Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Creating a setting for a Myhtras Campaign(New GM)

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Creating a setting for a Myhtras Campaign(New GM)

Postby xChapx » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello, i have been reading the rules of Mythras/Runequest and i have been wanting to start a new campaign, at first i wanted to use an existing setting but i always found difficult to find one that i like and that is easy to start with, so i decided in creating my own setting, but in the rules there are Cultures and Cults, should i create all the cultures and cults available for my players?

In general, what steps do you take to create a campaign?
xChapx

Re: Creating a setting for a Myhtras Campaign(New GM)

Postby raleel » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:08 am

well, one thing I learned, but still struggle with actually doing is containing my scope a bit. I don't need to create everything. I just need to create everything the players will interact with.

Thus, Cults and Cultures need to be created, but it helps to work with the player so that their cult or culture is represented. I don't create lots more. I might create a few more just because i have some ideas of my own on that front.

I borrow and steal combat styles and the like pretty freely. There are better folks that me that have already done a bunch of work. There is a combat style creation document somewhere on the board that a bunch of folks are fond of.
raleel

Postby Bilharzia » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:18 am

I would agree with Raleel, keep it small and local, if your players are up for it ask them to contribute to the world building. There are systems to help with this if you wanted to use them, like "Over The Wall" where you can build a small setting together with the player group.

I like this video "Damn good d&d" by Clint Krause. It's very dnd (no kidding) but his advice is useful and concise and will get you started.
https://youtu.be/l6d5NvbMvT4

His principles include
1. Choose your rules
2. Choose a setting - here think of a genre rather than defining the whole world. Eg. Is it more like Conan or Game of Thrones?
3. Create your sandbox - a small region of your world
3a. Make a town/village - a location of civilisation (Npcs , rumours/plot hooks, businesses, shops, bounties )
3b. two or three dungeons - adventure locations - your own or off the shelf, you could start with "Sariniya's Curse" and adapt it for your region. Then plunder "Book of Quests" for more.
3c. An encounter table for the region, use http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/ when you need to generate stats.

And that's it...check out the video.
Bilharzia

Postby Bilharzia » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:51 pm

I meant "Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures"
http://www.flatlandgames.com/btw/
G+ Group: https://plus.google.com/communities/114 ... 2329587139

Although it's a D&D style game, you can use the campaign and character generation systems in just about any game.
Bilharzia

Postby Gloranphile » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:00 am

Bilharzia wrote:/SNIP you can use the campaign and character generation systems in just about any game.

Out of curiosity, what about the char gen system in this do you like? I'm always looking for better ways to link my characters as a GM.
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Postby soltakss » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:07 am

xChapx wrote:Hello, i have been reading the rules of Mythras/Runequest and i have been wanting to start a new campaign, at first i wanted to use an existing setting but i always found difficult to find one that i like and that is easy to start with, so i decided in creating my own setting, but in the rules there are Cultures and Cults, should i create all the cultures and cults available for my players?

I wouldn't.

Keep Cultures limited to one or two. If you can use the ones in Mythras then great, if not then develop a couple for the players. Make one the dominant culture and another a related culture. Don't have enemy cultures available for PCs at the start of the game, unless you want to spend ages reconciling the PCs.

As for cults, again I'd keep them limited. Work out how many major cults you want in the game and give them one line of description and spells and skills. If PCs join the cults then flesh them out a bit as and when needed. Reskinning cults from Glorantha is not a bad idea, as there is a lot on information and you can pinch the spells and skills quite easily. Otherwise, set a few templates, as in RQ3 (Hunter, Warrior, Healer, Storm, Sky, darkness and so on) and mix and match them depending on what kind of cults you need in the future.

xChapx wrote:In general, what steps do you take to create a campaign?

Sketch out 2 Cultures and 5-6 Cults, decide which professions you want in the setting.

So you want inhumans? If so, which ones and how do they interact, just a sentence on each.

Decide what tensions are in the setting - Religious (Conflict between cults), Ethnic (conflicts between peoples), Species (Conflicts between races).

Decide what the setting is - A city, a wilderness, a village on the edge of a forest, a great marshland that stretches forever.

Sketch out a few plotlines that take a number of sessions to complete.

Anything else can be winged or ad-libbed. After a few sessions, the players and PCs will be driving what they want to do, so use them to write scenarios and plotlines.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby Bilharzia » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Gloranphile wrote:
Bilharzia wrote:/SNIP you can use the campaign and character generation systems in just about any game.

