Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythras Play by Post

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Mythras Play by Post

Postby berjkley » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:30 am

So, I’ve been gaming for a long time (over than a decade) with most of my gaming time enjoying d20 and related systems. Recently, I’m in love with play by post gaming, because it offers a lot more of opportunity to role play and build a character, as well amazing exciting histories. Live games are still a thing for me, but play by post earned its spot on my normal gaming time.

The thing is, I got tired of d20 systems, by the simple fact it has become too complicated. There’s countless of things to remember, countless bonus/penalties/situational modifiers to remember and my distaste for ‘magic everywhere’ made me search for a new gaming system.

I found Mongoose Legend (1$ core rulebook), and from there RQ6, and now I recently acquired Mythras and started a live sword and sorcery game (using here the legend supplement: The spider god’s bride and other tales of sword and sorcery by Xoth Publishing), we just had our second gaming session and it was a blast, I’m liking Mythras more and more.

The issue now is this: I want to run a play by post(pbp) game as well using the system, however, due to pbp nature it can take some time from players to answers (usually DM’s request one posting per day), and Mythras combat system with has the concept of Action-Reaction, any combat on pbp would take ages and get boring really fast.

So, my question is this one: Anyone has ever thought about a simplified combat system for Mythras which would allow it to be used in play by post gaming? Any suggestion or ideas how to simplify it?
berjkley

Re: Mythras Play by Post

Postby Matt_E » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:46 am

I have never thought about that. :-) Honestly, I think you're right about it becoming boring. I think pbp is not a good way to capture the excitement and flavor of Mythras combat, or other tense skill-check events that take place in measured Combat Rounds or possibly Local Time (see the section "Action, Time, and Movement" of RAW). For those, an online forum like Roll20 would seem to be much better (assuming your group can't physically meet).

It's clear you like pbp very much, though. It's good for slower events that are measured in Strategic Time (or possibly Local Time): travel, meeting the locals, interim planning between adventures, etc. Quite a bit of this stuff could be handled by roleplaying and exposition/narration, possibly without any dice rolling.

How about a hybrid mode? You could use Roll20 at scheduled times during the week or month for combat and other quick, interactive stuff, and use Google Docs or a Hangout or group chat for the other stuff that occurs at a more leisurely pace.

I would not go changing rules to accommodate your play style, as long as I could change the tools/medium that are used to support both.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Rubrum » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:39 am

I suppose it depends what it is that you actually like most about Mythras. I mean we like ALL of it, but if you're especially fond of the combat system above all, you probably will find it disappointing through PbP. Although I haven't tried it, it just seems like it would be. Or that it would take way too long to maintain people's interest.

If you don't mind scrapping the entire combat system (heresy!), you could transform combat into a more narrative and simple system using opposed rolls or "one or two differential rolls" and give people "three chances" where they go from "healthy" to "sort of wounded" to "heavily wounded". No, I haven't thought of anything like that, but maybe inspiration is to be found in things like HeroQuest2.0, FATE or Savage Worlds.
Rubrum

Postby Bilharzia » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:29 pm

How about a hybrid mode? You could use Roll20 at scheduled times during the week or month for combat and other quick, interactive stuff, and use Google Docs or a Hangout or group chat for the other stuff that occurs at a more leisurely pace.

This is almost exactly how I'm playing an online game now. We're using roll20 and google docs to track things, share information, run character dialogue and interactions using the roll20 forum, and one of the roll20 game rooms is the groups' "base town" with a map, some NPC info, images of previous adventures combined with a weekly 'live' session where we run for a few hours. So far it's working well, some players are more involved with the forum and docs side of it, some less so but it caters for different interests and kinds of involvement. I didn't plan it like this but it's evolved as things have run a bit. The live portion is still the core of the game and still that's where most of the drama and interest is for I think everyone involved, but it's a surprise how much the supporting activities add to the game.
Bilharzia

Postby berjkley » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:53 am

I see, thanks for the opinions, and well, I guess I’m liking the deadly and dramatic combat, but I’m usually more interested on history and roleplay. For me, a combat altho is a good thing, it’s only good if there’s a reason for that, which is why I don’t run random encounters on my games: there’s no mindless killing for the sake of filling time, all combats, deadly are they are, happens for a reason and my ‘villains’ have their own agenda and their own personality.

So, yes, maintaining the strategic possibilities for the combat would be a plus, and simplifying it seems to remove most of what I want in my games: “Combat is deadly business, choose your battles with care or suffer the consequences” sort of feeling.

--

That being said:
Rubrum wrote:If you don't mind scrapping the entire combat system (heresy!), you could transform combat into a more narrative and simple system using opposed rolls or "one or two differential rolls" and give people "three chances" where they go from "healthy" to "sort of wounded" to "heavily wounded". No, I haven't thought of anything like that, but maybe inspiration is to be found in things like HeroQuest2.0, FATE or Savage Worlds.

No, I wouldn’t want to scrap the entire combat system, but just think of a way to simplify things. The most difficult thing for me is that Mythras is heavily dependent on initiative, which is one of the worse things to keep on pbp gaming, since you can’t predict when the player will post, which in turn makes everyone else waiting on a single player post (and even then, if I follow the current flow on combat, I’ll have to wait for another action from the same player, for possible special effects and such), on pathfinder, I can usually simplify things by grouping initiatives which gives me something like this: Heroes | villains | heroes, and that allows players to interact with each other without really needing to worry about their ‘place’ on the initiative, because after the second round of combat, it’ll merge into a single big group: Heroes | Villains

Anyway, I appreciate the tips, I’ll give this some more thought and then if I ever think of something acceptable, I’ll post my solution here.
berjkley

Postby Tathas » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:50 pm

In the PbP Mythras games I've been in, the GM has simply included a statement at the entry point of the game that during combat, you will be required to post within 12h or 24h of when your input is required or you will have been considered to have dithered.

If you follow the full back and forth like on the table, combat does drag on if everyone involved isn't immediately available. If you can include some preemptive decision making when you post though, it's not really too bad.

In a game I'm in right now, I rolled a crit against a bandit.
* If he fails his parry or is out of AP, I will maximize damage (6) abd choose location: Abdomen. this should deal 4 damage on top of the 3 I've already done, dealing a serious wound and likely KO unless his endurance can beat a crit 4.
* If he makes his parry, I'll disarm.

No back and forth needed by the GM when he comes to respond to me. You may need to occasionally edit on the event of retroactive luck points.
Tathas

Postby berjkley » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:11 am

Tathas wrote:No back and forth needed by the GM when he comes to respond to me. You may need to occasionally edit on the event of retroactive luck points.

I've considered it as well.

I might give it a try and see if it works as I want. Thanks for the suggestion.
berjkley

Return to General Gaming & Discussion