Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Dealing with different Levels of TEC.

Discussions on the M-Space setting and other publications by FrostByte Books.

Dealing with different Levels of TEC.

Postby Belgath » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:21 pm

Was reading of on the F22 and how one plane in testing to out groups of F16 or f15 time and time again and in five years of exercise it's never lost. In olmost every combat test the F16 or F15 where out of the combat exercise before they ever saw or located the F22. So got thinking of how to handle aliens with much hire technology. Targeting computers, guidance, radar that magnitudes of order more powerful. Wanted a easy way to handle this. What I came up with was have generic tec lvl for the Space faring races say 1-10 and for every tec lvl another ship is hire then your own, it gets one grade harder for PC to succeed. Lower tec lvl ship would be grade easer to succeed per tec lvl. That way there would be an easy way to handle a situation where there is a large gap in tec. What is you opinion on this? Is this reasonable?
Belgath

Re: Dealing with different Levels of TEC.

Postby simonb1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:24 am

Hi all,

Unless they have upgraded the Radar Warning Receptors on the F15 or F16 to F22 standards, then they will not be able to detect the F22's targeting radar.

If you apply this to lower tech verses higher tech, you will have cake walks not interesting fights.

Simon
simonb1

Postby Belgath » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:14 am

It was more of a way for the players to be vary scared of some the most Advanced alien races. Who's technologies are so advanced you need to find ways other then fighting to defeat them. But I don't want to ruin the fun. But I could foresee a planetary landing vehicle being attacked by arrows and spears, or runing in to a races equivalent to us in the 1960s were there would not even be capable of detecting the ship.
Belgath

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:26 am

Well you are ignoring Lockheed's IRST upgrades to F15s and F16s, but yes, in many USAF exercises the defender planes are forbidden to use that particular tech - its often not wise to look too closely to military test parameters. That aside there are counter-tactics for most tech disadvantages which means that its not always so one sided, at least when considering only a generation behind near-parity. The greater the difference, the more one-sided it becomes.

Really, it all depends on what your tech number values actually represent*. For running Mythras, one difficulty step per point of difference makes perfect sense - both in tangible benefit and ease of game-play. The other thing to think about is that there still needs to be a reasonable chance of PC/NPC success, otherwise no fun is had because its either too difficult or a literal cake walk.

* For my one-off Culture games I view Bank's tech values as representing a log10 scale: i.e. each integer is an order of magnitude superiority. So a tech 6 culture soldier or starship is the battlefield is equal to 100 tech 4 equivalents, and will eventually be taken out by accumulated damage, running out of power, or internal component wear and tear. I apply the same rough rule of thumb to weapon damage, armour, even Action Points under certain circumstances. But that's super-tech space opera.
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby Pentallion » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:14 pm

I read a book once, back in the 60's where a human spaceship ran into aliens to advanced to mess with so they ran, but they couldn't go back to earth. Since they didn't know if the alien tech allowed them to keep tracking their ship, they had no idea if they'd escaped or not. They had no way to warn Earth. By sheer bad luck, they actually went deeper into the alien territory. Finally, they found themselves being chased down. their weapons were useless. The aliens clearly intended to capture them alive and learn the whereabouts of their home planet. So the humans ate their last meal and prepared to destroy themselves. One character flushed the trash out the ships disposal system. The same chemical that basically ate up their waste products was ejected into space. Turned out the aliens coated their ships in a substance that this waste disposal chemical ate away and before you knew it, the alien ship exploded.

Sometimes, you can have too much technology.
Pentallion

Postby Belgath » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Pentallion wrote:I read a book once, back in the 60's where a human spaceship ran into aliens to advanced to mess with so they ran, but they couldn't go back to earth. Since they didn't know if the alien tech allowed them to keep tracking their ship, they had no idea if they'd escaped or not. They had no way to warn Earth. By sheer bad luck, they actually went deeper into the alien territory. Finally, they found themselves being chased down. their weapons were useless. The aliens clearly intended to capture them alive and learn the whereabouts of their home planet. So the humans ate their last meal and prepared to destroy themselves. One character flushed the trash out the ships disposal system. The same chemical that basically ate up their waste products was ejected into space. Turned out the aliens coated their ships in a substance that this waste disposal chemical ate away and before you knew it, the alien ship exploded.

Sometimes, you can have too much technology.

Now I like that sorta stuff, and hope to emulate this time of event. So even with aliens with vastly superior tec, there will always be a weakness.
Belgath

Postby Clarence Redd » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:01 am

I'm a little late on the ball here, but using difficulty levels to emulate tech levels generally works fine. If you haven't prepared all starship stats, it's very efficient.

If you do have the time to design the low tech ships, I would recommend lowering the stats instead. As per page xx in M-SPACE, either lower the efficiency of a system or increase its size. I would halve the values for every TL lower (for example, if max Thrust Rating is 100 in TL13, it would be 50 in TL12), though this is somewhat depending on the setting.

So, to get a TL12 engine as powerful as a TL13 engine, it will be double the size. Same thing with weapon damage. Shields, Armor and hyperspace should also be halved. Apps will generally be useless on higher TL targets.

You could also cap Speed and Handling, but that might not be necessary with the above suggestions.

But as pointed out above, there can sometimes be finer points that will turn the tables : )
Clarence Redd

Postby Belgath » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks Clarence
Belgath

Return to M-Space (FrostByte Books)