Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

1 player games?

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

1 player games?

Postby Dan True » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:03 am

Hi.

I've been thinking about introducing my fiancée to roleplaying games at some point, through a personal game. Probably either something Dan Brown-ish modern or something-something mythical fantasy.
We have a 10 month old son, so the game would probably consist of fairly short sessions. Something we can quickly pick up and put down again an evening over a glass of wine.

Google hasn't turned up much, but this forum has people who've been gaming longer than I've been alive, so I was wondering if anyone here had any tips & tricks to running a game for only one player?

- Dan
Dan True

Re: 1 player games?

Postby nclarke » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:20 am

You might want to take a look at Chaosium's Alone against series of scenarios and also to the brand new Cthulhu Confidential from Pelgrane as that has a lot of specific advice for running a one-on-one game.
nclarke

Postby raleel » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:12 am

This question comes up rather regularly on forum.rpg.net. You might try checking over there in the open tabletop forum.

There was one that came out of Kickstarter a while back that was functionally two Japanese warriors doing competitive haiku. I forget the name though.

A Gumshoe system one might work. It normally has all of the investigative abilities spread between multiple players but no reason that I can think of where they can't be in one player.

Edit: check out https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?77 ... -Solo-Play or google "one on one tabletop rpg".

Edit 2: http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php ... one-2-one/ I knew there had to be something here. PDF available.
raleel

Postby Matt_E » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Yes, Dan, Mythras works well with one-on-one play. I have commented on this, a long time ago. I don't know that there's a particular trick to running such a game. You'll probably find it easier than handling a crowd, though the dynamic is different--nicer in some ways, not as cool as a group in others.

If you can wait months, I have a campaign designed for a single, new player that I intend to publish, but I have to get it into shape. You may not want to wait...but, eventually, it will be available. :-)
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Dan True » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:41 am

nclarke wrote:You might want to take a look at Chaosium's Alone against series of scenarios and also to the brand new Cthulhu Confidential from Pelgrane as that has a lot of specific advice for running a one-on-one game.

Thanks. I will take a look! Might be suited for the Dan Brown-ish avenue.

raleel wrote:This question comes up rather regularly on forum.rpg.net. You might try checking over there in the open tabletop forum.

There was one that came out of Kickstarter a while back that was functionally two Japanese warriors doing competitive haiku. I forget the name though.

A Gumshoe system one might work. It normally has all of the investigative abilities spread between multiple players but no reason that I can think of where they can't be in one player.

Edit: check out https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?77 ... -Solo-Play or google "one on one tabletop rpg".

Edit 2: http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php ... one-2-one/ I knew there had to be something here. PDF available.

Thanks. I don't often hang on forum.rpg.net, but will check it out. My google-fu may have been insufficient.

I plan on using Mythras regardless, and I don't think anything as exotic as making haiku will go well as a starter :) Gumshoe may have some good advice.

Matt_E wrote:Yes, Dan, Mythras works well with one-on-one play. I have commented on this, a long time ago. I don't know that there's a particular trick to running such a game. You'll probably find it easier than handling a crowd, though the dynamic is different--nicer in some ways, not as cool as a group in others.

If you can wait months, I have a campaign designed for a single, new player that I intend to publish, but I have to get it into shape. You may not want to wait...but, eventually, it will be available. :-)

I may wait that long anyway, so I will look forward to it. It sounds intriguing :)

- Dan
Dan True

Postby Matt_E » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Aw, thanks. Since it's for the young/new, it features a lot of classic tropes, though hopefully I bring something fresh to the telling. One of its chief themes is loyalty. It was fun to play, anyhow.

Since I know there is some interest, this project just moved up a bit in the queue. :-)
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Return to General Gaming & Discussion