Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Sand Box Style Mythras?

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Re: Sand Box Style Mythras?

Postby nDervish » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:43 am

Icefield wrote:I think because they are younger than me I am basically appealing to their familiarity with computer games rather than pure tabletop RPG storytelling goodness.

Be aware that telling stories isn't what some people want from RPGs, and that doesn't just mean computer-game-addicted roll-players. Some of us just enjoy playing the role of a person in another world, exploring that world, and experiencing that life without trying to be Big Damn Heroes or worry about dramatic arcs. If your players get into haggling with the cabbage merchant and tracking their inventory so that they can calculate their taxes, it's possible that they're just getting off on living the lives of their characters.

Of course, if running a mundane day-in-the-life campaign isn't something that you enjoy, then perhaps it's time to talk it over with your players and see if you can find out how to make high adventure more appealing to your players.

Icefield wrote:I also always liked how Traveller had random hooks for a patron, and I would not roll until just before the game or sometimes not until they talked to that guy so that I could feel some of the excitement of chance. I recently realized that a major problem with my GMing is that I am too nice. I don't like taking stuff from them or hitting them with their self-imposed doom. In my games all of the decisive action happened in combat where I could externalize the blame to the dice.

I can definitely sympathize. This is basically why I gave up on Amber Diceless RPG after two sessions - I didn't like being in a position where the only way for something bad to ever happen to a PC was if I actively chose for it to happen. I want to be able to blame cruel fate for their misfortunes.

But I think you may have already stumbled onto your solution with the mention of Traveller: Randomize things outside of combat! When they murder the cabbage merchant in cold blood, roll to determine how firmly the witnesses could identify them. Based on that, roll for how long it takes for the authorities to respond. Roll for the strength of that response. Roll for vengeful relatives or members of the cabbagers' guild. Don't just make it an automatic siege of the inn where the PCs reside, give them a chance (even if only a small one!) that they might get away with it... or did they really get away with it? Maybe the authorities are still trying to figure out who to go after. Maybe the authorities are, this minute, on the other side of town, executing the wrong people, and it's all the PCs' fault. Shake some dice and shake things up, so that the players are always guessing - and so that, when it all comes crashing down on their heads, you can say, "It's not my fault. The dice did it!" :twisted:
nDervish

Postby Icefield » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:38 pm

@ nDervish

Yeah you get what I'm saying I think. I imagine for some people seeing me complain that I don't like to turn the screws on the players may seem like I am a mewling turd, but it's just not in my temperament, so I had to find that other solution (randomizing the world). Of course I still decide things, but the point is that I reduced my burden, I didn't rid myself of it wholly. I am one of those people who likes to live the life of the character and I don't necessarily have to be the big hero, but I made the mistake in the past of thinking everyone besides me wanted to be the big hero. In this latest case the happiness of the players and their apparent level of engagement seems to be validating my experiment.

I agree that when they occasionally get away with something because of chance it is good for verisimilitude.
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Postby Matt_E » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:38 pm

nDervish wrote: Shake some dice and shake things up, so that the players are always guessing

Oh yeah. I do this all the time--too much, perhaps.

Icefield wrote: may seem like I am a mewling turd

Youch! Whoever would say that was probably raised by wolves. :-) I think it's a pretty normal social response for humans to avoid being outright cruel to each other... We have diagnoses for those who don't avoid it.

No, I don't hold it against anyone who wants to make the dice the bad guys.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Icefield » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Matt_E wrote:
nDervish wrote: Shake some dice and shake things up, so that the players are always guessing

Oh yeah. I do this all the time--too much, perhaps.

Icefield wrote: may seem like I am a mewling turd

Youch! Whoever would say that was probably raised by wolves. :-) I think it's a pretty normal social response for humans to avoid being outright cruel to each other... We have diagnoses for those who don't avoid it.

No, I don't hold it against anyone who wants to make the dice the bad guys.

Thanks Matt I appreciate that :)
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Previous

Return to General Gaming & Discussion