Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Fighting the Bad Man to become a shaman

Fighting the Bad Man to become a shaman

Postby gran_orco » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:40 pm

How would you do the fight with the Bad Man to become a shaman? It is a win or die test. In RQ3, the aspirant must resist in a spirit combat with the Bad Man (POW 35) for 2d6 rounds. This is pretty difficult: 1d3 MP each successful attack (95% of success for the Bad Man). This is an average of 2x6 Rounds= 12 PM, but it could be even more. But it is possible.
I have tried a spirit combat in RQ6, giving the Bad Man a Spirit Combat Skill of 110% vs the skill of the aspirant of 100%. I decided that the shaman should resist for 2d6 CYCLES instead of Rounds (in RQ3 both opponents can attack only once per Round). But in RQ6 the spirit combat works as an Opposed roll rather than a Differential roll (easily to resist than RQ3, nice), and one successful attack can inflict suddenly a damage of 2d6 (this is lethal for any human), so resisting is more difficult.
Any help?
gran_orco

Re: Fighting the Bad Man to become a shaman

Postby Runeblogger » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:02 pm

The aspirant has a skill of 100%? Not bad at all! ;)

Anyway, I would present the Bad Man as a big spirit with no time to waste on small beings like your player character, so instead of fighting himself with his 35 POW, he sends one of his hunting dogs (let's say POW 15 or whatever can be a challenge to your aspirant) to fight the character for 2D6 cycles.
Runeblogger

Postby soltakss » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:06 pm

I RQ3 I play that the fight is what makes you a shaman.

As the Bad man tears chunks out of your soul, you struggle on and somehow survive. The chunks torn from you exist as your fetch, so you need to take some damage from Bad Man otherwise you can't become a shaman.

If you survive Bad Man's assault then you allocate your POW to your Fetch as you want and become a shaman.

If you fail to survive then the Bad man has defeated you and claims your soul. Of course, he doesn't want it yet, he's quite content to leave you with your lost soul. That might cause personality disorders for the failed shaman as the Bad Man makes his presence known. So, you don't die but return as a broken person.

For Mythica/RQ6, I'd simply reduce the number of rounds the fight lasts. 2D6 seems an awful lot to lose in one round, after all.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby gran_orco » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Runeblogger wrote:The aspirant has a skill of 100%? Not bad at all! ;)

Anyway, I would present the Bad Man as a big spirit with no time to waste on small beings like your player character, so instead of fighting himself with his 35 POW, he sends one of his hunting dogs (let's say POW 15 or whatever can be a challenge to your aspirant) to fight the character for 2D6 cycles.

POW(14)x2+30 (the main chosen rune)=58 +15 extra points in the character creation+ a lot of xp won in a lot of games :D After all, if the player wants to reach the shaman rank, he needs a lot of time! ;)

But I think that reducing the fight time to 1d6 cycles should be nice. Difficult to win, in any case.
More ideas?
gran_orco

Postby Runeblogger » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:41 pm

If I were a munchkin, I could perhaps go to the Spirit Plane and search tirelessly for the ghost of a deceased initiate of a cult that offers the miracle "Spirit Block" and who still has at least 90% in Devotion. After allying with this ghost or doing a really difficult (and cool) mission for him, he could be then convinced to cast his Spirit Block at 9 intensity on the aspirant shaman. This would grant him immunity against the attacks of Intensity 5 spirits, such as the Bad Man (POW 35 = Intensity 5)!!! :mrgreen:

Would that work? I must admit, I don't have a lot of experience with the spirit combat rules in RQ6, so I may be completely wrong.
But if did, perhaps you don't want your player to find out! :lol:
Runeblogger

Return to Glorantha