Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Tracking Cycles, Rounds, Actions, and Pressed Advantage

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Re: Tracking Cycles, Rounds, Actions, and Pressed Advantage

Postby Druss the Axe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:33 am

I've also been looking for a thorough yet concise way of detailing up all the essential combat statistics needed during a fight.

Could someone run the rule over my attempt please and offer suggestions and/or tell me if I've missed anything out?

This is what I have so far, using two brigands as an example (I realise you can use the 'mook' rules for minor npcs but I wanted a format that dealt with all the information accounted for):

So both brigands would have the same STR, CON, SIZ, Skills, Weapons and Gear and AP (or, you could give them different weapons for variation).

Brigand #1 has been stunned for 2 out of 3 rounds, is Prone, has expended 2 of his 3 AP this combat cycle, and has taken 4 damage to his ABDomen.

Brigand #2 is Bleeding, has been disarmed, has used 1 of his 3 AP this combat cycle, and has taken 2 damage to his left leg.

For tracking rounds I'll use a whiteboard or might even buy the Paizo combat tracker magnetic board offering.
Druss the Axe

Postby Icefield » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:32 am

I like your example. It has most of what you need for typical opponents. I think where this stuff gets hairy is when bad guys have magic, special abilities, or other complexities of which to keep track. Where I most often run into problems is when I have 5 characters and they face 8 or 9 enemies, and then a couple of those guys are pressed, someone is bleeding, 3 guys are reloading at different intervals ...
Last edited by Icefield on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Postby Druss the Axe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:35 am

Thanks Icefield
Druss the Axe

Postby Icefield » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:42 am

Druss I forgot to ask, how big is that cell there? Is it a full sheet of paper?
Icefield

Postby Druss the Axe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:32 am

It's this size on an A4

Druss the Axe

Postby Moldof » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:01 am

Icefield wrote:So the white board seems popular for states it seems. AP is tokens or stones. Anyone have a chart or other system for tracking Cycles Turns and Rounds?

Here's what I do that I've found very useful. For AP I did tokens like most people. NPC tokens are placed under their names, which I've written in front of me on our playmat. For initiative, I cut up a 3x5 card into strips. I fold those in half and hand them out to the players at the beginning of the game for my players to write their PC's name on the top of both sides and their initiative modifier under their name on one side. Then they hang on to them until I call for initiative, at which point they write their initiative total under the strike rank modifier. Then I just put them in order in front of me. It makes adjusting initiative, it and when it's necessary, really easy and everyone can see it.

Here's a pic of what it looks like in action:

Moldof

Postby Druss the Axe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:57 pm

I'm using this for tracking almost everything now

Paizo Combat Pad
Druss the Axe

Postby Icefield » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Druss the Axe wrote:I'm using this for tracking almost everything now

Paizo Combat Pad

That's pretty neat. I used to have something like that made with a sheet metal square with a card stock front and counters with magnets. I haven't used anything magnetic in a long time because I'm paranoid I will mess up my electronics, but that thing looks pretty handy.
Icefield

Postby chlodoweg » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Icefield wrote:
Druss the Axe wrote:I'm using this for tracking almost everything now

Paizo Combat Pad

That's pretty neat. I used to have something like that made with a sheet metal square with a card stock front and counters with magnets. I haven't used anything magnetic in a long time because I'm paranoid I will mess up my electronics, but that thing looks pretty handy.

We use a board rather like that. One of the players runs the board tracking everyone's initiative and AP but other details the GM keeps on notes.
chlodoweg

Postby Icefield » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:55 pm

That's a cool idea, subbing it out like that to reduce load. I find that if I ask a player to help I have to still keep it all straight or the action starts to feel disconnected. But I still like this idea and I haven't tried it lately.
Icefield

Previous

Return to General Gaming & Discussion