Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Humakt and Berserk spell

Humakt and Berserk spell

Postby hkokko » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:22 am

Looking at creating new version of Humakt for Glorantha one pagers. Berserk spell is Death related. In RQ2 it was not associated with Humakt in RQ3 it is. What is the general consensus on this nowadays for RQ6/Glorantha/AiG world.
hkokko

Re: Humakt and Berserk spell

Postby soltakss » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:08 pm

I'm not sure about modern Glorantha, but we played that Humakti used Berserk as their Death Song, when they believed that they would die they called on Humakt to let them take as many enemies with them as they could. We didn't think that Berserk fitted in with the honourable warrior side of Humakt, so generally didn't use it in normal combat.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby hkokko » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:37 pm

This sounds right to me...
hkokko

Postby skoll » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:51 am

Not sure about the "general consensus", but in my mind Berserk and Humakt don't go together. That's more Zorak Zoran stuff. (And Storm Bull obviously.) As a matter of fact, I'm having hard time seeing why Berserk is associated with Death rune at all.
Mythras Encounter Generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
skoll

Postby chlodoweg » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:24 am

skoll wrote:Not sure about the "general consensus", but in my mind Berserk and Humakt don't go together. That's more Zorak Zoran stuff. (And Storm Bull obviously.) As a matter of fact, I'm having hard time seeing why Berserk is associated with Death rune at all.

I have to agree. I've always seen Humakti as focused on skill and technique and so Berserk doesn't really fit. I was quite disappointed when it was given to Humakti in RQIII.
chlodoweg

Postby Pentallion » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:23 pm

Berserk should fall under the Beast rune for Storm Bull. Zorak Zoran should have it, obviously. But I don't see it being a must have for Humakt.
Pentallion

Postby skoll » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:02 am

In the AiG preview, Berserk is associated with Beast and Death runes. Beast is obvious, and it's obviously the rune through with Storm Bull grants it. I assume, that Death association is there to grant it to Zorak Zoran. IMO Disorder rune (which ZZ also has) would be a better option to grant Berserk than Death.
skoll

Postby simonh » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:54 am

skoll wrote:Not sure about the "general consensus", but in my mind Berserk and Humakt don't go together. That's more Zorak Zoran stuff. (And Storm Bull obviously.) As a matter of fact, I'm having hard time seeing why Berserk is associated with Death rune at all.

Setting aside the spell name or the rules, to me a Humakti abandoning self preservation and dedicating himself solely to all-out offence as a holy act seems entirely plausible and compatible with the nature of the religion.

So the experience of and meaning of the act would be completely different from other types of Berserk, no mindless explosions of rage and fury here, we're just co-opting the same rules as a convenience.

Simon Hibbs
simonh

Postby skoll » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:52 am

simonh wrote:
Setting aside the spell name or the rules, to me a Humakti abandoning self preservation and dedicating himself solely to all-out offence as a holy act seems entirely plausible and compatible with the nature of the religion.

So the experience of and meaning of the act would be completely different from other types of Berserk, no mindless explosions of rage and fury here, we're just co-opting the same rules as a convenience.

Now that you mention this, in our Gloranthan campaign (on hiatus for the time being) I had created a similar Priest-level miracle for Humakt.

Caster goes into a fatalistic rage spreading fear all around. Caster gains intensity x 5% to his melee attack rolls. The caster can't parry or evade. Everybody trying to attack the caster must succeed in opposed willpower roll against caster's runic affinity (Death).
skoll

Return to Glorantha