Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythras Core Rules Questions

Mythras Core Rules Questions

Postby m3nt0r » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:29 pm

Hello everybody,

I am new to Mythras, bought the book and skimming it now, i have two questions so far:

a)Are there standard rounding rules? For example when computing Initiative Bonus, or skill penalties 1/3 etc.?
b)In Augmenting Skills, can multiple characters Augment someone else? Can someone Augment some other character with the same skill used by the main character? Can characters chain Augment, for example Commerce(main character)<-Language(character 2)<-Culture(character 3)?

thank you in advance!
m3nt0r

Re: Mythras Core Rules Questions

Postby TrippyHippy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:50 pm

a) Always round up to the nearest whole number. (From Mythras Imperative, p2)
b) Yes, you can augment someone else's skill, if the GM thinks it is appropriate although I am not sure about having a chain of skills (form Mythras Core p50).
TrippyHippy

Postby loz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:00 pm

a)Are there standard rounding rules? For example when computing Initiative Bonus, or skill penalties 1/3 etc.?

Always round up.

b)In Augmenting Skills, can multiple characters Augment someone else? Can someone Augment some other character with the same skill used by the main character? Can characters chain Augment, for example Commerce(main character)<-Language(character 2)<-Culture(character 3)?

No, you can't chain skills in this way. Only one augment is allowable, whether its from the same character or another.
loz

Postby CRKrueger » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:48 pm

Didn't Pete's Blood Magic have some kind of Concert spell that could let you group Augment or something like that. Anyway, it seems like some kind of ritual could work, like a Priest and three Acolytes doing a Concert Ritual before a Surgery or whatever.
CRKrueger

Postby raleel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:21 am

CRKrueger wrote:Didn't Pete's Blood Magic have some kind of Concert spell that could let you group Augment or something like that. Anyway, it seems like some kind of ritual could work, like a Priest and three Acolytes doing a Concert Ritual before a Surgery or whatever.

Yes but it is substantially different from augmentation.
raleel

Postby Matt_E » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:52 am

Yeah, I would not try to look for odd exceptions. My reading has always been that only one skill can be used to Augment any attempt, and now it's clear that the designers had that in mind for general use of Augmentation.

I l ike the Augmentation idea very much. It simulates real life well, I think, and can and should be used often.

One way that I use it is in Team Tests: When appropriate, I use the best score in the party as the base, and the next best to Augment. Often it seems appropriate, as for a Perception check when there are multiple lookouts, or a group of Trackers, or a group of Engineers collaborating on a big project, or a couple of detectives using Streetwise. My experience in real life is that there is usually a boss who is best at the given skill, and an assistant, and everyone else's contribution is minor enough to be skipped.

I don't insist that the supporting skill be the same one as the main skill. For example, in detective work the base skill might be Streetwise, but the supporting skill could be Influence--or vice versa. I let the players be creative, and if they come up with a plausible rationale, I go with it.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby loz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:13 pm

I freely admit to thieving the augmentation mechanic from HeroQuest. In earlier versions of HQ you did get the problem of augment hunting; there were few brakes on where augments could come from an how many you could have, so you would see some real stretches of the rules and dozens of augments being applied all at once. 'Of course I can augment my Sword and Shield Fighting with my Macrame ability - I knitted my own chainmail...'

So we decided to restrict the rule to a single skill augment from one other source - otherwise it gets silly. On occasion, I might allow two augments, if the circumstances really, really warrant it - but the general rule is as stated.
loz

Postby raleel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:34 pm

I allow for retroactive augments in my game with the expenditure of a luck point. I make the player describe how the augment would help in this situation. The augment doesn't have to be from them either. They could say "well, I was training with Bob the Fighter the other day and he was showing me the finer points of blocking with my shield. One of his blows came high and would have cleaved my skull. Since this is a head shot, I'm going to spend a luck point and use Bob's combat skill to help out"

Helps in situations where they failed by a few points and can't just flip the dice and don't want to reroll.
raleel

Return to Mythras