Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Who else loves Star Wars and Mythras?

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Re: Who else loves Star Wars and Mythras?

Postby Icefield » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:36 pm

Clarence Redd wrote:Yes, using a percentage value should simplify things. And the Passion mechanics are a very neat system. Having the dark side/light side Passions mutually exclusive also sounds like good idea. Hmm, a Passion slider?

That almost sounds erotic lol. But yeah I agree. The Passion mechanic is one of the coolest things in Mythras that I routinely mess up. I think maybe because I learned and used aspects in Fate before learning about RQ6, I tend to screw up on Passions buy looking at them wrong, or at least in not doing a good job explaining it to players.

Could you guys give me some suggestions for Passions for Star Wars characters? Just general stuff that all types of characters might have, but not "just Hates the Empire," "Believes in the Empire"

I created a system of progression by career (instead of by cult) for my house rules called Masteries, and some of those passions would help me steer players the right way in those archetypes.
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Postby Icefield » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Icefield wrote:
Clarence Redd wrote:Yes, using a percentage value should simplify things. And the Passion mechanics are a very neat system. Having the dark side/light side Passions mutually exclusive also sounds like good idea. Hmm, a Passion slider?

That almost sounds erotic lol. But yeah I agree. The Passion mechanic is one of the coolest things in Mythras that I routinely mess up. I think maybe because I learned and used aspects in Fate before learning about RQ6, I tend to screw up on Passions buy looking at them wrong, or at least in not doing a good job explaining it to players.

Could you guys give me some suggestions for Passions for Star Wars characters? Just general stuff that all types of characters might have, but not "just Hates the Empire," "Believes in the Empire"

I created a system of progression by career (instead of by cult) for my house rules called Masteries, and some of those passions would help me steer players the right way in fleshing out those archetypes.
Icefield

Postby Matt_E » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Icefield wrote:Could you guys give me some suggestions for Passions for Star Wars characters? Just general stuff that all types of characters might have, but not "just Hates the Empire," "Believes in the Empire"

There is such a list already. :-) See Loz's post in this old thread:

post6347.html?hilit=%20star%20wars#p6347

It's a short but flavorful list. Also, the rest of that thread may interest you.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Icefield » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:18 pm

[quote="Matt_E"][quote="Icefield"]

There is such a list already. :-) See Loz's post in this old thread:

post6347.html?hilit=%20star%20wars#p6347

It's a short but flavorful list. Also, the rest of that thread may interest you.

Oh I even saw that one before! Sorry. Yeah I guess I make them the right way, but I don't use them right I think. I need to look up a thread on that. lol
I think the Star Wars setting can have good answers and bad answers, and some of that is pretty subjective. My take:

Bad answers & questions: Why are some people strong in the force? Midichloriens. Who trained Obi Wan Kenobi? Qui Gonn Jinn even though Ben said it was Yoda. Who is Boba Fett? A clone of Jango Fett who hates jedis cause his **** of a father (who is basically him) had him in the middle of a battle for no good reason. How did the Republic finally fall? Jar Jar Binks. What was Darth Vader like when he was young? an annoying kid/teenager who seemed to be a Mary Sue with bipolar disorder. How many Death Stars are there? Seems to be no end. Why do the Jedi never know the Sith are around? Oh because the dark side has an ability that lets them hide in plain sight until it becomes convenient for the plot that they reveal themselves. Does Yoda fight people or is he more like a wise teacher who is sublime enough to avoid violence almost always? Oh no he walks on a cane until its time for him to become a little green pinwheel firework with a lighsaber.

Good answers & questions: What is pod racing? Something pretty neat. How tough are spaceship hulls? Pretty damn tough, you can use them like toboggans. Han & Leia after episode 6? Didn't stay together.

Came up kind of sort on my positive list, but I love the setting and stories warts and all. I think that Mythras is really great for playing in the setting because as a game system it has a good amount of clunk to give things a solid feel, while still being having mystical DNA. I have had a few Star wars games in the old rules from West End, some in a D20 conversion, I used Mongoose Traveller, I used Fate, and none have come off like the one I am running in Mythras.
Icefield

Postby Icefield » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:30 pm

If I could ask you guys for some feedback on Vehicle Combat Rules. I created 6 range categories and I resolve vehicle combat by Range first then Initiative, so everyone in Dogfight range with each other goes, then everyone in Gunnery range and so on. The ranges act as Weapon Reach does in the regular rules, except that firing across the ranges is ok if the weapon can do it (you just get a cumulative difficulty grade for each range (unless you are using Turbolasers or Missiles). Damage works like it does with characters as well, with vehicles having locations that can take minor, serious, and destroyed(major) damage levels.

Speed rating is the top speed for vehicles, and pilot rolls have to succeed in both being under the skill score and over the speed rating or the craft can go Out of Control. Out of control is not necessarily spinning off into space vader style though and can be basically like having press advantage on you, or getting put in a bad reach category. Space flight in Star Wars is essentially the same as atmospheric flying so I figured that on small ships the extreme speed can overwhelm the minimal artificial gravity and inertial dampeners in turns. The result is that the g forces can affect the pilot's ability to maneuver.

