redd » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:09 pm

No problem : )

1. Short answer: Ammo is not tracked in M-SPACE. Longer discussion on BRP Central (and a simple abstract system you can try):
http://basicroleplaying.org/topic/5238- ... ment-84530

2. Take Cover means the character is fully behind an object. But to be able to fire from that position, the character must expose part of the body (or use Sneak Peek to assess situation without becoming a target).

Good luck with the GMing! Keep asking if you feel uncertain about anything.
Clarence Redd

Return to M-Space (FrostByte Books)