Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Marriage and divorce on Mythic Britain

For information on Design Mechanism's rules and supplements

Marriage and divorce on Mythic Britain

Postby xalabin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:15 pm

Hello.

Can celts break a previous marriage?
And saxons?

If yes, how?

Thanks!
xalabin

Re: Marriage and divorce on Mythic Britain

Postby xalabin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Reading about it, Cartismandua divorced her husband on 69 AD. http://web.archive.org/web/201401090232 ... /habcg.htm

Can i suppose that pagans can divorce, maybe returning the dowry if it is and the christians can not?

Thanks for all.
xalabin

Postby loz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:47 pm

xalabin wrote:Reading about it, Cartismandua divorced her husband on 69 AD. http://web.archive.org/web/201401090232 ... /habcg.htm

Can i suppose that pagans can divorce, maybe returning the dowry if it is and the christians can not?

Thanks for all.

You can suppose precisely what you want - it's your campaign, and I don't think the history is especially rigid.

My personal guess is that a Lord, druid or Bishop could dissolve a marriage if they so chose. A dowry or bride price would need to be returned, and depending on the circumstances, there might be some dishonour accrued. But otherwise, it's down to you.
loz

Postby xalabin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:11 am

Thanks.
xalabin

Postby pachristian » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Circa AD 500, marriage in European countries was a civil union, not a religious one. I know Augustine recommended Church blessing on marriage, but it did not become a sacrament until the 600's (I believe). So for Christians and Pagans alike, ending a marriage would be done through the civil authorities, returning the dowry, and pledging to not have a blood-feud.
pachristian

Return to Products and Releases