I have tested this with small one on one situations and it seems to work ok but like anything that you test on your own I am sure I am missing something. Anything strike you guys as problematic?
Icefield

Postby Matt_E » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Disclaimer: I have no experience in running this sort of combat. Some thoughts:

* I can see your desire to separate attacks by range, but for laser-based weapons your scheme doesn't make sense, to me. For game purposes, that laser will arrive at a spot 1 m or 10,000 m away in essentially the same time, i.e. practically instantaneously, compared to other combat considerations. No ship has a chance to move after up-close fighting before that laser arrives, and the only targeting concern is line of sight. To the laser beam, the scene is immobile, like a snapshot, as soon as the trigger is pulled. ...Is that what you mean by "firing across the ranges is ok if the weapon can do it"? If you accept that in considering "Reach", then I think you need to accept in considering timing of blows as well.

* I like your Press Advantage analogy for dogfighting. I agree that in the movies (take as canon, I guess) "Space flight in Star Wars is essentially the same as atmospheric flying", but if you're going for realism, then there is no gravity to speak of** and no lift or fluid-dynamical stuff, to help you turn and maneuver. In space, there's only thrust. The vehicle itself needs to apply angled thrusters to help a ship turn left or right. This is never depicted in the films, AFAIK, but it's true, if that's what you're going for. That may not make a difference in play, but it may affect your thinking about how to model all of this.

...Of course, if replicating the SW film feel is the goal, and I think it is, then just don't worry about it. :-)

**Artificial gravity, as bogus as it is :-), would only affect the interior of the ship, no? I think it would not affect the ship's motion through space, though I suppose it would affect the pilot. Then again, even in the absence of gravity, the pilot will be affected by torque and angular momentum in any twisting dogfight.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Icefield » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Matt_E wrote:Disclaimer: I have no experience in running this sort of combat. Some thoughts:

* I can see your desire to separate attacks by range, but for laser-based weapons your scheme doesn't make sense, to me. For game purposes, that laser will arrive at a spot 1 m or 10,000 m away in essentially the same time, i.e. practically instantaneously, compared to other combat considerations. No ship has a chance to move after up-close fighting before that laser arrives, and the only targeting concern is line of sight. To the laser beam, the scene is immobile, like a snapshot, as soon as the trigger is pulled. ...Is that what you mean by "firing across the ranges is ok if the weapon can do it"? If you accept that in considering "Reach", then I think you need to accept in considering timing of blows as well.

* I like your Press Advantage analogy for dogfighting. I agree that in the movies (take as canon, I guess) "Space flight in Star Wars is essentially the same as atmospheric flying", but if you're going for realism, then there is no gravity to speak of** and no lift or fluid-dynamical stuff, to help you turn and maneuver. In space, there's only thrust. The vehicle itself needs to apply angled thrusters to help a ship turn left or right. This is never depicted in the films, AFAIK, but it's true, if that's what you're going for. That may not make a difference in play, but it may affect your thinking about how to model all of this.

...Of course, if replicating the SW film feel is the goal, and I think it is, then just don't worry about it. :-)

**Artificial gravity, as bogus as it is :-), would only affect the interior of the ship, no? I think it would not affect the ship's motion through space, though I suppose it would affect the pilot. Then again, even in the absence of gravity, the pilot will be affected by torque and angular momentum in any twisting dogfight.

Hey thanks Matt, I appreciate the feedback. I should have said right up front that science is out the window lol. Even though the weapons are called "lasers" they actually don't look or fire like lasers would and are instead just "blasters" by another name. I looked up figures for the speeds of blaster fire from several sources (using scale and geometry from the movies) and they are hilariously low velocity weapons. They move so slow that I have to suspend disbelief jut to talk about them. As someone who was in the military and enjoys shooting I think having to use a blaster for long range shooting would be a crotch slapping activity of pure frustration.

In order to try and describe some of the anti-science elements of Star Wars I realized early on that I have to use what one of my friends calls "failed science," or sci-fi fantasy thinking. It is my lot in life to daydream about this stuff, so I sit there and think about:

-That you can hear the ships and blasters in the vacuum of space to me is because star ships are using a pan-species sensory system to allow the crew to use more of their brain and be more efficient like tanks having binocular gun sights.
-That repulsorlift technology and tractor beam technology is used to control attitude, pitch and control for vehicles with incredibly powerful particle engines that can't economically be mounted to point in two or more directions. This results in funky travel arcs that make no sense for space. Add to this limitations on artificial gravity and Inertial dampeners as activated along an axis and you have an excuse as to why ships do not rotate in a direction independent of the original vector. It may be that the preservation of that movement is also due to gyroscopic effect of fusion reactors too and magnetic fields associated with vectoring engine thrust. I can feel my science teacher putting the gun to his head as I type this.

I keep this stuff in my head strictly for the purpose of description, and specifically immersive description of stuff that is mundane to the characters but exotic to the players. In keeping with the feel of Star Wars I don't go into exposition, but sometimes in order to describe something well you have to have the nuances covered. Like a head diplomat, you have to know something of the truth to lie convincingly about the subject.
Icefield

Postby Matt_E » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:23 pm

That's fine, if it's how you want to roll. I judge not. :-)

Like a head diplomat, you have to know something of the truth to lie convincingly about the subject.

Hey, I hear there's an opening in the current US administration... That quote shows you to be already better qualified than the last guy. :-o
Matt_E

Postby Icefield » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:27 am

Matt_E wrote:That's fine, if it's how you want to roll. I judge not. :-)

Like a head diplomat, you have to know something of the truth to lie convincingly about the subject.

Hey, I hear there's an opening in the current US administration... That quote shows you to be already better qualified than the last guy. :-o

lol. I should admit that I stole that line from The Hunt for Red October, and I don't make a practice of using that principle. Thanks for the back and forth here Matt, I appreciate the comments.
Icefield

Previous

Return to General Gaming & Discussion