Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Bring back Elric/Stormbringer?

For information on Design Mechanism's rules and supplements

Bring back Elric/Stormbringer?

Postby TrippyHippy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:52 am

I mooted this on the wishlist above, but it's really worth a consideration. Nobody else is doing an Eternal Champion game, and it's unlikely that either Chaosium or Mongoose would be able to take it back in any case.

It would have a huge back catalogue, which may be worth something and the groundwork for a new edition by TDM has already been done insofar that Loz wrote much of it. While I acknowledge some marketing ought to be done, and that the iconic recognition of Moorecock's work may not be as great as 30 years ago perhaps, Stormbringer is still a classic game. Indeed, after D&D it was the second RPG I ever played and the first I ever bought (I was sucked in by the spectacular cover of the GW 3rd Edition).

If TDM applied the same attitude towards lifting RQ from MRQII to RQ6, then a really high quality game could be made. There could be new art commissioned, with another spectacular cover, and maybe an intro written by Moorecock himself along with maybe even a segment of intro text directly taken from a chapter in one of his books. The text would largely be based on what was written in the Mongoose edition, but with a better interior design and a similar physical quality that we have had with all TDM books released so far. Moreover, it could tie in with other Moorcockian titles like Hawkmoon, Corum, Jerry Cornelius and indeed Luther Arkwright. It could be the basis of a shared multiverse series of games.

Thoughts, anyone?
TrippyHippy

Re: Bring back Elric/Stormbringer?

Postby TrippyHippy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:43 pm

Oh, well, maybe not the most popular idea then!

Still, I'm due to travel for Christmas, so Happy Christmas all, and I hope Pete and Loz get the business success they deserve next year!
TrippyHippy

Postby Belgath » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:47 pm

I vary much enjoyed Elric but I jest convert my old stuff on the fly.
Belgath

Postby Mankcam » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:30 am

I think it is a great idea, especially if it can be tied in with the current adaption from Titan comics, it's very dark, twisted, contemporary, yet also very much classic sword and sorcery:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/michael-moorcock ... 1639201318
However I suspect that purchasing the rights for The Young Kingdoms may be quite costly, and perhaps too much a gamble
Mankcam

Postby Pentallion » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:45 am

Moorcock said TV series.....
Pentallion

Postby Hexelis » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:08 pm

I love Stormbringer, Hawkmoon, Corum. A Mythras version of any one of those would indeed be cool. Until then there's Luther Arkwright.
Hexelis

Postby Akrasia » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:53 pm

A version of the Young Kingdoms (and the Tragic Millennium, and Corum's world, etc.) for Mythras would be great. But I don't expect it to happen. For one thing, the DM already has plenty on its plate. Second, I suspect that Loz may not want to return to that setting, having mined it heavily over several decades.

If you really want to run a Young Kingdoms campaign with Mythras/RQ6, I would recommend tracking down the Elric of Melnibone books that Loz wrote for MRQII. MRQII is close enough to Mythras/RQ6 to use those books without much (if any) work. And they're very good as well.
My gaming blog: http://akraticwizardry.blogspot.com
Akrasia

Postby Atlatl Jones » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:29 am

Akrasia wrote:If you really want to run a Young Kingdoms campaign with Mythras/RQ6, I would recommend tracking down the Elric of Melnibone books that Loz wrote for MRQII. MRQII is close enough to Mythras/RQ6 to use those books without much (if any) work. And they're very good as well.

I agree. I picked up the MRQII Elric of Melnibone book while traveling a couple months ago, and it has quite good coverage of Elric's world.

I'd much rather see a book based on Hawkmoon. Or Jerry Cornelius, but that would be basically be Luther Arkwright with trippier art and stream of consciousness writing. :mrgreen:
Atlatl Jones

Postby Jakob » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:41 am

Akrasia wrote:
If you really want to run a Young Kingdoms campaign with Mythras/RQ6, I would recommend tracking down the Elric of Melnibone books that Loz wrote for MRQII. MRQII is close enough to Mythras/RQ6 to use those books without much (if any) work. And they're very good as well.

I happened to try this yesterday (Stormbringer was my first brp game, and I feel a strong nostalgia for the setting). However, it's not quite that easy. There are a few copies on amazon, not wildly expensive, but not cheap for used books, either.

It would be truly great if TDM tried to get the license and re-issued the Elric line for Mythras. I know that it is probably not going to happen (licenses can be expensive, re-doing the books for Mythras would still be a lot of work, I guess, and there's the risk that the market is still saturated from the Mongoose edition ...). Just wanted to mention how delighted I would be!
Jakob

Postby umbraldragon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:11 pm

I converted some of this for a couple of adventures. I have most of the supplements, minus bright shadows. It does take a bit of doing, but not impossible and RQ6 is similar enough to MRQII. As far as making a new book, compatible with RQ6, I don't see that happening. You're probably better off making the conversion yourself and using that for your core. I was tempted to do that, but got sidetracked with actual RQ6 gameplay. Notably, Book of Quests and Hessaret's Treasure! :ugeek:
Certain mystes aver that the real world has been constructed by the human mind, since our ways are governed by the artificial categories into which we place essentially undifferentiated things, things weaker than our words for them.
- Gene Wolfe
umbraldragon

Return to Products and Releases