Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

ETA for Mythras in our local hobby stores?

ETA for Mythras in our local hobby stores?

Postby pachristian » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Please?
I've seen Classic Fantasy in one of the better stores in Portland, Oregon, but neither Mythras nor Classic Fantasy in my local area.
pachristian

Re: ETA for Mythras in our local hobby stores?

Postby nclarke » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:22 pm

It's going to depend on those stores ordering from distribution and I suspect that outside the Paizo and Hasbro stuff no store orders product without some evidence of demand.

Have you been in your local stores asking for Mythras or TDM material?
nclarke

Postby loz » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:17 pm

We distribute through Alliance, the largest distributor in the US.

They've placed large orders for both Classic Fantasy and Mythras, but of course, we have no way of knowing which FLGSes will actually place orders from the distributor. Tell your local store you want to buy our books. Get your players and GMs to do the same. Show there's some demand. Unless the stores themselves order (and we do place notices of all our books in Alliance's Game Trade magazine, and provide flyers for advance distribution, 3 months ahead of publication), then we have little control over the supply.

And if a store doesn't use Alliance, tell them to contact us directly. We're very happy to sell to retailers as long as it doesn't contravene our agreements with Alliance.
loz

Postby pachristian » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:09 pm

I have talked to the three biggest game stores in the Bay Area. All of them use Alliance. None have Mythras or Classic Fantasy in stock. One still has a copy of RQ6, and another still has Korantia. Two of the three said they could order it. One did, and has not delivered after four weeks. The third, run by an old friend, said that trying to get it by special ordering was a crapshoot, and advised me to buy a copy from you directly.

You'll get my order within the hour.
pachristian

Postby loz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:34 pm

pachristian wrote:I have talked to the three biggest game stores in the Bay Area. All of them use Alliance. None have Mythras or Classic Fantasy in stock. One still has a copy of RQ6, and another still has Korantia. Two of the three said they could order it. One did, and has not delivered after four weeks. The third, run by an old friend, said that trying to get it by special ordering was a crapshoot, and advised me to buy a copy from you directly.

You'll get my order within the hour.

That's rather sad to hear, but thank you for sharing. The store your friend runs should complain to Alliance directly if placing orders on behalf of customers is something of a crapshoot. Alliance did restock all our titles over the past couple of weeks, so that may have been part of the problem, but the retailer/distributor relationship is what dictates which titles appear in FLGS shelves.

I have to say that, with the exception of Alliance, our experience with distributors has not been good. Lion Rampant in Canada have, after encouraging initial discussions, refused to answer emails or telephone messages wanting an answer to an extremely simple question ('Is it a requirement for game books to be shrink-wrapped?'), leading to me losing all faith in their ability to handle our modest business. Esdevium in the UK have never replied to any of my emails about UK distribution, even when a store as prestigious as Travelling Man asked them to. It therefore seems that many distributors have appalling communication channels when dealing with either publishers or retailers.

Our relationship with Aeon then, is a god-send, since they are, first and foremost, a publisher themselves, and run by an avid gamer and fan of our material. But I do lament for any business that cannot be courteous enough to reply to polite messages of enquiry from even a small enterprise such as ours: it simply colours my view of that side of the industry as a whole.
loz

Postby pachristian » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:51 pm

It is discouraging, as I'd like to support my local brick-and-mortar hobby stores. But my email was less a complaint and rant than an advisory that you may have distribution problems here on the left coast of the USA. Hopefully Alliance is coming through for you in other areas. Anyway, I've ordered the books I need, and will now begin harassing you to release Mythic Greece....
pachristian

Return to Mythras