Out of curiosity, what about the char gen system in this do you like? I'm always looking for better ways to link my characters as a GM.

It uses "Playbooks" for characters, after you have chosen an archetype you look at the relevant play book and roll or choose an event which shapes your character, for example,

Dwarven Rune caster,
What is the History of your clan?
1d12
2. One of your forefathers slew a giant wyrm which had long troubled your people. +2 INT +1 STR +1 DEX Skill: Boasting

And then 6 other questions building your character. If you wanted to use it for Mythras you could either convert all the skill and attribute bonuses or just take the story elements and work them in background events and Passions. I think Mark Fitz has used them in some of his play accounts here on the forum.

There are quite a few Playbooks you can download free
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... land-Games
Bilharzia

Postby Bilharzia » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Oh on linking characters together, some of the questions would be for example

1d6
What was your first hassle amongst the big people?

6. You found a hidden cave and delved too deep, waking a hidden ancient spirit. The friend to your right helped you flee after banishing the creature of darkness, and gains +1 CON

Edit: the character setup itself reminded me a bit of the King of Dragon Pass game with the clan generation. I suppose it's just another lifepath style generation system along the lines of Traveller.
Bilharzia

Postby Matt_E » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:33 pm

raleel wrote:well, one thing I learned, but still struggle with actually doing is containing my scope a bit. I don't need to create everything. I just need to create everything the players will interact with.

This is good, important advice. Work small initially. Take a few notes if you have ideas for bigger things, but resist the temptation to create a fully detailed world or land, I strongly suggest. Probably the first few sessions of play will suggest fun things that you did not have in mind at all...but your players now do. As your players have led you to them, they are preselected winners; use them. Keeping players interested is one of the great challenges of GMing; make it as easy on yourself as possible.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby umbraldragon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:31 am

I don't know if you mean a whole new, completely fabricated setting. I am working on a setting created from whole cloth, so to speak. I have researched a bit on how to do this, so I would suggest understanding what your needs are in terms of creating a new setting. If it's just a few differences than an already existing one, then maybe you only need to modify that one. I found that I liked Glorantha a whole lot, but since I didn't find it first, before I found D&D, I found it overwhelming. There is a ton of material you can choose from there.

So, I felt the need to spend a year or so building my own medieval fantasy setting. It was playable in about 6 weeks, but I don't really want to unleash it on my players yet. Here's my approach.

1. As above, keep everything simple. Think in broad strokes. The details will come later.
2. Ask questions
a. How did the world come to exist? There's your pantheon and possibly sets the shape of the continents, seas, weather, etc.
b. What races existed in the beginning? What races exist now? This sets the player races available.
c. What has happened between then and now? I added "the expansion of civilization in a nutshell and a few wars, then one big nasty one." to an index card. I realize that may be too broad for some, but it was enough for me to build on later. Now, civilizations are experiencing a new dawn and coming out of their hiding holes to start rebuilding.

In my case this was enough to start creating a region with a few towns, adding some one paragraph descriptors and it is quite playable. I did not change the Cultural backgrounds for humans, I used the demi-human backgrounds from Classic Fantasy, and for the saurians, Reptilians of Legend.

The premise is that humans and demi humans are at a new dawn in time. War and Magic destroyed the previous world. They've been rebuilding for about 60 to 100 years, depending on the region. Some groups are still hiding in caves or old ruins so there is opportunity there for some story building. Lots of vile beasts roam the wild areas of the world, some small pockets being entirely run by evil intelligences left over from the wars.

I combined elements from other games I like into this one and besides humans, allow for elves, half elves, savage halflings, dwarves, hobgoblins and saurians (modified of course). Hobgoblins are the dominant race.

Even though we could start playing in the setting, I wanted to work on the pantheon a little more before creating the dominant cults of the region; and put together a few outlines for some adventures I was thinking of.

I purposely put all of this stuff down on index cards so I wouldn't get bogged down with details. Keep in mind this is just what works for me. It may not work for you. I've been a GM since the 80's and sadly only came into contact with Mythras/Runequest6 only a few years ago. Since then, this is my game of choice. I really, really, like Mythras. Anyhow, happy gaming! :ugeek:
Certain mystes aver that the real world has been constructed by the human mind, since our ways are governed by the artificial categories into which we place essentially undifferentiated things, things weaker than our words for them.
- Gene Wolfe
umbraldragon

Return to General Gaming & Discussion