Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Blood Debt

Re: Blood Debt

Postby Marras » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:08 pm

Matt_E wrote:Structure that as Social Conflict, i.e. use the Task mechanics? One of the best features of Mythras, possibly underrecognized as such

Is it something new in Mythras? I have only RQ6, M-SPACE and Mythras Imperative (the last two need better reading). I considered about using the extended conflict from M-SPACE and the situation really is important enough for it but to me both PCs share the same fate and in extended conflict only one PC should plea their case if I have understood the rules correctly.
Marras

Postby Matt_E » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Marras wrote:
Matt_E wrote:Structure that as Social Conflict, i.e. use the Task mechanics? One of the best features of Mythras, possibly underrecognized as such

Is it something new in Mythras? I have only RQ6, M-SPACE and Mythras Imperative (the last two need better reading). I considered about using the extended conflict from M-SPACE and the situation really is important enough for it but to me both PCs share the same fate and in extended conflict only one PC should plea their case if I have understood the rules correctly.

Social Conflict is not new; it was in RQ6, toward the back of the book. Nowadays, see Mythras RAW, page 287 (bookmarked in PDF).

Basically, it's the Task resolution mechanic, dressed for a different context, so see also page 65.

This set of rules is very nice for any number of situations: races, investigations, seductions, interrogations... It has features of an Opposed Test, but the nice part is that the ultimate result can withstand one or two bad skill rolls instead of failing entirely, and that the GM decides on the "special effects" that come with different levels of success.

I have brought up the Task mechanic in other posts, most recently in post17488.html#p17488 . I reiterate, to me this is one of the strongest parts of Mythras game design, but which is possibly underutilized, considering some of our discussions in threads here.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Marras » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Ah, OK. I'll take a look. The discussion behind the link was very interesting.
Marras

Postby Marras » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:40 pm

It took it's sweet time but we finally managed to play our 2nd session! :shock:

I asked my players how they wanted to handle this court. I gave them the option of playing it out as a social combat from M-SPACE or as simple Influence rolls. They wanted to handle it the more simple way.

I had prepared a small table that gave the results based on how well both players rolled. In the end one roll was a success and one a failure. As the ruler (a former Governor) was in favor of the PCs this result was good enough so the Governor set them free but that they owed him a huge favor. As a result I ticked "fall apart" clock once (now it has 4 segments before the last vestiges of old rule are ruined). The Jarl and his retinue sailed back to North clearly displeased. The result displeased also some of the nobles in the city and one of them made an agreement with the Jarl. He promised to deliver the PCs to the Jarl for the promise of getting a reward when the Governor is finally dethroned.

True to his word, the noble had his son assemble a small band of city thugs to kidnap the PCs. They launched an ambush one evening as PCs were returning home from carousing. One successful awareness roll saved the day (or evening) thus voiding the ambush. This launched a desperate chase through dark streets where one of the PCs managed to get a pretty good head and another managed to get a pretty solid hit to head from a club (stun location, head location just a lucky roll). The lucky PC started to yell for help and meanwhile thugs tied the dazed PC's hands and began to drag him away. Luckily he came to and began to struggle so effectively that it bought enough time for the other PC to come to his friend's aid with two of the guard from their employer. The thugs let the PC fall to the ground and decided to flee until they were so far away from those guard that had stopped to help the fallen PC that they turned their attention to the PC that was chasing them :) The PC decided to turn tail and flee (again) in turn. :lol:

This encounter had costed both of the PCs a bit in minor wounds that were healed in couple of days. After this they began to track the thugs. After couple of successful streetwise rolls they hired two members from the brotherhood that one of the PCs had just joined and went to investigate one more address. Another lucky awareness roll saved their asses again and they managed to flee the scene as two arrows landed quite near them before they disappeared behind a corner where archers could not reach them.

The players figured that the site would have around 10 enemies and decided that it was too much to handle alone. The session ended when PCs hired 4 more brotherhood members and prepared to launch an assault.

A pretty successful evening in my opinion even as we were extremely rusty in how combat worked and in gaming in general! The next session is sure to begin in a nice assault scene and depending on how it goes, they will probably venture to countryside looking for bandits there.
Marras

Postby Matt_E » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:47 am

Marras wrote: As a result I ticked "fall apart" clock once (now it has 4 segments before the last vestiges of old rule are ruined).

Cool. I think that a "Doomsday Clock" is a very nice, simple, intuitive way to handle an overarching plot element like that. One could even literally prepare a physical clock face with a pointer, for display during gaming sessions, as a concrete reminder of what is going on in the larger gaming world, and of the adventurers' related successes and failures--a good tool to promote drama and immersion. "Aw, hell, guys, our botched mission from the last adventure has put us all the way up to '2 minutes to midnight'. We can't afford any more mistakes!"

I have even used a version of this in one of my own published scenarios. It should be easy to figure out which one. :-D
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Previous

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences