Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Symbols & emblems in Thennla

Symbols & emblems in Thennla

Postby guernicus » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Drawings of the deities in SoK were inspirational and I noticed some of the gods are represented with accessories that could be used as emblems for their cults.

I wonder if symbols/emblems for the major nations and cults of Thennla have been defined (and will be revealed in next supplements) or if they are free for the GM to create ?
guernicus

Re: Symbols & emblems in Thennla

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:26 am

guernicus wrote:Drawings of the deities in SoK were inspirational and I noticed some of the gods are represented with accessories that could be used as emblems for their cults. I wonder if symbols/emblems for the major nations and cults of Thennla have been defined (and will be revealed in next supplements) or if they are free for the GM to create ?

Lee did a great job on the 'statuettes' - and I would run with any inspiration to take from them. For example Lee devised a 'lunar' symbol just as a bit of costume in his illo of a Jekkarene priestess - it works, run with it, I do! Anything that helps you visualise for yourself or your players is good; use it, build on it.

I always shied away from overt use of the RQ runes as symbols in the setting - that's for no other reason really than when I originally devised the setting I was also playing and running Glorantha from time to time. So not to use the Runes as a shorthand to describe or devise iconography was deliberate to maintain a differentiation from one setting to the other. There's no reason not to drop the runes in (as in Koibos' crown on the cover of SoK) in a big way of you want to!
Simulacrum

Postby guernicus » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40 pm

Lee did a great job on the 'statuettes' - and I would run with any inspiration to take from them.

Indeed, and it would be great to have similar ones for the tarsenian pantheon :-)
For example Lee devised a 'lunar' symbol just as a bit of costume in his illo of a Jekkarene priestess - it works, run with it, I do! Anything that helps you visualise for yourself or your players is good; use it, build on it.

Ah, I spot it : the opposite crescents on her shoulder !

Regarding the runes, I chose to use them in my implementation of the setting, but as arcane symbols of the abstract universal powers only known to old scholars, high priests, archmagus or emperors. Not known by common folk nor used as emblems. So I’m going to invent my own cult symbols.

Thank you Simulacrum.
guernicus

Postby guernicus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:14 am

I revive this thread to share the emblems I finally made for my korantian campaign. I wanted to help my players to visualize the numerous cults and City-States of Korantia : https://aristentorus.wordpress.com/2016/08/04/emblemes-de-korantie/ (in French).
For most of the emblems, I used the heraldic elements from wikimedia https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:SVG_coat_of_arms_elements and from the French Wikipedia Projet Blason https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projet:Blasons. I tried to keep them relatively simple to avoid a too strong medieval aspect (for the same reason I violated the laws of heraldry without any scruple). I also didn't bother with the question of colours availability.
If you find any interest in them, feel free to use them for your campaign.
guernicus

Postby guernicus » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:00 am

If anyone is interested, here is my interpretation of some taskian emblems.
guernicus

Return to Supplements