Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Misc questions

Discussions on the M-Space setting and other publications by FrostByte Books.

Misc questions

Postby Marras » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:35 am

Here it is again :)

The preview looks great! Now, some questions:

1) Are character generated the same way as in Mythras? How many occupations there will be in the game?

2) How easy/hard would it be to implement the whole Mythras combat system to M-SPACE? I have understood that the default combat system is somewhat simpler and less lethal.

3) How high tech levels are supported? I assume Killjoys and Dark Matter will be fine but how much further?

4) Are there cybernetics included?

Thanks!
Marras

Re: Misc questions

Postby Clarence Redd » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:16 am

1. Character generation is built on Mythras Imperative, thus very close to the full rules. The exact number of occupations is 20 (belter, bounty hunter, colonist, starship pilot, diplomat, etcetera).

2. It's very, very easy to up-size combat. Almost seamless I believe, but Pete and Loz may be in a better position to answer this. And yes, the M-SPACE combat system is simplified somewhat. It comes in two flavors: almost straight Imperative rules and a simplified version. The simplified version uses fewer Special Effects (11), and no hit locations. For new players, I have found it quite smooth to start with the simplified rules, and then bring in the Imperative version after a while. For Cthulhu-like investigative scenarios, I have stayed with the simplified rules though.

3. M-SPACE uses tech levels in accordance with Classic Traveller. Highest TL is 15 and default TL for the game is 13. Present day Earth is TL7-8. While not the perfect list of tech levels, it's good enough, and the idea of staying with this widely spread list just seemed right. Higher levels may be added at a later date; suggestions welcome.

4. No cybernetics I'm afraid. It's in the works though, utilizing a similar modular system as for starships and vehicles.
Clarence Redd

Postby Marras » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Thanks for the replies!

1) OK, I will have to re-read Mythras Imperative to see what the differences to full rules are.

2) Based on our experience with RQ6 and other games I would say we would go with full Mythras combat but I can see that there are campaign styles where you can very well use simpler version of combat. It would be nice to hear from Loz and/or Pete how easy the implementation would be.

3) I am somewhat familiar with Traveller, mostly with Traveller The New Era but TLs were the same in that version as in all other Traveller games. TL 15 is pretty high, certainly high enough for me. Perhaps not high enough for settings inspired by Alastair Reynolds's books but for something less transhumanist.

4) Ah, too bad but I'm glad they are coming. I have pretty heavy background on old CP2020 and I would include at least some elements from that in my setting. Are there at least some prosthetics in the game? I mean it is pretty easy to loose some limbs in Mythras so having replacement parts would be a good idea :)

5) As there are no cybernetics I assume there are no cyberspace either. Are there some sort of hacking rules or ideas for extended test to be used for this?
Marras

Postby Matt_E » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Marras wrote:1) OK, I will have to re-read Mythras Imperative to see what the differences to full rules are.

There has been some talk about the differences on the Mythras Errata thread, and there was a thread devoted to the differences between MI & RQ6.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Marras » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:52 am

I have to look at those thread, Matt. Thanks!
Marras

Postby Clarence Redd » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:41 am

3. Yes, TL15 will be ok for most settings I believe.

4. Good point : ) No prosthetics are included unfortunately, but there's a good Autodoc module for starships to keep maimed characters alive until they reach a medical facility. What a well-equipped hospital can do will depend on the setting though. But more on this in the coming cybernetics rules.

5. No cyberspace. I'm sure you can use the rules for Extended Conflicts for this though.
Clarence Redd

Postby Marras » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks for the answers!
Marras

Return to M-Space (FrostByte Books)