Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

design classic fantasy vs chaosium classic fantasy

For information on Design Mechanism's rules and supplements

design classic fantasy vs chaosium classic fantasy

Postby kevsurp » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:03 pm

ok i have chaosium classic fantasy pdf and i would like to know if design version is any different or is it basicly the same?
kevsurp

Re: design classic fantasy vs chaosium classic fantasy

Postby loz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:27 pm

kevsurp wrote:ok i have chaosium classic fantasy pdf and i would like to know if design version is any different or is it basicly the same?

While Rod will, I am sure, chime in, I can say that they are very different. Not least in terms of production values, but also in terms of content and structure.
loz

Postby threedeesix » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:44 pm

loz wrote:
kevsurp wrote:ok i have chaosium classic fantasy pdf and i would like to know if design version is any different or is it basicly the same?

While Rod will, I am sure, chime in, I can say that they are very different. Not least in terms of production values, but also in terms of content and structure.

Yup, I had a whole explanation and comparison typed out, hit Submit, and lost the connection. Bummer.

Ok, where BRP Classic Fantasy was pretty much a player's handbook, Mythras Classic Fantasy is a much more complete and refined product. It contains everything that was in the BRP version, but also loads of additional information, as well as monsters, and magic items. In addition, I never stopped refining Classic Fantasy after I finished the BRP version and the Mythras version benefits from another 6+ years of playtesting. On top of all of that, its just a beautiful product.

If you enjoyed the BRP version of Classic Fantasy, I can think of no reason you would not enjoy the Mythras version. It's just better in just about every way. If however, you didn't really like what I was attempting to accomplish with the BRP version, I cant say with any certainty that you will like this one any more.

But please buy it anyway. :D

Rod
threedeesix

Postby Vile » Sun May 01, 2016 7:58 am

threedeesix wrote:Yup, I had a whole explanation and comparison typed out, hit Submit, and lost the connection. Bummer.

You should probably write up an FAQ document at this point! ;)
Vile

Postby jeddak » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:45 am

One difference I just discovered is that Mythras Classic Fantasy does not contain the Digging and Tunnelling rules that are found in BRP Classic Fantasy.

I'm curious as to the reason why these were omitted from the new edition of the book.

Was it that these kinds of situations were deemed too rare to waste page space, or was it due to some dissatisfaction or problem with these rules?
jeddak

Postby threedeesix » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:24 am

It was pretty much a space saving necessity. I had to pull quite a bit of stuff to get it down to it's current SIZ. However, assuming I don't run into the same problem with the Companion (which is likely, as I tend to write far more than we can publish), I hope to include it. This includes several other things from the Spot Rules chapter that met the same fate.

Rod
threedeesix

Return to Products and Releases