Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythras Core Rulebook Differences to RQ6 Rulebook

Mythras Core Rulebook Differences to RQ6 Rulebook

Postby groovyclam » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:01 pm

I've compared the two rulebook PDFs and come up with these differences so far:

Cosmetic:

A new smaller font and less whitespace on each page means Mythras Core is 304 pages vs RQ6's 450-ish. The artwork generally is smaller than in the RQ6 book which probably helps get the page count down as well. I also think a smidgen of the art from RQ6 is left out ( but there are a few new pieces too ).

Text:

1. Introduction by Steve Perrin and the history of RQ excised. Replaced by shorter intro to Mythras.

2. Strike Rank is renamed Initiative Bonus.

3. RQ6 Page 93 callout box - Weapon STR and DEX Requirements - dropped (not necessary as it was concerning RQ before version 6).

4. Combat chapter -

• The Move Combat Action is rewritten.
  • The Regain Footing Combat Action is changed to as per Mythras Imperative version.
  • 10 new combat special effects added (7 of these are the ones from the existing Firearms supplement).

5. Magic chapter has all the stuff about runes on pages 165-168 of RQ6 excised.

6. Animism chapter -

• The callout box The Source of Spirits on Page 202 of RQ6 dealing with spirits and runes is excised.
  • The pages that were in the RQ6 Creatures chapter detailing spirits are moved into this chapter instead.
  • What were Fetch Abilities in RQ6 have been split out of the Fetch Spirit section and listed under a new section called Spirit Abilities (under the Designing Spirits section) - the intention being that it is a list you can pick from when designing your own spirits. Some abilities are renamed, some dropped and some added - there are now 31 of them.
  • All spirit types are now associated with one or more of these Spirit Abilities. Each spirit type write-up now explains any special effects a spirit has as being one or more of these Spirit Abilities (this has minimal in-game effect compared to RQ6 - it is just a better system of codifying spirits).
  • New Medicine Spirit added. Curse Spirit given full stats.
  • The subsections; Spirit Binding, Using Spirits, and Summoning a Spirit have been re-written to varying degrees - spirits can now be bound to 3 things; fetishes, locations or creatures.
  • The section Spirit Combat has been rewritten somewhat - spirits can attack in the real world (as well as the Spirit World) without first pulling the victim into the Spirit World.
  • There are also now Special Effects for Spirit Combat.
  • There is now a 3rd type of possession - Passive Possession
7. Cults and Brotherhoods chapter -

• RQ6 page 297 section Runic Affinities excised.
  • All mentions of affiliated runes for sample organisations are dropped.
8. Creatures chapter -

• The Giant entry has a new callout box: One Head or Two?.
  • The RQ6 Appendix 2 and 3 tables for Chaos Features and Non-Human Hit Locations are moved into this chapter.
9. Appendix 1 of RQ6 dealing with using tabletop miniatures in combat is dropped.

10. RQ6 page 456 - Recommended Reading and Viewing - dropped.

11. Some chapters have their contents re-ordered slightly to make them flow better.
Last edited by groovyclam on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.
groovyclam

Re: Mythras Core Rulebook Differences to RQ6 Rulebook

Postby Claybor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:07 pm

9. Appendix 1 of RQ6 dealing with using tabletop miniatures in combat is dropped.

That's too bad. I think a lot of folks want to play in more that fashion, and I think having that option was very helpful.
Claybor

Postby loz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Claybor wrote:9. Appendix 1 of RQ6 dealing with using tabletop miniatures in combat is dropped.

That's too bad. I think a lot of folks want to play in more that fashion, and I think having that option was very helpful.

We dropped it because 'Classic Fantasy' actually does it FAR better. If you're looking for battle map Mythras combat, then that's the book to buy.
loz

Postby Claybor » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:33 am

We dropped it because 'Classic Fantasy' actually does it FAR better. If you're looking for battle map Mythras combat, then that's the book to buy.

OK. I will have to give classic fantasy a look, even though it's not really my style of play. I imagine there will be some other things in there I can use as well.
Claybor

Postby Caliburn » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:34 am

First of all - loving the pdf of Mythras, despite the errant table etc.

I look forwards to receiving the paper copy - although it is a shame ordering from the UK supplier does not give us a print+free pdf option.

If I have just one complaint it is that you kept the terribad picture of the elf in the Creatures section... :P

I know a great artist who could do a much better elf for you for peanuts, but it is of course too late at this stage.

Otherwise - great stuff - and my homebrew campaign continues to develop extensively using the contents of this and Monster Island.
Caliburn

Postby smjn » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:43 am

Caliburn wrote:I look forwards to receiving the paper copy - although it is a shame ordering from the UK supplier does not give us a print+free pdf option.
Which UK supplier are you referring to? Aeon Games lists Mythras Core Rules Hardback + free PDF for £29.99.
smjn

Postby groovyclam » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:35 am

smjn wrote:Which UK supplier are you referring to? Aeon Games lists Mythras Core Rules Hardback + free PDF for £29.99.

That is a recent correction to their website -- it initially launched without having the "+ free PDF" mentioned on each product.
groovyclam

Postby Caliburn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:26 am

Damn - never mind - looks like I got a little burned ordering as early as I could.

But as that's a little more revenue for DM then I won't loose sleep over it. :)
Caliburn

Postby loz » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:35 am

Caliburn wrote:Damn - never mind - looks like I got a little burned ordering as early as I could.

But as that's a little more revenue for DM then I won't loose sleep over it. :)

Aeon will, I'm sure, provide the PDF free of charge.
loz

Return to Mythras